Header image

LMC 1500 Track Repair (in the field).

Inquisitive

My question is regarding 'should' such a breakdown occur. Recently I had to take the track apart, to replace the front tire / wheel. I did such 'in the snow', a fair distance from 'all the right tools'. I got the job done. However, during the time I was 'disassembling' and 'reassembling', and I had a lot of time 'think' / consider... One thought came to me: What if the track actually tore in two? How would I repair such? I presume I would need some rubber belt material, etc... Hence, my original question. Let me know what you can.

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
I carry three pieces of track material which are large enough to span 2 grousers on each side of a potential tear. I also have the knowledge that my bolts can be removed in the field with what I carry. use the grouser bolts to add the band aids (no TM infringement intended) across the tear and get home. This won't work with many cats as bolt removal is not trivial. I've seen few good condition belts tear, that's probably the key, if you think it can tear, you might think about replacement. Mine is in new condition, but I also believe in murphy.

Inquisitive

I expect to be back at the machine in a week. I will look more closely at the track/s, etc... Because I have already had an 'in the field' break down that (for various reasons) took two days of 'laying in the snow' to fix, etc... I decided I would like to be better prepared, should a more significant track failure occur. Hence why I seek advice!