• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

If I get dementia

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

Copied from a friend on FB:​

● If I get dementia, I want my friends and family to embrace my reality. If I think my spouse is still alive, or if I think we’re visiting my parents for dinner, let me believe those things. I’ll be much happier for it.
● If I get dementia, don’t argue with me about what is true for me versus what is true for you.
● If I get dementia, and I am not sure who you are, do not take it personally. My timeline is confusing to me.
● If I get dementia, and can no longer use utensils, do not start feeding me. Instead, switch me to a finger-food diet, and see if I can still feed myself.
● If I get dementia, and I am sad or anxious, hold my hand and listen. Do not tell me that my feelings are unfounded.
● If I get dementia, I don’t want to be treated like a child. Talk to me like the adult that I am.
● If I get dementia, I still want to enjoy the things that I’ve always enjoyed. Help me find a way to exercise, read, and visit with friends.
● If I get dementia, ask me to tell you a story from my past.
● If I get dementia, and I become agitated, take the time to figure out what is bothering me.
● If I get dementia, treat me the way that you would want to be treated.
● If I get dementia, make sure that there are plenty of snacks for me in the house. Even know if I don’t eat I get angry, and if I have dementia, I may have trouble explaining what I need.
● If I get dementia, don’t talk about me as if I’m not in the room.
● If I get dementia, don’t feel guilty if you cannot care for me 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. It’s not your fault, and you’ve done your best. Find someone who can help you, or choose a great new place for me to live.
● If I get dementia, and I live in a dementia care community, please visit me often.
● If I get dementia, don’t act frustrated if I mix up names, events, or places. Take a deep breath. It’s not my fault.
● If I get dementia, make sure I always have my favorite music playing within earshot.
● If I get dementia, and I like to pick up items and carry them around, help me return those items to their original place.
● If I get dementia, don’t exclude me from parties and family gatherings.
● If I get dementia, know that I still like receiving hugs or handshakes.
● If I get dementia, remember that I am still the person you know and love.”
ᴄᴏᴘʏ ᴀɴᴅ ᴘᴀsᴛᴇ in Honor of someone you know or knew who has dementia. In Honor of all those I know and love and lost who are fighting Dementia/Alzheimer’s.
Thank you

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
My mother-in-law is in the throes of this.
Thank you so much, printing it off as we reply. (y)

Reactions: Doc

Roosterfish

Having gone through this with my mom last couple of years....
excellent advice from my experience.
I also think that dimensia has many different "faces" or individual effects or degree. This was my experience observing some of the other residents in my Mom's facility.
Totally an observation on my part without any medical training, but witnessing some of the other folks, I felt like mom had good dimensia if there is such a thing.
Every weekend part of our drive around was to stop at Wendy's and I'd get her a chocolate frosty. Every time it was seemingly her first and the best that she'd ever had.

power1

If I ever get dementia I will not care a lot about how people treat me. I will not remember it anyway. They should treat me like they always have.