• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Just bought a condo in Chicago, or Chiraq, for my daughter

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Wish us luck.

My daughter makes a very good living but only been doing the lawyer thing for about 18 months. So while she has income, she doesn't have enough in savings to buy a condo. Lives in Chicago and paying rent. Can't afford a down payment.

I looked at a condo yesterday with her. I put in an offer to buy it this morning. A little dickering and the seller has taken my offer. I'll be doing a rent to own contract with my daughter.

I'm wondering if, now that I own a condo in the city, if I can get a license to carry a handgun in Illinois?

power1

Wish us luck.

My daughter makes a very good living but only been doing the lawyer thing for about 18 months. So while she has income, she doesn't have enough in savings to buy a condo. Lives in Chicago and paying rent. Can't afford a down payment.

I looked at a condo yesterday with her. I put in an offer to buy it this morning. A little dickering and the seller has taken my offer. I'll be doing a rent to own contract with my daughter.

I'm wondering if, now that I own a condo in the city, if I can get a license to carry a handgun in Illinois?
Where I live you do not need a license. Just strap it on and go.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Wish us luck.

You will need it

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
If you can get a permit on residency great, if you can't, I would look into the offense. If it is a low class misdemeanor. pay the fine. ( should you be revealed )

Its their rules follow them. ;-)

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Its amazing what can change in a couple hours drive
Yep, it is for that reason I refuse to enter New York state for any reason other than the obvious need to drive through that god foresaken place to get somewhere else. I will not step foot in that place or give them one red cent. I can carry here without a permit but if found carrying in NY it is a 10 year sentence and most likely the liberal judge with give the maximum sentence even on a first offense given the fact it is a communist state run by the douche bag houcel.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
If you can get a permit on residency great, if you can't, I would look into the offense. If it is a low class misdemeanor. pay the fine. ( should you be revealed )

I'm going to see what legal avenues are available to me. I can't claim full residency. So that may be problematic. But I know I can transport from home to condo and condo to home. That is an improvement, not a great one, but it is something. The best solution will be to get a permit, if that is available to me now that I am a homeowner in the state.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm sitting on the couch in pain today.

Been remodeling the condo. I did all the carpet/padding removal by myself. Demolished most of the walls alone, but had help on Friday. Friday we finished the demo and just started rebuilding walls, pulling up carpet tack strips, sweeping construction debris, etc.

Yesterday was a long day with a wedding, so no manual labor, but I was active.

This morning I got up, popped some Advil, watched Catholic mass on TV and then headed up to Chicago before 8am.

More clean up. Then met with an electrician and described the scope of work I need him to do. All of it is easy, but the building requires a licensed & insured contractor. He will start Tuesday.

I'm back home, but lots more Advil, and a tramadol chaser.

tempImage03nMoZ.jpg

Monday I will be building 2 more walls with my friend Rick & his son, installing a couple doors, building a small closet. There will be 1500 square feet of engineered wood planking delivered and we'll be overseeing removal of all the construction debris (1500 sq ft of carpet, same amount of underlayment, and lots of destroyed drywall) while making sure our tools stay put.

tempImagesRQ81X.jpg

Opening up the small galley kitchen and putting in a peninsula with a cooktop. Refrigerator will be repositioned to the spot where the range is currently located. A buffet service area will be built into the dining room.

This condo was originally a 3 bedroom 2 full bathroom unit. Nice size living room, reasonable size dining area, but a small kitchen. The former owner took down a couple walls. Turned it into a 2 bedroom with a giant master suite. We are taking it back to (nearly) the original floorpan.

tempImageC3qUAo.jpg

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

SO JUST A FOLLOW UP

Illinois law seems to allow out of state citizens with a valid carry license to carry WHILE IN A VEHICLE. It is also legal to transport your gun from your vehicle ON YOUR PROPERTY to your HOME. So most apartments and condos seem to use an outside service that operates the parking garage separately. That is a big problem for most buildings and many public parking facilities are NO CARRY ZONES.

This unit has its own parking, on its own property, under common ownerships and common operation. In theory, I can drive legally armed from "home to home" and then transport the gun into the condo, since I am the owner. Can't wander the neighborhoods armed. But at least I can legally get there and back, armed.

