• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

HRV/ERV ducting. Supply air to rooms, or return air from rooms?

joea

Ready to lay out ducting for an HRV. Much of the discussion I have read seems to assume one should supply air to individual rooms, such as Bedrooms, and have one or more "centralized" returns.

However, in the age of COVID and with concerns about other airborne health concerns, might it be better to supply air to one or more central locations and evacuate (return) air from some areas? Seems that would tend to reduce chances of spreading pathogens from a sick persons room, and tend to reduce spreading odors and humidity from bathrooms and laundry areas.

Opinons?

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I agree. That makes sense to me.
Seems doing that might take away from the even temperatures throughout the home.
But that would be a great questions for a professional.

https://hvacdirect.com/ventilation-...ents-us.html?cls=&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=

Benefits of Heat Recovery Ventilator

· Reduces humidity & remove condensation.

· Exhaust stale humid polluted air.

· Transfers available waste exhaust heat, to incoming fresh air.

· Help create a more even temperature throughout the home.

· Save up to 5 times more on energy with ERV then the costs to use.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
This is essentially a "vacuum" concept which would create a negative air pressure in each room. Warm or cold air froma central distributor would then replace the removed air. One would think you would need a very "tight" house for this to work.

And there would be huge variances with doors being open or closed.

On the plus side there would be less dust, and un-used rooms with a closed door would automatically save energy.