Let's discuss the $15.00 hr min wage kaws

CrakHoBarbie

Since I've been here about a week, I'm fairly sure where y'all here stand on the issue. Anybody willing to share their thoughts on the matter?

Ceee

All I know about this is just local news stuff. Many of the restaurants around here are reporting that although they can open up to a fuller capacity, they can't get servers, etc. to come back to work, so they're very short staffed and just can't handle the fuller capacity. Many of the former restaurant workers are getting so much help from the government right now that they just don't want to come back to work right now...no incentive.

I was all for the help from the gov when so many restaurant workers lost their jobs due to the covid shut-downs. Maybe now the gov needs to re-think and pull back some of the help so that people will want to come back to work.

$15 min wage seems to be excessive to me.

CrakHoBarbie

All I know about this is just local news stuff. Many of the restaurants around here are reporting that although they can open up to a fuller capacity, they can't get servers, etc. to come back to work, so they're very short staffed and just can't handle the fuller capacity. Many of the former restaurant workers are getting so much help from the government right now that they just don't want to come back to work right now...no incentive.

I was all for the help from the gov when so many restaurant workers lost their jobs due to the covid shut-downs. Maybe now the gov needs to re-think and pull back some of the help so that people will want to come back to work.

$15 min wage seems to be excessive to me.
We haven't had a min-wage hike since 2009. So we're making up for lost time. Keep in mind that that $15.00 increase wouldn't even be enacted for a few years.

CrakHoBarbie

Min-wage in Texas is $7.25hr. why would anyone who's receiving pandemic rate unemployment, want to go back to work for less money than their making on unemployment? Because of the rediculously low Texas min-wage, many simply cannot afford to go back to work.

Ceee

I think a lot of my nurses aides would be willing to work more, if they made 15 minimum.
😏😐
On the flip side, how many nurses aides can they keep and pay them $15 minimum wage.

Min-wage in Texas is $7.25hr. why would anyone who's receiving pandemic rate unemployment, want to go back to work for less money than their making on unemployment? Because of the rediculously low Texas min-wage, many simply cannot afford to go back to work.
That's why I said this, "Maybe now the gov needs to re-think and pull back some of the help so that people will want to come back to work."
They must have been making a pretty good living before.
We haven't had a min-wage hike since 2009. So we're making up for lost time. Keep in mind that that $15.00 increase wouldn't even be enacted for a few years.

Biden isn't know for doing anything gradual. He's like gung-ho or nothing. I would agree with a very gradual increase. I just don't trust him to do that.

pirate_girl

Infirmière essentielle
GOLD Site Supporter
On the flip side, how many nurses aides can they keep and pay them $15 minimum wage.
Probably most of them.
Starting pay is at 9.40 an hour.
Some who've been with us for years are only making under 12.
That's ridiculous for the work they do.

CrakHoBarbie

That's why I said this, "Maybe now the gov needs to re-think and pull back some of the help so that people will want to come back to work."
They must have been making a pretty good living before.

Biden isn't know for doing anything gradual. He's like gung-ho or nothing. I would agree with a very gradual increase. I just don't trust him to do that.
As I clearly stated, " we haven't had an increase in min-wage since 2009". So this increase has been a long time coming. Also, pandemic unemployment rates will end on Sept. 4th of this year.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
We don’t need to raise them minimum wage. We need to stop de-valuing the buying power of the US Dollar.

Inflation is what is killing working families.

People need to understand that politicians have just set loose inflation and the politicians are now pushing for higher wages to cover over the sins of their monetary policy.

Bezos and big national companies are loving all this and several have raised their wages because they know it will drive small/local businesses out of business! No competition and they make more profits. People need to wake up. Raising minimum wages only gives politicians cover to shield them from the bad policies they enacted.

CrakHoBarbie

One of the things I find so amusing about the anti-min-wage crowd is that they refuse to accept a min-wage hike, yet demand manufacturing be returned stateside. They are so incredibly short sighted and ill-informed, that they don't realize how much prices on everything, across the board, would dramatically rise IF manufacturing were to return. it would make the min-wage price hike look like a drop in a bucket. They're nothing more than a gaggle of dimwits whining about whatever Tucker or Newsmax tells them to whine about.

Last edited:

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Wow...... Well sure.... It would be great if we could go back in time and stop former Republican President Richard M. Nixon from taking us off the gold standard. That sure would be swell and I certainly would agree with that wholeheartedly. ......but...... Unfortunately, we don't have the technology to go back and stop Dick from ruining our economy. ... What we certainly do not need is more folks who think like you who condone keeping wages stagnant whilst profits steadily increase. If your business model can't support a wage increase to $15.00 per hr, then you don't belong in business.
what kind of business do you own?

CrakHoBarbie

We don’t need to raise them minimum wage. We need to stop de-valuing the buying power of the US Dollar.

Inflation is what is killing working families.

People need to understand that politicians have just set loose inflation and the politicians are now pushing for higher wages to cover over the sins of their monetary policy.

Bezos and big national companies are loving all this and several have raised their wages because they know it will drive small/local businesses out of business! No competition and they make more profits. People need to wake up. Raising minimum wages only gives politicians cover to shield them from the bad policies they enacted.
Wow...... Well sure.... It would be great if we could go back in time and stop former Republican President Richard M. Nixon from taking us off the gold standard. That sure would be swell and I certainly would agree with that wholeheartedly. ......but...... Unfortunately, we don't have the technology to go back and stop Dick from ruining our economy. ... What we certainly do not need is more folks who think like you who condone keeping wages stagnant whilst profits steadily increase. If your business model can't support a wage increase to $15.00 per hr, then you don't belong in business

CrakHoBarbie

So you don't really do anything, but give business advice without any actual experience yourself.
I ran my own shop for 30 years. But truthfully, what have you brought to the table but radical alt-right zealot conspiracy jibberish.

CrakHoBarbie

Amazon couldn’t afford 7.50/hr when it was started.
Slower growth builds character. If your business model, from startup to finish, doesn't generate enough income to pay your employees a reasonable wage, then you chose the wrong business model. That's not my fault. It's not any other taxpayers fault. It's your fault. Why should I, or any other taxpayers, have to supplement your employees because you chose a poor business model? Grow up.