Reactions: Doc

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
SO JUST A FOLLOW UP

Illinois law seems to allow out of state citizens with a valid carry license to carry WHILE IN A VEHICLE. It is also legal to transport your gun from your vehicle ON YOUR PROPERTY to your HOME. So most apartments and condos seem to use an outside service that operates the parking garage separately. That is a big problem for most buildings and many public parking facilities are NO CARRY ZONES.

This unit has its own parking, on its own property, under common ownerships and common operation. In theory, I can drive legally armed from "home to home" and then transport the gun into the condo, since I am the owner. Can't wander the neighborhoods armed. But at least I can legally get there and back, armed.
State statue or chi-raq city ordinance

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
State statue or chi-raq city ordinance
It is state law. Illinois is a very annoying state, they allowed special restrictions for the Chicago metro area, under their state gun statues so it is actually very difficult for honest citizens to comply with legal carry within the city of Chicago due to the state carve out.

REMODELING UPDATE:

Melen moves into the condo on Friday. There will be NO KITCHEN in the condo when she moves in. She will get by with an old refrigerator, plus, on a board or box, she will have a coffee pot and a microwave.

The wood floor was delivered late last week, the truck driver was a piece of crap and pretty much dumped the pallet off the back of the truck into the parking lot. Whole thing fell 4' to the pavement, including his pallet jack. So a new floor had to be shipped from Georgia. It is now in a shipping terminal in a suburb of Chicago. Melen hired a company to go pick up the floor from the terminal on Monday and carry the boxes up to the apartment.

We will start installing the new-new floor early Tuesday. Buddy of mine is coming to help. Plus my carpenter friend and his son. So 4 of us on Tuesday, then 3 of us Wednesday and Thursday. 1500 square feet of engineered wood planks. Honestly we can probably get MOST of it done. Probably not the quarter round and closets, maybe not the long hallway, but with any luck we will have the rooms pretty much done and she can get her furniture inside. Worst case I can finish the perimeter of the rooms after she moves in. Building rules only allow construction between the hours of 8am and 5pm, so no way to work late into the evenings.

We are still building the kitchen peninsula too. Framing will finish on that and a couple doorways on Monday. Drywall will be up, and mudded, but not painted before she moves in.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
FLOOR WAS DONE before she moved in on Friday.

Still have some trim work to do, painting too.

Kitchen is NOT built.

I'll go back on Thursday to finish building the counter height walls. Electrician is there today to run some more conduit.

Overall the progress is going very quickly, but it would have been better if she could have extended her old lease by 1 extra month!!!
IMG_8265.jpeg
IMG_8260.jpeg
IMG_8261.jpeg
IMG_8254.jpeg
70620895675__8E170C98-99C6-4BD6-94ED-548FF8548EF0.jpeg

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Progress is slow, largely because I have not been going up there more than 1 or 2 days a week. I will go back up there tomorrow along with my buddy & his son. Both are faster carpenters than I am, we should get all the big stuff finished up tomorrow??? I hope.

Yesterday I went up there after lunch, fixed a toilet that was leaking at the bowl/base joint. Took down a vintage (crap) ceiling fan and replaced that with a new one, installed a motorized blackout blind and also leveled and secured the base cabinets in the kitchen. Not bad for a couple hours of work.

70778134584__CE967161-C3C9-4F6A-A600-7330C43C91F9.jpeg

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Not quite finished, but hopefully ready for painting by the end of the day today?

Cabinets are hung.

The dishwasher is FINALLY working. 3 trips to the Ace Hardware to get all the parts for that.

Refrigerator is hooked up to the water line so we are now dispensing water and ice too.

Soffit is build over the sink area, wiring is ready for the light fixture to be hung as soon as the finish work on the new soffit's drywall is sanded.

Met with a guy who does crown moulding installs. He is going to give us a bid. Just don't want to waste a lot of materials and time doing it wrong only to have to pay someone to come in and do it right and then end up paying for it twice. It is sometimes better to let the right guy do the job. I know I am not that guy for the crown moulding.

Lost the $37 GFI/Switch combo somewhere in the construction mess. Checked the inventory for 1 at the HOme Depot that is actually on my way home from the condo. Said 6 were in stock. Got there and there were ZERO in stock. So 35 minutes later I'm at another Home Depot and have a switch/GFI combo in my hand. Got home shortly after 8pm. Should be a similar day today. But hopefully done? Or done enough that she can start painting. I don't paint.

