• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Imp 1404 new toy questions

Mike imp 1404

Just picked up a imp 1404 with 750hrs on it with the Ford v4. First time snow cat owner who wasn’t in the market for one just a hobby collector and when I saw it I knew I had to make an offer. Paid 8k curious on any thoughts of value and what year it is as it isn’t listed on the machine or bill of sale. Looking to make it reliable for snow camping with the fam. Also if anyone would be willing to let me pick there brain who knows something about this machine it would be appreciated. I have it running great at this point with all the basic engine maintenance but before I take it off the trailer was hoping to get some advice on operation and pre trip checks. Previous owner only used it a couple of times over the past 5 years and really didn’t know to much about it other than it worked last time he drove it and the guy he bought it from restored it.
thanks
541-699-8491

Attachments

• 70FB5292-8CB8-4B5B-9657-1358055D5503.jpeg
    70FB5292-8CB8-4B5B-9657-1358055D5503.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 244
  • 562FC128-2AEA-4EA7-9596-165A5039C5F4.jpeg
    562FC128-2AEA-4EA7-9596-165A5039C5F4.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 155
  • 847C1DAF-B7EC-43FE-A927-59B96BFF77E5.jpeg
    847C1DAF-B7EC-43FE-A927-59B96BFF77E5.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 157
  • 3A5BB3F7-C789-4D7E-A7EE-3E708DE1B492.jpeg
    3A5BB3F7-C789-4D7E-A7EE-3E708DE1B492.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 144
  • ABA2898F-71FB-440A-BD06-9211F0AE53C5.jpeg
    ABA2898F-71FB-440A-BD06-9211F0AE53C5.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 163

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
I would agree that from what's posted, it looks like a great value. The trailer alone is worth several thousand bucks.

I have a DMC 1450, and the data plate is on the right side of the engine enclosure, forward of the removable parts. I can't tell from the photos if the tires are pneumatic or if they have been foam filled. The 1450 uses a front idler wheel that is cast aluminum with a solid urethane "tire" bonded to it. Your machine looks like it has a rubber tire in that position, and at a minimum I'd want that one filled and not pneumatic. The reason is if the tire were to go flat, the probability of the track coming off is high. Then you'd have to address the tire issue and get the tracks back on. By yourself, deep in the back country, that would be less-than-fun, to put it mildly.

I would suggest you reach out to Dan Gates at Snowcat Service in SLC. I've never met him, but from what I understand, he's a good guy, knows a lot about Thiokol/DMC/LMC machines, and has a selection of parts available.

turbinator62

Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
Congratulations on your new toy!
I have a fully restored and upgraded 1402 Imp. It shares the same drive train as the 1404 but with a smaller engine. This thread will describe the rebuild process on mine and what to look for. https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/the-continuing-saga-of-niksons-1402-imp-sn-129.63147/ This thread is by the previous owner and what he did. https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/thiokol-imp-1402-opentop-129-by-nikson.58427/
A lot of guys have used solid wheels for the front idler. If you do that you need an alternative method of setting track tension. The idler mount has 3 bolt settings but tension is maintained by tire pressure on the original. It makes it easy to get the track on and off, but a flat can be bad.
Your cat has wide tracks. I can't tell if the rear sprocket is the large diameter wheel type. If so, it doesn't have a lot of tooth height and will tend to jump if the tension is too low or you are steering while going down hill. I use a high quality multi ply idler tire rated at 80 psi with a tube. It has been in service for 8 years with no issues. I run it at about 70 psi. My cat has standard 24" wide track with 55 grousers per side.
I would take a good look at the brakes. The master cylinders tend to rust with age. New ones are available as are rebuild kits. They are the same as a mid 60's Ford Econoline van. You can get them on eBay. You have to modify them to make the steering levers fit.
The brake cylinders are from a mid 60's International truck (I think) clutch and are impossible to get. Mine were badly rusted, so I bored them out and sleeved them with seamless tubing. New cups are available. There are other brake cylinders that could probably be adapted to the mount. Make sure they are the same inside diameter.
I would also replace the flex hoses to the brake cylinders. Mine were original and one of them broke (while in the shop fortunately). With a planetary differential, the loss of one brake will only allow you to turn one way. You cannot stop. All you can do is turn off the engine.
You can get a copy of the service manual here: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAAegQIBhAC&usg=AOvVaw1rKp9XCTqnW9XAy2MiIdIC
Good luck. If you have questions feel free to PM me.