• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

I need info on greasing the front idlers on a DMC 1450

Trackrig

I just took delivery of a DMC 1450. While greasing it, we couldn't find any grease zerks on the front idlers??? I hope they aren't like a car wheel whereas I'd have to take the track apart and pull the wheel hub off to grease it. There is a cap on the hub but I didn't have time yet to see if it screws on or is a friction fit. It it screws on, I'll take it off and install a zerk in it. If it's a friction fit, I'll have to study it a little more, maybe tap in some bolts from the side to keep the cap on. However, if someone knows there's supposed to be zirk there, and how to find it, it will save me some trouble. Thanks.

oldmanscj7

My front idler has a zerk fitting. If you zoom in on the picture you can see it pointing towards the rear. I'm sure you looked but did you check the inward facing side? The cap should be a standard friction cap.
IMG_4049.jpg

BearGap

GOLD Site Supporter
Mine looks similar. I had mine all apart recently and had to replace the zircs. I think mine are original. I’ve heard of idelers and wheels with none. It’s hard to know if those are original. Maybe on the inside?

Attachments

• 31692600-6227-4E37-8666-5E2C9B40B722.jpeg
    31692600-6227-4E37-8666-5E2C9B40B722.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 88

Trackrig

Maybe mine were there, but broke off only leaving the threaded part in the hub, will have to look some more.

When you grease the front ones, mine have friction fit caps, any problems with them popping off from the pressure of the grease?

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
Best thing that's happened to wheel brgs are the EZ Lube axles. Especially boat tlrs, no air space, no water comes in.

BearGap

GOLD Site Supporter
Here’s a picture of the idler axles from when I had 1415 apart. The bearings look like they’re out of a Ford Falcon.
2 Timken bearings, races and seal was about $75 per side. Even using the zirc, I think it’s iffy to grease to the inner bearing without taking them apart. I did my undercarriage and assembled the tracks alone and I don’t look forward to that again....what a job.

Attachments

• 5DF8115D-E1FB-446C-B08B-14BC5B8F0A8F.jpeg
    5DF8115D-E1FB-446C-B08B-14BC5B8F0A8F.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 91