There are 2 cabinets that are not installed. Both are on back order. One is a base, it will slide into place next to the refrigerator. The other is a wall, it will finish her pantry. But again, should not be an issue to get into place. Counter tops need to be measured and installed. That is a job for the Home Depot contractor, not for me.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
That's a huge job to take on. Wow.
Worst part was the floor. I wanted that done before she moved in. Actually wanted her to move in at the end of June instead of early May. But she could not extend her lease. Could not have done this with all her stuff in her apartment and then do the floor. But we managed to get the floor in the day before she moved in.

Most things were pretty straight forward ward. Build 3 new walls to turn the condo back into its original 3 bedroom floorpan. Tore out the kitchen, rebuilt that as an open concept kitchen.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Not quite finished, but hopefully ready for painting by the end of the day today?

Cabinets are hung.

The dishwasher is FINALLY working. 3 trips to the Ace Hardware to get all the parts for that.

Refrigerator is hooked up to the water line so we are now dispensing water and ice too.

Soffit is build over the sink area, wiring is ready for the light fixture to be hung as soon as the finish work on the new soffit's drywall is sanded.

Met with a guy who does crown moulding installs. He is going to give us a bid. Just don't want to waste a lot of materials and time doing it wrong only to have to pay someone to come in and do it right and then end up paying for it twice. It is sometimes better to let the right guy do the job. I know I am not that guy for the crown moulding.

Lost the $37 GFI/Switch combo somewhere in the construction mess. Checked the inventory for 1 at the HOme Depot that is actually on my way home from the condo. Said 6 were in stock. Got there and there were ZERO in stock. So 35 minutes later I'm at another Home Depot and have a switch/GFI combo in my hand. Got home shortly after 8pm. Should be a similar day today. But hopefully done? Or done enough that she can start painting. I don't paint.

There are 2 cabinets that are not installed. Both are on back order. One is a base, it will slide into place next to the refrigerator. The other is a wall, it will finish her pantry. But again, should not be an issue to get into place. Counter tops need to be measured and installed. That is a job for the Home Depot contractor, not for me.
Im not a crown molding guy either, when I did a remodel a few years back on a rental I sold, I used dap in my crappy joints and sanded it. when painted it looked like I did a great job on the crown molding.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
ALL of the heavy construction is DONE.

All the baseboards are caulked, all the new electrical is working and light fixtures updated.

Tools and debris are still there. The condo is a total mess. DUST EVERYWHERE.

There are 2 cabinets and countertops in the kitchen to install. But those are all on order so can't be done yet. Cabinets will go in easy, I just need to wait for them to show up, but at least she can use the kitchen and fill the 90% of the cabinets with food and dishes. Counter tops are the problem of an installer so NOT MY JOB! Crown moulding was picked up tonight on my way home. . . but installing it is NOT MY JOB.

There is about 12' of baseboard that that needs to be installed, but I ran out and couldn't get that installed. I picked it up tonight on my way home so that is literally a 20 minute job to complete.

Painting is also NOT MY JOB but the walls are ready for prime and paint.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Picked up the last of the 6” baseboards that I needed to finish the condo. Also got a couple pieces of trim boards for the cabinets and a few pieces of crown moulding to see if they match up to the current crown moulding.

The lovely Mrs_Bob plans to go to the condo tomorrow and spend the day, night and then Tuesday. She paints. I do not paint. Not sure if they will be painting or just looking at paint!?! Either way its not my problem!

Honestly I suspect there will be a lot of cleaning and unpacking of boxes and cleaning and arranging things and probably more cleaning. We got drywall dust and sawdust pretty much everywhere. Combine that construction dust with a shedding Corgi and the whole place is going to need a serious deep cleaning.
IMG_8456.jpeg
IMG_8459.jpeg
IMG_8460.jpeg
IMG_8458.jpeg
IMG_8457.jpeg
IMG_8454.jpeg

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Best thing I found to de dust after sanding ( the house has to be empty though) is open all the windows and go after it with a leaf blower. sounds crazy but does a good job quickly.
I'm going to suggest that, but given that all her furniture and belongings are in the condo, i suspect bucket and mop will be the favored tools.

Ross 650

Site Supporter
Man, I have been following your posts. You have done a lot of work. The best part of it is that it will look great when you are finished!!! GOOD JOB!!!!!!!

