• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

how gross is fast food?

McDonald's Worker Spits in Tea: How Gross is Fast Food?
By Sarah B. Weir, Yahoo! blogger | Healthy Living - 16 hours ago

Police in South Carolina say that a McDonald's worker spit in two customers'
cups of iced tea after they returned them because they weren't sweet enough.
A video shows the employee, 19-year-old Marvin Washington Jr., leaning over
the open cups before giving them back. The fast food chain patrons claim
they discovered phlegm in the drinks when they removed their tops. He was
arrested Wednesday and charged with malicious tampering with food.

Eating out can be an exercise in suspended disbelief. Wide eyed, we assume
the food is fresh and wholesome and that workers have followed the
"employees must wash hands" decree posted in the bathroom. Nevertheless, the
McDonald's incident is so sickening because it actually bears out the urban
legend that a disdainful waiter can and will contaminate your food if you
tick him off.

Kitchen Confidential

Chef and television personality Anthony Bourdain's bestseller, Kitchen
Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly, exposed the grungy side
of the culinary world over a decade ago. Not only is the book a rollicking
memoir about coming of age in the 1970s and 80s, it's a veritable primer for
how not to get food poisoning on date night. Bourdain rudely threw open the
kitchen doors and exposed restaurants' dirty little tricks such as filtering
cigarette ash out of used butter to make a sauce and serving old beef to the
customers who ordered it well done.

Chicken scandals

There are many more recent examples of restaurants serving contaminated food
and having unsanitary kitchens, especially by fast food joints. Most
recently, a lawsuit by the former manager of a Kentucky Friend Chicken
franchise in Oregon alleges the owner fired other employees for refusing to
serve chicken that had turned green and passed its expiration date.
According to the lawsuit, he resigned because he "couldn't stand serving
rotten chicken to families anymore."

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I do think the majority of fast food is not being contaminated by employees. But I do remember back in high school some guys had a job at a KFC would tell stories of what they were doing to the cole slaw. It was gross for sure. To this day I still think of that if we end up getting KFC. :(

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
it's disgusting, though the reality is, stuff both equally disgusting & of a stomach-turning, sickening level goes on in restaurants of all sorts, not just fast food places.
i agree, tho, that that is gross.

I do think the majority of fast food is not being contaminated by employees. But I do remember back in high school some guys had a job at a KFC would tell stories of what they were doing to the cole slaw. It was gross for sure. To this day I still think of that if we end up getting KFC. :(

i dread to think what they did to it

but i don't eat salad... so guess i'm safe.

:d

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
The worst kids would do when we were teens was load a sandwich with tons of pickles or squirt ketchup till the bun would float around. Not the nasty stuff you see happening today.

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
The worst kids would do when we were teens was load a sandwich with tons of pickles or squirt ketchup till the bun would float around. Not the nasty stuff you see happening today.
Yup I agree, times certainlly have changed. :wink:

Heres a few fast food facts some might not be aware of related to Kansas. My first memory of fast food were hamburgers from White Castle, pizza from Pizza Hut & tacos from Taco Bell, all which originated in Wichita.

My Dad was approached by the Carney brothers for a loan to start their little buisiness they called "The Pizza Hut" when they were first starting out and decided it was to big of a risk. :pat: He kicked himself in the butt for that decision until the day he passed on, but we all always laughed about it. :yum:

history-of-pizza-hut.jpg
The first Pizza Hut is located in Kansas at the Wichita State University Campus. It was opened in 1958 by Frank and Dan Carney, 2 brothers who studied at the university.

Fred Harvey was the first to initiate a large-scale restaurant chain. He opened a successful lunchroom in Topeka's Santa Fe depot in 1876. Soon Harvey Houses and railroad dining services spread throughout the West. They were famous for quality ingredients, reasonable prices, immaculate dining rooms, and excellent waitresses.
White Castle, the first hamburger chain, opened in Wichita in 1921. It was the first to have a single building style and standard operations for all its restaurants. Even the appearance of employees was regulated from head to toe.
Another Kansas industry that had a significant impact on the restaurant business was Valentine Manufacturing Company of Wichita, which manufactured prefabricated diner buildings and distributed them nationwide from the 1930s through the 1970s.
Today, hundreds of fast food chains compete for customers throughout the United States and beyond. Besides White Castle, other fast food operations that got their start in Kansas include Pizza Hut (the largest pizza restaurant chain in the world), Big Cheese Pizza, Taco Tico, and Taco Grande.

Ironman

how gross is fast food?

Hmm. Well... not to gross. Big macs are pretty damn good. So are double quarter pounders. McDonalds fries are pretty damn good too. I also like burger kings double whopper. with cheese please! When I'm on a 90 pound jack hammer all morning working next to a McDonalds, smelling that good shit all day, you can bet I'm gonna go kill a few big macs at lunch. :biggrin: A little spit never hurt nobody anyway. I eat at these little hole-in-the-wall Mexican places and I'm pretty sure they throw my tortilla on the floor a few times before they give it to me - I can't understand wtf they are saying to each other back there... Still tastes good to me. :mrgreen:

Bamby

You can say what you want.. but from limited personal exposure more of the customers exposure to risk, is created by management efforts to cut "food costs" and managements failure to train employees properly on good "safe food handling practices". Your chance of exposure to spoiled food is actually much, much higher because managements efforts to pass off waste to the customer than the small chance that an employee intentionally and purposely did something to your meal..