• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Let's discuss the $15.00 hr min wage kaws

CrakHoBarbie

Since I've been here about a week, I'm fairly sure where y'all here stand on the issue. Anybody willing to share their thoughts on the matter?

Ceee

Site Supporter
All I know about this is just local news stuff. Many of the restaurants around here are reporting that although they can open up to a fuller capacity, they can't get servers, etc. to come back to work, so they're very short staffed and just can't handle the fuller capacity. Many of the former restaurant workers are getting so much help from the government right now that they just don't want to come back to work right now...no incentive.

I was all for the help from the gov when so many restaurant workers lost their jobs due to the covid shut-downs. Maybe now the gov needs to re-think and pull back some of the help so that people will want to come back to work.

$15 min wage seems to be excessive to me.

CrakHoBarbie

All I know about this is just local news stuff. Many of the restaurants around here are reporting that although they can open up to a fuller capacity, they can't get servers, etc. to come back to work, so they're very short staffed and just can't handle the fuller capacity. Many of the former restaurant workers are getting so much help from the government right now that they just don't want to come back to work right now...no incentive.

I was all for the help from the gov when so many restaurant workers lost their jobs due to the covid shut-downs. Maybe now the gov needs to re-think and pull back some of the help so that people will want to come back to work.

$15 min wage seems to be excessive to me.
We haven't had a min-wage hike since 2009. So we're making up for lost time. Keep in mind that that $15.00 increase wouldn't even be enacted for a few years.

CrakHoBarbie

Min-wage in Texas is $7.25hr. why would anyone who's receiving pandemic rate unemployment, want to go back to work for less money than their making on unemployment? Because of the rediculously low Texas min-wage, many simply cannot afford to go back to work.

Ceee

Site Supporter
I think a lot of my nurses aides would be willing to work more, if they made 15 minimum.
??
On the flip side, how many nurses aides can they keep and pay them $15 minimum wage.

Min-wage in Texas is $7.25hr. why would anyone who's receiving pandemic rate unemployment, want to go back to work for less money than their making on unemployment? Because of the rediculously low Texas min-wage, many simply cannot afford to go back to work.
That's why I said this, "Maybe now the gov needs to re-think and pull back some of the help so that people will want to come back to work."
They must have been making a pretty good living before.
We haven't had a min-wage hike since 2009. So we're making up for lost time. Keep in mind that that $15.00 increase wouldn't even be enacted for a few years.

Biden isn't know for doing anything gradual. He's like gung-ho or nothing. I would agree with a very gradual increase. I just don't trust him to do that.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
On the flip side, how many nurses aides can they keep and pay them $15 minimum wage.
Probably most of them.
Starting pay is at 9.40 an hour.
Some who've been with us for years are only making under 12.
That's ridiculous for the work they do.

CrakHoBarbie

That's why I said this, "Maybe now the gov needs to re-think and pull back some of the help so that people will want to come back to work."
They must have been making a pretty good living before.

Biden isn't know for doing anything gradual. He's like gung-ho or nothing. I would agree with a very gradual increase. I just don't trust him to do that.
As I clearly stated, " we haven't had an increase in min-wage since 2009". So this increase has been a long time coming. Also, pandemic unemployment rates will end on Sept. 4th of this year.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
We don’t need to raise them minimum wage. We need to stop de-valuing the buying power of the US Dollar.

Inflation is what is killing working families.

People need to understand that politicians have just set loose inflation and the politicians are now pushing for higher wages to cover over the sins of their monetary policy.

Bezos and big national companies are loving all this and several have raised their wages because they know it will drive small/local businesses out of business! No competition and they make more profits. People need to wake up. Raising minimum wages only gives politicians cover to shield them from the bad policies they enacted.

CrakHoBarbie

One of the things I find so amusing about the anti-min-wage crowd is that they refuse to accept a min-wage hike, yet demand manufacturing be returned stateside. They are so incredibly short sighted and ill-informed, that they don't realize how much prices on everything, across the board, would dramatically rise IF manufacturing were to return. it would make the min-wage price hike look like a drop in a bucket. They're nothing more than a gaggle of dimwits whining about whatever Tucker or Newsmax tells them to whine about.

Last edited:

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Wow...... Well sure.... It would be great if we could go back in time and stop former Republican President Richard M. Nixon from taking us off the gold standard. That sure would be swell and I certainly would agree with that wholeheartedly. ......but...... Unfortunately, we don't have the technology to go back and stop Dick from ruining our economy. ... What we certainly do not need is more folks who think like you who condone keeping wages stagnant whilst profits steadily increase. If your business model can't support a wage increase to $15.00 per hr, then you don't belong in business.
what kind of business do you own?

CrakHoBarbie

We don’t need to raise them minimum wage. We need to stop de-valuing the buying power of the US Dollar.

Inflation is what is killing working families.

People need to understand that politicians have just set loose inflation and the politicians are now pushing for higher wages to cover over the sins of their monetary policy.

