• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Kitchen Reno

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
🤣 all seriousness. I survived a 4 month master bath reno followed by a 10 month kitchen reno. I need help. 😫

10 months is beyond extreme. Maybe you should get therapy? Or a "support dog" for remodeling induced PTSD?

We gutted and rebuilt Melen's 1500 sq ft condo in Chicago in far less time. Still took too long, but mostly that is because I would only work up there a few days a week. We did not touch her bathrooms, but every other square inch was re-done. I am looking at a master bath reno, somewhat smaller than your job, but I'm allocating 2 weeks (assuming I have all the parts). The fixtures and tile are not on order yet.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
We finally got around to picking out a few samples for the backsplash. We didn't want the boring plain white subway tiles that most people nowadays seem to go with. So we chose a few different styles as options.

20240213_151804.jpg20240213_151847.jpg

We are leaning towards the middle grey square tiles.

20240213_151938.jpg

We have decided to hire someone to install the tile as even though I could do it, my back won't allow me to be crouched down bent over all day. Same goes for the range hood. I could do it but lately I can't lift my arms above my shoulders. So I informed she who must be obeyed that I can't do it. At least we have a functional kitchen.

The final doors arrived a few weeks ago and were installed.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I love the "irregular edge" on the square tiles you are considering. The sharp clean edge on most subway tiles looks great in some situations but also can be tiring to see day after day after day. The casual/irregular edge breaks up the lines a bit and I think looks better.

If you go with one of the grey tones, what color grout will you use? Something that matches or something that contrasts?

I did my daughter's kitchen and service buffet in rectangular tile with an irregular edge similar to the tiles you are considering. But she chose an iridescent white. White tile with a glaze that has an irregular iridescent effect. The glaze gives it some character. I would have probably picked a light grey.

71562546504__4D295A1C-2105-4371-A834-B7ED99231215.jpeg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
We aren't sure on the grout. Thinking of light grey? Seeing as the flooring is irregular grey slate square tiles which is the same as the fireplace in the living room, the middle grey square tiles would tie everything together nicely.