• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

How bad are you beat up?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I see all these great things about health and fitness but then read about Dargo glueing his finger (although I know he's been through worse :rolleyes: ).

How badly has your body been abused over the years?
Share any good stories if you want.

I'll start.
Over the years, I've broken:
9 ribs (one incident did 5)
clavicle
ankle (shattered it)
wrist (in 2 places)
leg
arm (radius & ulna with the radius breaking the long way requiring pins)
4 or 5 fingers
4 or 5 toes
nose (in a total of 15 places)

Torn ACL in knee
Approx. 175-200 stitches

In one ATV incident, I broke 10 of the aforementioned. Oops. :eek:

I've have my fair share of hospital time. :pat:

Some are starting to catch up with me...

beds

Senior year of high school my buddy's and I went camping on the classic "May 24 long weekend" (pronounced May two four). Went to this place that had a cliff with a river running through the middle - really beautiful. Got a site right on the edge. Made a pact to only urinate off the edge because the site was small and we didn't want to sit in it. Well, many drinks that evening and my buddies find me at the bottom of this 11 meter cliff face - 1/2 in the water. I think that last trip to the edge I may have taken an extra step! That was quite a list of injuries:
Compound fracture of L2 vertabrae
Hairline of L3
2 broken ribs
punctured lung
8 stitches in my tongue from biting it
3 stitches in my a$$ cheek from a tree limb
broken ankle with lots of hardware (had to re-break it because I was too unstable for them to set it). That broken ankle is the only injury from that list that bugs me.

Other bones include 3 left wrists, one right, right forearm, right leg twice and collarbone (4 of these before I was 10!)

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I've never broken a bone!

When I was 16 I started by ripping my ACL out of the bone (avulsion). From there it was a downward spiral on the old knees. After the third knee surgery I gave up. My cartlidges are shot there's no need to clean them up. I think the scar tissue is all that's there to cushion the bones. I'm the poster child for ACL laxity. I'm often trying to pop little flaps of cartlidge back into place.

Had both my wrists done for Carpal Tunnel and a strange non-cancerous growth taken out of the back of one wrist. I got them to do all these under local so I could watch. I like surgery.

Split my thumb down middle once with a box cutter.

I've got lots of scars that I've forgotten where they come from. I once had a lovely double blackeye from getting KO'ed during a drunken brawl. I lost my memory of most of the fight but apparently I was sucker punched. It took forever to heal.

Most of my original injuries were sports related and now they're coming back to haunt me as I get older.

One of my best friends in Canada just had a distincly Canadian injury - he cut off four of his finger tips while changing the blades on a Zamboni!

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
No bones done yet, note the yet :eek:

Smashed my finger with a blunt axe, that did it pretty good, hard to notice now.
My two front teeth are fake, somebody jumped on me when I wasnt expecting it, 'hello floor' :(
Sliced my arm open a couple times with a saw trimming small trees, trying to hold on to the bit im cutting off to move it away from the damagable things below.
Countless scars on my knuckles, fingers and hands, mostly curtesy of spanners slipping off the bolt.
Currently got a gouge out the back of my hand, spanner slipped off an oil drain plug and my hand met a bolt head at high speed. Later I forgot about the wound a dunked my hand in the wash off tank, needless to say I remembered it pretty quick :eek:
Last week I redid my back, thats gotta be one of the more painful ones :mad:

Beds, we were on a similar campsite last year, only repace the cliff with a steep bank into a muddy river. I think you were much worse off :eek:

beds

Mith, I am certain that the rolling hills in the UK where you were camping were more beautiful than that rocky bitof Canadian shield that I fell off! And I hear you on throwing out your back - that can be the most painful thing. Keep the percodans coming (or oxycontin or what have you).

I've revisited this site in the past years and now it's got 6' fencing and warning signs and all kinds of deterrents. Sad, really, that they have to take away from the natural beauty of the place because of some stupid idiots.
:slap:

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
yep, it was the Isle of Wight, nice place
That back, kinda dull pain, gets on your nerves then on occasion the sudden searing pain just to wake you up. Makes putting socks on a right bugger ;)

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
beds said:
Well, many drinks that evening and my buddies find me at the bottom of this 11 meter cliff face - 1/2 in the water. I think that last trip to the edge I may have taken an extra step!

beds said:
Sad, really, that they have to take away from the natural beauty of the place because of some stupid idiots.

:whistle: :pat: :1062: :confused: :D :yum: :yum: :yum:

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Let me start with both feet, multiple toes broken a few times, first was when a castiron hemihead fell on my foot. Now to my right knee, yup got shot in that one. Next, my right arm, got stabbed there. Right hand and wrist, went thru a glass window and knicked an artery, along with stitches to the top of my hand and wrist. Left thumb, sliced it to the bone making stresscone splices on a 40' powerpole. My back, got whacked with rocksalt, yep it hurts. Both arms, various and sundry burns from hot pipes, welding, hot water drips, and even acid burns. Both shoulders and both elbows have tendonitis. Scar on my chin do to a brawl, got whacked with something, eight stitches and a broken jaw. Cracked the back of head on concrete steps chasing my brother with "dog shit on a stick". Fell off a bridge anchorage and scrapped the dog snot out both shins Plus the various hand scars due to slipping wrenches and such.
I think I'm not doing too bad for my age!:pat::tiphat::beer:

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Maybe late this year when I have my annual (or so) drink I'll go into a few of the interesting ones. Otherwise I'll start to hurt thinking about some. I have nothing too amazing or particularly incredible. Not even any near death ordeals. Other than a broken neck, just the run of the mill broken bones and plenty of stitches for the most part. To what I doubt is anybody's surprise, let's just say that for one, I had to learn several things the hard way, and for another, I used to have an even worse problem of not knowing when to shut up. :thumb:

AFFitness13

Not that much for me . . .

