• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Insurance for our toys?

tenmile

After reading through a few of the threads on here, I thought it would be easy to find insurance for our Sno-Cat. I was wrong. I'm not sure if situations have changed since when many of those threads were originally posted, but seems as if it's not as easy as it once was.

In my case, I'm in CO with it registered as Snowmobile. My homeowners won't add it as a rider, and my independent agent can't find someone to register it as a snowmobile (i.e. Progressive which one person on here said they used advised because it's on tracks and not skis, they won't cover it). I've gone so far as to look at Commercial insurance, but that's a hefty price tag for the privilege.

So, what say you? What are people doing for insurance and what are you paying?

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a letter saying it's part of our "farm policy". In the past I found an independent that would cover it but it is a difficult slope.

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
mmmmm, sadly I find most people do not have insurance, though, if not registered as a snowmobile, your homeowners policy does cover the liability. and some have gotten insurance as a snowmobile and that works, really the key is staying with the quest and have an independent agent that is willing to do the work, you can find a good policy that you can afford.

my cats are covered under a garage keepers policy

Last edited:

zspryte

Site Supporter
Registered as an over-the-snow vehicle with the state and State Farm covers it. On the policy under "how is this vehicle normally used" it says "recreational use" where as for my snowmobiles it says "snowmobile" in that spot.

A few years back someone said state farm won't write any new policies for snowcats - perhaps things have change. I'd give them a try since they are still covering mine.

GMoose

GOLD Site Supporter
I have liability insurance only on my recreational vehicles (dirt bikes, snow bike, snow cats) through Farm Bureau here in Idaho. They do not charge me any extra on my policy for these machines. They carry all my insurance, including a balloon liability policy.

tenmile

Thanks for all the replies! For clarity, @Cidertom, @GMoose and @Melensdad do all of you carry Farm Equipment insurance as part of a farm for agricultural use? Is other farm equipment on that policy? I'm trying to see if I can open a standalone farm equipment policy for this as a tractor, but since I don't work any land, I'm wondering if that's even a possibility.

My insurance agent found that Auto-Owners insurance would be willing to write it as a rider to my homeowners, but I'd have to switch my homeowners to them which was a lot more $ and headache as it changes some other policies I have so I was trying to avoid that if possible. Safeco won't do it (current provider). StateFarm said no at first ask but I can dive a bit deeper on it. Progressive also said no to me multiple different times and ways.

GMoose

GOLD Site Supporter
I do not have a farm, only 5 acres and a tractor or two, but do no agriculture other than a small garden. My policy is just for the average person, homeowners, a few cars and trucks, a liability policy, plus a couple extra things on there. I do not know where you are located, but it might be worth contacting Farm Bureau in Pocatello Idaho, agent is Erica Catt.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I imported mine as an agricultural tractor. I put a SMV triangle on the back. I have a diesel utility tractor and a couple acres of land that are farmed by a real farmer (not me). Got a small policy to cover it. I no longer own it (huge mistake) so I can’t give you current info.

tenmile

Thanks all. No love from Safeco, Progressive, Hagerty or State Farm, plus a few others. Most seem to not know quite how to write the policy unfortunately especially since it's not titled/plated, and still used for OHV use, but just too large of a motor to fall into Snowmobile category. I'll keep trying and if I find any success, I'll let folks know!

Bobcatbob

GOLD Site Supporter
mmmmm, sadly I find most people do not have insurance, though, if not registered as a snowmobile, your homeowners policy does cover the liability. and some have gotten insurance as a snowmobile and that works, really the key is staying with the quest and have an independent agent that is willing to do the work, you can find a good policy that you can afford.

my cats are covered under a garage keepers policy
100%. Key is finding an independent rep that can seek out a policy. The captive agents (State Farm, Allstate, etc) are typically a no go on anything unconventional, they can only sell what their company provides.

tenmile

I should add, my insurance agent is a full independent, and is the one who's been trying to help me out. Their primary companies have all said no, so now they've gone down the commercial policy path and to their secondary lines but it seems nobody knows quite how to classify it. State Farm is the only company my agent doesn't cover, but since I used to have a policy w/SF I called my former agent directly. They did some research and couldn't figure out a way to classify the coverage unfortunately. Gah. Frustrating, I didn't think would be so hard!

