• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Lawrence Welk Show: ONE TOKE OVER THE LINE

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I grew up watching The Lawrence Welk Show every week with my grandparents.

Don't recall seeing this live. Probably wouldn't have believe it if I didn't see it for myself.

A "modern spiritual" according to Mr Welk. It should be noted that President Richard Nixon tried to ban the song, which was preformed on the Lawrence Welk Show by Dale and Dale, and in other places by Jerry Garcia and the Greatful Dead.

UberBastid

Growing up in San Francisco in the late 60's early 70's was a world class education in many ways. It was the golden era of that city. It was clean and safe. As a long haired hippy kid it kept me busy and out of trouble. Entertainment abounded.

Me and a room mate rented a studio apartment in the Haight. It was over a pizza parlor and cost all of $250 a month. We set up a stolen street light and put it over a bag weed pot seed and got it growing. It smelled so strong that the owner of the pizza store complained to us, so we got some ducting and set a fan and ducted it into the toilet.
It stunk up the WHOLE NEIGHBORHOOD. For three blocks in all directions the smell of skunk was rampant. Herb Cain wrote about it in the San Francisco Examiner. LoL. Cops were going door-to-door trying to find us.
We harvested early ... LoL.
Some of my fondest memories were of concerts and chasing hairy hippie girls.

I saw many artists who later to become famous people doing free concerts in Golden Gate Park, and even a ticket at a venue only cost $20 or so.
I got to party with a few of them too. George Carlin, Janis Joplin, Steve Perry, Eric Clapton among them. Watched George Carlin and Eric Clapton writing lyrics to a song that was never recorded.

Day on the Green in Oakland was always memorable ... every one of them was a weekend party.

Janis Joplin
Grateful Dead
Santana
Eagles
Pink Floyd
Stones

and many many more, some that I struggle to remember.
HOW did I ever live through those days?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Growing up in San Francisco in the late 60's early 70's was a world class education in many ways. It was the golden era of that city. It was clean and safe. . .
Last time I was in SF was 2019 and it was a shit hole then, clearly a city if free fall. The tourist areas were fairly nice and safe but the neighborhoods were pretty dicy. We had an AirBnB rental and it bordered a nicer area and a crap area. 1 block the wrong way and you were taking your life in your own hands, 1 block the right way and it was reasonably safe to walk around without beggars/druggies pestering you.

UberBastid

Last time I was in SF was 2019 and it was a shit hole then, clearly a city if free fall. The tourist areas were fairly nice and safe but the neighborhoods were pretty dicy. We had an AirBnB rental and it bordered a nicer area and a crap area. 1 block the wrong way and you were taking your life in your own hands, 1 block the right way and it was reasonably safe to walk around without beggars/druggies pestering you.
OMG, it breaks my heart to go there now.
Last time I was there I noticed that AS SOON as you cross over the Bay Bridge it starts smelling like piss.
The whole city smells like piss.

Communism ruins EVERYTHING.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Did southern Ca. in the 80's, I should still be in jail. Last time I was in S/F was around 2015. Went to fishermans warf, used to be one of my favorite places. It was a shit hole. The guys that perform, singing guitar etc. were being accosted by the drunken, durgged bums. Cops everywhere on bikes, but did nothing.

• Sad
Reactions: Doc