• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

It’s the biggest ransomware attack in history. Are you ready to protect yourself?

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Good info from Kurt the cyber guy. Emails can be very tricky and seem legit even when they are not.

======================================================================

It’s the biggest ransomware attack in history. Are you ready to protect yourself?​

9fc8fe143ac0062fb35fd5c3b1d95868
BY KURT KNUTSSON
qtq80-K05VHI.jpeg

COMMENT

LOVE

The shear size and scope of victims now realizing they are being held hostage by ransomware attacker REvil is mind boggling. This is that moment that American and western businesses thought they were protected but missed the most basic security barrier allowing a systemwide compromise.
Now the infamous criminal ransomware enterprise known as REvil is demanding $70 million after claiming they’ve hacked and infected 40,000 computers. Cybersecurity firm that was used in the ongoing attack says the number of victims is closer to 1,500 total.

We’re not stupid. Ransomware hackers just got smarter.​

Today’s ransomware hackers are amongst the most convincing criminals we have ever encountered. Our mistaken mindset is one of the biggest weaknesses. “It can’t happen to me?” and “I don’t fall for scams” no longer apply.
Hackers are more gifted at disrupting lives and manipulating people just like you and me through more convincing techniques that include investments in AI software to identify you as their next target. Their criminal scam is so well thought out before an attack that they have mastered the act of turning us into fools.

How ransomware hackers are tricking us​

Knowing how some of the latest ransomware scams work will help you avoid falling victim. We’re learning everyday the techniques that are more and more intimate, making us think we should interact to a malicious text, email and social media post.

Learn to Spot These Malicious Emails​

• When you look closely at the sender’s email address, it’s not exactly correct.
What Hackers Can Learn From Your Social Media Profile

• Something about the tone is slightly off. At first glance it may seem right, but take a beat longer with a skeptical eye, and you see something not as expected.
  • Hover over a link or email address without clicking to see if it looks off. Such as added characters or numbers.
  • Links in the email may show a misspelled or strange web address. Such as “TrustedSiteName-02920423.com”
  • Most companies do not ever send email asking for credentials.
  • When you encounter a call-to-action link or button, let that raise a red flag. It means someone could be phishing for personal information to compromise your security.
  • If you should ever get an email like this, never click on any links. If you want to double check, again, don’t click on any links in the email but instead, open up a new browser and type in the company web address and log into your account. If the email you just received is true, the information should be reflected in your account. Odds are, the email you just received is malicious and you should mark it as “junk” or delete it.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
E-mail has become so ubiquitous, we assume it is like using the phone. And we make this assumption far too often. Both companies and individuals are therefore easy prey for these scammers. At my company, we only allow three people to use or communicate via E-mail. For this very reason.

I get the Pay-Pal warning about once a week. I don't have a Pay-Pal account.

Yesterday, I received and e-mail from a former employee. It appeared genuine because they even got my name right, spelled with a "c" not a "k". What was curious was there was a duplication, two E-Mails with an odd series of numbers and letters as the link. Obviously SPAM.

Had there been only one I may not have caught it.

My small company gets about 200 E-mails a day. I spend a good hour of my day dumping junk E-mail. Never had to do that with my phone or FAX machine. I cannot imagine what big corporations endure. Honestly, I would prefer we go back to using the telephone.

Reactions: Doc

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
My small company gets about 200 E-mails a day. I spend a good hour of my day dumping junk E-mail. Never had to do that with my phone or FAX machine. I cannot imagine what big corporations endure. Honestly, I would prefer we go back to using the telephone.
I used to waste my time with E mails. Now I am telling business associates to phone me when they send one, so I go in and get it.
less stress more time. E mail is now effectually a worthless form of communication in many ways. Nor is it secure, and it the main way a hacker gets into your machine... So I in a way cancel the culture of E mail.

Reactions: Doc