• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Indiana: Do Drugs and lose your Unemployment Benefits

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
This is something that should have been put into place a long time ago.

Legislation designed to keep unemployment checks out of the hands of those testing positive for illegal substances passed a key Senate committee SE Indiana Capitol Report
this legislation would require Indiana’s Department of Workforce Development (DWD) to suspend unemployment benefits for an individual who fails to take or pass drug tests for a prospective employer.

In cases where prospective employers find job applicants that test positive for illegal substances or refuse to take drug tests, businesses would be required to inform the DWD. The applicants’ benefits would be suspended, but these individuals would have the right to an appeal.

“I’m happy to sponsor House Bill 1267 in an effort to keep unemployment benefit dollars in the hands of those who live a drug-free life and are trying their best to find honest work,” Leising said. “I was pleased to sponsor this bill, which is very similar to legislation I authored in the first half of session, because residents from my district have voiced concerns to me about this very issue.”

Leising said in conversations with a chamber of commerce in her district, she learned many local employers say job applicants are unqualified to work because they fail required drug tests. She added that area firefighters and rescue crews also told her too many residents saved from overdoses are unemployed and collecting benefits from the state.​

This seems like a common sense bill to discourage drug abuse. I simply don't understand why people who can afford drugs needs to get unemployment compensation. Further, since so many jobs require people to be drug free, it seems like anyone who takes drugs is basically unqualified for work so they should not get unemployment compensation because their personal choices effectively eliminate them from the job market.

Now I'm not saying that drugs should be illegal. I'm simply saying that if you are on the public dole then I don't want to pay for your habit :hammer:

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Bob, if you take away their unemployment benefits how in the heck are they going to get their drugs?! That would be no way to get them to vote Democrat!

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
It should be done for all that receive welfare and UEI, I'm reluctant to go as far as foodstamps.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
It should be done for all that receive welfare and UEI, I'm reluctant to go as far as foodstamps.

Yeah, after taking a beating on taxes and a brutal beating with medical expenses I don't want to lose my buddies who sell me food stamps for fifty cents on the dollar so they can get booze and smokes...:whistling:

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm not, if you can afford drugs, and for that matter cigarettes, there is no reason that I should be feeding you.

Pisses me off when I stand in a grocery line while the cashier and the customer separate their order into two stacks, one for food stamps, one for cash.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
How many have failed the drug tests since the law has passed? What is the savings to the state?

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I not reluctant on the food stamps. If I were in charge and could, I would make all on the government teat to test clean or no hand out.