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
you will need to educate them, photos and companies/organization that use snow cats, like snow mobile club that groom trails, another way to think about a snow cat as a snow tractor, just is not that hard, sorry your folks don't seem to get it done

mikemikelle

I insure my Imp (as a 1974 Thiokol, not sure if it is ORV or what?) thru my Allstate agent. I tried to value it at $20,000 stated, but it is an "Indemnified" policy, which my agent tells me is what the current market value is for one in like condition (so approximately the same). I also have $5000 in upgrades. For full coverage it is $70 a year!!! Mind you I have all of my other coverages, both personal and business, thru the same guy.

We just chatted about this yesterday, and he told me to send others his way, though I'm not sure if you need to be WA state or not.
Kyle Jensen Agency Allstate Kenmore, WA

tenmile

I insure my Imp (as a 1974 Thiokol, not sure if it is ORV or what?) thru my Allstate agent. I tried to value it at $20,000 stated, but it is an "Indemnified" policy, which my agent tells me is what the current market value is for one in like condition (so approximately the same). I also have $5000 in upgrades. For full coverage it is $70 a year!!! Mind you I have all of my other coverages, both personal and business, thru the same guy.

We just chatted about this yesterday, and he told me to send others his way, though I'm not sure if you need to be WA state or not.
Thank you! Another lead for me to track down :) Do you know if the policy is written as it being a snow mobile, or tractor, or what?
you will need to educate them, photos and companies/organization that use snow cats, like snow mobile club that groom trails, another way to think about a snow cat as a snow tractor, just is not that hard, sorry your folks don't seem to get it done
I think the big challenge I'm coming across is there's not a lot of snowcats in CO, so the agents here are a bit confused. Very few clubs or organizations have them, and even though the ski resorts do, that's obviously not being written as individual policies. I've tried to have it written as: ATV, Snowmobile, Tractor (some policies had agriculture land requirements), pickup (not titled or plated in CO, so no go...). I do have an avenue that I could open a commercial business policy and write this as a piece of equipment for that, but it's cost prohibitive ($$$$/yr) and for occasional use, that doesn't make a lot of sense. Still have some more routes to go down but I appreciate all the leads. Also hoping someone at the CO Snowcat Jamboree can give me some good insider knowledge :)

tenmile

Mike's agent was most helpful in sharing how and what they did to get him coverage! However since I'm out of state, they couldn't issue the policy but now I know what to ask for. I'll update if there's positive progress!

Nort Woods

GOLD Site Supporter
Maybe it would be beneficial for both parties if insurance agencies were invited to the jamborees to see how the cats are used and have the ability to recruit new potential clients. I have State Farm for my home, boat, autos, umbrella and SxS. LOL, they have my SxS written as a “dune buggy” as they don’t recognize UTV! I’m just too lazy and go and insure it through Progressive.🤔

sheep_mtn

GOLD Site Supporter
I have our LMC 1500 insured through State Farm for both collision and liability for around $250/year.

sheep_mtn

GOLD Site Supporter
State Farm has it classified as a snowmobile. I'm guessing their system tops out at 1875cc, because the actual cc's would be 4228 for the AMC engine. The State of Colorado is the same when registering as a snowmobile - it doesn't list the full engine size, likely due to software limitations.

1642606784780.png

Reactions: PJL

Nort Woods

GOLD Site Supporter
State Farm has it classified as a snowmobile. I'm guessing their system tops out at 1875cc, because the actual cc's would be 4228 for the AMC engine. The State of Colorado is the same when registering as a snowmobile - it doesn't list the full engine size, likely due to software limitations.

View attachment 143627
Thanks again sheep mtn.
I just received a quote from State Farm for $216.00.

tenmile

That's super interesting, when I called my State Farm agent they said they couldn't do it as Tucker wasn't listed as a snowmobile company for that year. I'll have to try again. Do you guys have stated value on your policies?

Nort Woods

GOLD Site Supporter
That's super interesting, when I called my State Farm agent they said they couldn't do it as Tucker wasn't listed as a snowmobile company for that year. I'll have to try again. Do you guys have stated value on your policies?
Tenmile, the premium quote from my agent says “Base MSRP 35000”. I don’t know where he got that number, I didn’t give it to him.

vintagebike

Our Idaho State Farm agent was also unable to write policies for our SnowCats as SnowCats. He also said that if he snuck one in the company would likely refuse payment if a claim were to be made.