Bezos and big national companies are loving all this and several have raised their wages because they know it will drive small/local businesses out of business! No competition and they make more profits. People need to wake up. Raising minimum wages only gives politicians cover to shield them from the bad policies they enacted.
Wow...... Well sure.... It would be great if we could go back in time and stop former Republican President Richard M. Nixon from taking us off the gold standard. That sure would be swell and I certainly would agree with that wholeheartedly. ......but...... Unfortunately, we don't have the technology to go back and stop Dick from ruining our economy. ... What we certainly do not need is more folks who think like you who condone keeping wages stagnant whilst profits steadily increase. If your business model can't support a wage increase to $15.00 per hr, then you don't belong in business

CrakHoBarbie

So you don't really do anything, but give business advice without any actual experience yourself.
I ran my own shop for 30 years. But truthfully, what have you brought to the table but radical alt-right zealot conspiracy jibberish.

CrakHoBarbie

Amazon couldn’t afford 7.50/hr when it was started.
Slower growth builds character. If your business model, from startup to finish, doesn't generate enough income to pay your employees a reasonable wage, then you chose the wrong business model. That's not my fault. It's not any other taxpayers fault. It's your fault. Why should I, or any other taxpayers, have to supplement your employees because you chose a poor business model? Grow up.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
I ran my own shop for 30 years. But truthfully, what have you brought to the table but radical alt-right zealot conspiracy jibberish.
You are on some kind of crack for sure, you are a bat shit crazy progressive that is only tolerant to your own views and are the rudest condescending POS I have encountered in a while. You should write in a diary then the only opinion for you to read would be your own.

CrakHoBarbie

You are on some kind of crack for sure, you are a bat shit crazy progressive that is only tolerant to your own views and are the rudest condescending POS I have encountered in a while. You should write in a diary then the only opinion for you to read would be your own.
Wow. You really get worked up over the minimum wage topic, huh? Thank you for your honest appraisal. It means so much coming from someone who's Jesus thinks we had airports during the Revolutionary War.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
As for the minimum wage, does anyone actually believe the minimum wage is meant to give a person enough to live on and raise a family on? I don't. Minimum wage to me is for high school kids still living at home. It gives them gas money and money for their other expenses. I do not know of one adult working or job offered for an adult that is minimum wage. All start at 10 or 12 an hour and quickly jump to 15 or 17 and higher once you prove your worth.

Roofgardener

.... Inflation is what is killing working families.
Hmmm.. dunno @Melensdad . It's not like inflation is particularly high at the moment ?

In terms of inflation; I would have thought Bidens multi-trillion dollar cash injection into the economy would have a MUCH bigger inflationary effect than a minimum-wage hike ?

When the minimum-wage came in in the UK, lots of people said it would cause mass unemployment, a surge in inflation, and the destruction of the Empire. Curiously.. life went on.

Last edited:

CrakHoBarbie

If our economy cannot handle a minimum wage hike, as has been expressed here by a number of posters..... How in God's name are we to absorb the financial burden of bringing manufacturing back, which is going to cost a hell of a lot more than a min-wage bump. Can one of you lucid conservative please explain that to poor little progressive me.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hmmm.. dunno @Melensdad . It's not like inflation is particularly high at the moment ?

In terms of inflation; I would have thought Bidens multi-trillion dollar cash injection into the economy would have a MUCH bigger inflationary effect than a minimum-wage hike ?

When the minimum-wage came in in the UK, lots of people said it would cause mass unemployment, a surge in inflation, and the destruction of the Empire. Curiously.. life went on.
I get what you are saying but the data is wrong.

We are, by the accounts of most economists, entering a period of very high inflation. But even modest inflation, year-over-year, will kill the value of any fiat currency and the US dollar is now such a currency. We never should have decoupled the dollar from gold.

CrakHoBarbie

I get what you are saying but the data is wrong.

We are, by the accounts of most economists, entering a period of very high inflation. But even modest inflation, year-over-year, will kill the value of any fiat currency and the US dollar is now such a currency. We never should have decoupled the dollar from gold.
We can thank dear Dick for that. But if the MW doesn't at least keep up with inflation, hyperinflation won't be our only problem. I think the U.S. has kept things together quite well as far as Inflation is concerned. But that may be because of the Petro dollar and our currency being the default World currency. But as dollar hegemony ends, things could go from bad to worse very quickly.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
If our economy cannot handle a minimum wage hike, as has been expressed here by a number of posters..... How in God's name are we to absorb the financial burden of bringing manufacturing back, which is going to cost a hell of a lot more than a min-wage bump. Can one of you lucid conservative please explain that to poor little progressive me.
I'm probably missing it but why will brining back manufacturing jobs cost. Companies are making their goods in some other country. Not paying taxes here or wages here. if they come back to US they will once again pay a share of employee taxes, unemployment and social security. Depending on location they might be given a tax break for a few years but overall it would be a net gain to our country. What am I missing?

As for a minimum wage bump to $15, who will pay that? All consumers will pay. Companies that do pay minimum wage will look for ways to automate those jobs. So high schoolers will not be able to work, at least not as many of them. Who wins in this scenario? Big business and half the high schoolers who get to have a $15hr job. Companies who automate will save dollars but still raise prices simply because they can and they will justify it due to the higher minimum wage. Consumers all pay more.