Reactions: Doc

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Man, I have been following your posts. You have done a lot of work. The best part of it is that it will look great when you are finished!!! GOOD JOB!!!!!!!
I do OK work. My friend Ricardo, who is really about as handy and knowledgeable as "Norm" from THIS OLD HOUSE is the lead, I'm more of the Bob Villa, or maybe the Tim the Tool Man Taylor character of the construction crew. I can pretty much do the jobs, I do do the jobs, but he does them faster, better and does them without thinking. I spend a lot of time trying to figure them out.

Electrical is usually pretty easy for me, but the building required we bring in an INSURED electrician for the new electrical runs. I did the lights and outlets after the 'pro' left. Drywall is something I hate, Ricardo & his son did 90% of that. Building a stud wall is no big deal. I hate plumbing, Ricardo can do it, but the building required we bring in an INSURED plumber. The floor was simple, just a big job, 4 of us worked on that, got it all done in 2 days. I did the baseboards and 1/4 round myself. I did some of the cabinets, but with a bum arm, I left the wall cabinets to Ricardo, with me as a supporting actor, and mostly just a left arm. Almost all the demolition of the original condo unit was me. Almost all the complicated stuff like building door frames from scratch, was my brother from a different mother, Ricardo.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm going to suggest that, but given that all her furniture and belongings are in the condo, i suspect bucket and mop will be the favored tools.
I'm going to second the leaf blower or at least a strong shop vac with frequent cleanings of the filter. Cover the furniture with old sheets or drop cloths if/as needed.
In my experience of cleaning drywall dust, once it's wet if you use the mop/bucket, it basically turns back into joint compound and smears as well as clogs the mop/sponge quickly.
It's too late now for this project but instead of sanding your joint compound, use a damp/wet sponge to do the finish work. It does as well as sanding but no dust.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
I'm going to second the leaf blower or at least a strong shop vac with frequent cleanings of the filter. Cover the furniture with old sheets or drop cloths if/as needed.
In my experience of cleaning drywall dust, once it's wet if you use the mop/bucket, it basically turns back into joint compound and smears as well as clogs the mop/sponge quickly.
It's too late now for this project but instead of sanding your joint compound, use a damp/wet sponge to do the finish work. It does as well as sanding but no dust.
Ill have to try that one.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I'll second the wet sanding. After my kitchen renovation (which isn't done yet as we're waiting for the cabinets to arrive), my first round of sanding created a load of dust in the house. Shop vac filter kept clogging up and made even more dust by spreading it around instead of sucking it up. I switched to wet sanding with a sponge and there was virtually no dust.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
And the office is now occupied. I dunno why. The walls are not painted!!!

IMG_1062.jpeg

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Shore is looking good. You are a genuine handyman!!!!!
Ha, I need to move the computer desk to install the baseboards. The last 2 pieces of baseboard are in my garage, along with some crown moulding I picked up and some other trim wood I need to cut on site.

And I don't know why the heck she moved that stuff in there BEFORE she painted the walls. I strongly suspect that those walls will remain unpainted for quite a while. Melen is not very handy or motivated to do things like paint. I made it very clear that I do NOT paint walls. My wife and sister-in-law paint and do so pretty quickly, but now the furniture is in the way so I suspect that they are not too motivated to get in there to 'help' but that is, as I said, NOT my problem.

The 3rd bedroom (office is the 2nd bedroom) is now the storage room and there are boxes and misc stuff in there. My wife is going through that to get rid of stuff that can go to the burn pile (don't tell the enviro-nazis that I actually have a burn pile!). The rest will be tossed into the trash or, if its legit stuff that needs to be unpacked, she will try to unpack and put it away. I will be moving the compound miter saw and other mess-making tools into the 3rd bedroom, but should be able to contain all the debris in that room while we finish the bits of trim and cabinetry that needs to be completed.

I probably won't be back there until Sunday. Home Depot has the final cabinet waiting for me to pick up that I need to make the floor to ceiling pantry. This morning I cut a 1" wide filler board for the kitchen, it will go between the base cabinet and the refrigerator to close the gap; even painted the cut edge to match the face. Cutting long narrow strips of wood is always a challenge for me, glad I had 2 chances to do it because I totally screwed up the 1st attempt and ended up with a nice angled cut. Fortunately I had a 3" wide piece of wood so I was able to flip it around, rip it again, and this time keep it tight to the fence and make a nice straight cut.