Bursitis in my left knee (well that is what my idiot military Dr. says)

Cracked Vertebrae from a roll over accident in 2000

But I am still young and have many years to do all of that kind of stuff to my body

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
AFFitness13 said:
Not that much for me . . .

Bursitis in my left knee (well that is what my idiot military Dr. says)

Cracked Vertebrae from a roll over accident in 2000

But I am still young and have many years to do all of that kind of stuff to my body
Great! I finally have it writing that all Your ailments aren't Hereditary ! :)
So, quit blaming me for all Your aches,and pains :)

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
AFFitness13 said:
Well it is your fault that i have pains in my joints

:moon:
Your MUM is right, You are a Whining Cow ! :) If You think Your joints hurt now, wait 20 Years :)

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
you two cut it out!

Me, NO disks in L34,L45, L5S1...................

Charcot Marie Tooth disease............nerve problem, I wear braces on my legs to keep my feet from dragging. I have no movement in them at the ankle, up and down movement that is.

Brusitis in the left elbow..................

besides bald and older that is about it.

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
ddrane2115 said:
you two cut it out!
Never ! How often is it an old man can give his kid some grief ?:)
But, Danny , I'm with You on my minor complaints . I hope that in some way You get some relief . My complaints pale in the light of Yours . John

BoneheadNW

OK, I'll start from my bone head and work my way down. Rode my bike into a tree when I was 6 and knocked my self unconscious. Suffered a concussion and for years had occasional "anxiety attacks" (that is what the doctors called them since they could not understand what was going on.) When I was in my 30's, I suffered a grand-mal seizure that was finally diagnosed to be linked to the bone head vs tree accident (those "anxiety attacks" were really petit-mal seizures).
Had 28 stitches to the forehead from surfing accident.
Broken arm x 2 (when the arm was in the cast I got into a car accident requiring a new cast).
Multiple trauma (arm, back, leg, face) from car accident on the way to a bar (sober)
Broken fingers, more stitches to arms, feet.
Two herniated discs (I wish I could say it was from rescuing people from burning buildings but it was from moving downed trees across my yard. :pat: )
The latter injury is the worst because I am in constant fear of re-injury. I never want to go through that pain again!
Bonehead

REDDOGTWO

Unemployed Veg. Peddler
SUPER Site Supporter
Baseball bat in the face. Cracked wrist. Cracked foot. Broken big toe.
Melted lead on top of foot.
Problems with ulnar nerve in left elbow, resulting in numbness in the small and half of the next finger.
Numerous cuts on left hand obtained while cutting meat while working in a grocery store.:poster_oo
Possible cracked ribs after tripping on a snowmobile trailer and falling across the hitch. Did not go to the doctor as what could they do, quite painful for a couple of months.
Lots of cuts, bruises and burns while finishing off the shed and working on the farm.
Constant ringing in the ears.

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Nixon,

Other than being stiff in the morning (no thinking outside the box here), I am fine. My pain in the back has not been there for years. The CMT has no pain, just those dag gummed braces. I work out some, trying to do more to lose about 70 pounds, and play some golf, get to drive the bota around and do want manual labor it cant do.

I give my kid grief all the time, but I am so glad she is back home and not living with her former bf. I have PM with AA a couple of times, she seems to be someone to be very proud of.

Michael

Blocked tube running from my sinus to the left ear, means I get to have a tube inserted in my left eardrum every 5-6 months (just like some kids get)

I had a forklift transmission fall on my right hand over 20 years ago, broke the bones in my right hand in 20 odd spots including having a Harrington rod in my right thumb (what the problem is it is called a slab break, similar to the way concrete looks when you bust it up)

No other problems but the usual stuff with minor stuff

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
ddrane2115 said:
Other than being stiff in the morning (no thinking outside the box here),

Way to take all the fun out of your posting! :mad: There are so many great and witty replies to that one line.

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
PBinWA said:
Way to take all the fun out of your posting! :mad: There are so many great and witty replies to that one line.

I know you guys and gals. Go ahead, beat me up some more. I can laugh at myself with the rest of you!

REDDOGTWO

Unemployed Veg. Peddler
SUPER Site Supporter
Could you possibly go into detail about the two injuries above? :weneedpic :pat:

In the eighth grade, some was swinging a bat and not looking where they were at, guess my face got in the way. :batterUp: Lots of blood, sorry no pictures. Long time before digital cameras.

In high school did a short stint working at the county newspaper while working two other jobs. One of the jobs that I did was to make molds for the paper, this involved taking embossed plastic forms, usually cartoons or national ads, putting them in a frame, clamping everything down, putting in upright and then to pour molten lead into the frame. Somehow I completly overfilled it one time and the hot lead goes over the top and my foot was underneath and I now know that even if lead melts somewhat of a low temperature, when it is poured on a foot it is quite warm. After that the top level was watched very carefully so that it was not over filled again.:smileywac

Just wish that I am some pictures, the whole process of printing a small time newspaper in the sixties was quite interesting. I am sure that the process had not changed that much in quite a few years. The process now is quite different.