• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Kayaks

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Anybody have them? Any special things I should know about them before buying. Will mostly be on a large lake. Want to buy two. One for my wife nd me each..

Kane

Have you tried kayaking before? Some folks can really get into it, but some consider it hard work going nowhere, 'specially folks as old as 55.

May want to invest in a canoe for two with a small outboard. Or not.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Have you tried kayaking before? Some folks can really get into it, but some consider it hard work going nowhere, 'specially folks as old as 55.

May want to invest in a canoe for two with a small outboard. Or not.

I maybe 55 years old but I am sure I can handle it just fine. After all I did just pedal my ass 75 miles on a bike averaging 16 mph just over 4 hours. :yum:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Paddling around on a lake with minimal current you will be fine. They are all arm and belly work to paddle them. You will be hurting when you first get into it.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
We do NOT own any but I do rent them from time to time. I like the Ocean brand kayaks that are "sit on top" style rather than the "sit in" style. I've used them on the Atlantic and in the Florida keys. They are stable and pretty dry but not suitable for whitewater rivers. They can handle waves and surf but not rapids. They are also excellent for calm waters.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
I believe in 46' kayaks. It's alot of work operating the throttles.

But when we were in California, we had a couple of "Royak" kayaks. They had a rudder too. We'd motor out to Anacapa or Santa Barbara, put the kayaks in the water, and play around the islands. We'd use them in Ventura Harbor where we kept our boat too. What I need now is a good old fashioned canoe for the river now.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
My use would mostly be on a lake that has a river run through it. Can get some good waves from the wind and other boats. Some learning lessons I am sure.

Kane

The only good thing about kayaks is that they are not nearly as despicable as sail boats. :yuk:

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
WAIT A MINUTE! What's wrong with sail boats?

Nothing, if at the bottom of the marianas trench.

Actually, nothing wrong with sailboats; it's the owners. "The wind is free and so is everything else." Like a robin - cheap, cheap, cheap. And like cows - MOOch, MOOch, MOOch.

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
My use would mostly be on a lake that has a river run through it. Can get some good waves from the wind and other boats. Some learning lessons I am sure.
I would think something like this would be more your style Murph, they also make different types that seat more then one person. :biggrin:

Attachments

• pedal_boat_strider.jpg
    pedal_boat_strider.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 45