Help me Nixon, I need a chainsaw!

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
Squerly, if you plan on burning hemlock you better get used to splitting it down into small chunks. Should be aged at least 2 years also. Find a local store you can get cardboard boxes from and burn out the creosote regularly. It makes good heat but does not last as long.
I'll burn oak in the furnace Mule. The Hemlocks are for campfire wood. The road that goes by the Southern side of my property leads up to a national campsite (about 3 miles away) and the campers drive by my road all day. I plan to put a small load of Hemlock out by the road where everyone that drives by can see it. (Advertisement :brows:) The only other guy selling wood gets $25.00 for about 20 pieces of whatever he has the most of that day. In the spring, summer and autumn I can easily sell 5-10 loads of my Hemlock for $25.00 a load (about 30 split pieces). I'll deliver it to their campsite for an additional $5.00. Should be a couple of hundred bucks a day without too much trouble. And I have to cut up the Hemlock anyway, so I might as well seel it, right? The campers don't care if it's Pine or Hemlock as long as it burns and they can roast marshmallows.

muleman

worn out farmer
GOLD Site Supporter
Crap, you are going to be another hustler like Big Al! When are you guys going to learn to slow down and enjoy life?:whistling::yum::yum:

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
Here is the website for deals on Husky.
http://www.alamia.com/

Not exactly deals there . looks close to MSRP less shipping .
Hey Squerly ,..... check out the Echo saws while you are looking . great warranty ,and they make a decent saw . But, like the Huskys , stay away from the box store models .The 80 cc looks like a true work horse .

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
Seriously Squerly , if You are going to be feeding a boiler , and cutting camp wood , get a decent saw . Either the MS 460 ,or the 390 xp . Personally I'd select the 460 as its a bit lighter . Also , get some decent PPE . Thats all Im going to offer here . You all can carry on with your 60cc mid grade saws running 36" bars and such .

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
Talked with the Jonsered dealer today and I'm leaning toward the Jonsered 2172 with 32" bar for $835.00. Has a 2 year warrantee. I guess if it's going to break it will do it within that first 2 years, at least I would hope so. I asked him if he had ever woods ported this particular saw and he looked at me like I was nuts. First (he says) it will void the warrantee and second, (he continues) it doesn't need it. Told him I would discuss it with Nixon and get back with him...

As I was leaving the store he was scratching his head and I heard him say... who the fuck is Nixon?

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
As I was leaving the store he was scratching his head and I heard him say... who the fuck is Nixon?
The person that You will never get a straight answer out of again .So, fuck off. Howzat ?
BTW , you went wussy , go 2188 . Its as big as they sell . Get some PPE , you are going to need it .

Last edited:

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
BTW , you went wussy , go 2188 . Its as big as they sell . Get some PPE , you are going to need it .
Yeah, that's a big saw but I was hoping for something I could lug out to the jobsite without hireing 2 men and a tow truck. As for PPE, I've got ear defenders... that way I won't hear that limb falling off one of those old, dead Hemlocks.

But all joking aside, what do you guy's think of this saw? And is there one that performs just as well but perhaps is less expensive? I'm not trying to be cheap, just don't want any "after the sale" regrets.

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
Read the whole thread Brian . It seemed like a "send Up " to me . But, I tried to give an honest opinion despite that .
Jim, If You want to apologize , do it in public , just like your posts !:whistling:

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
You've obviously read something into this thread that wasn't intended. You've always been one of my favorite members on this board and I've respected your knowledge and advise. If I've offended you it was unintentional and I'm sorry for the missunderstanding.

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
You are absolutely correct . I took Your initial post as a send up . Guru ??? hell, I just like saws as a hobby . I saw your post as condescending . That's my fault .
Seriously Jim , if You're going to be falling a lot of wood ,get a decent >70 cc saw . And ,by PPE , I meant chaps ,and Helmet . You'll be cutting standing dead ,and the widow makers come from dead limbs . Apologies for being such a Tool !

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
You are absolutely correct . I took Your initial post as a send up . Guru ??? hell, I just like saws as a hobby . I saw your post as condescending . That's my fault .
Nothing condescending meant Nixon. When it comes to saws, you're equally respected on this board and Tractor.net as well. I seriously wanted your opinion as I feel it's time to invest in a seriously good saw and quit fooling around with toys.

Thanks for the advise on the PPE, I guess it's time to start thinking about that. In my earlier years I was much quicker and didn't think it necessary. But now that I'm getting older, I don't always see things that are "about to happen" as quickly as I used to.

:flowers:

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
Nothing condescending meant Nixon. When it comes to saws, you're equally respected on this board and Tractor.net as well. I seriously wanted your opinion as I feel it's time to invest in a seriously good saw and quit fooling around with toys.

Thanks for the advise on the PPE, I guess it's time to start thinking about that. In my earlier years I was much quicker and didn't think it necessary. But now that I'm getting older, I don't always see things that are "about to happen" as quickly as I used to.

:flowers:

Here's some food for thought . Budget a set of chaps before You select Your saw . Also , get good chaps , not "make do's " .
Labonville ,and Sweedepro come to mind . saws are cheap ,blood isn't .

muleman

worn out farmer
GOLD Site Supporter
Amish guy was sawing all day with his today. None of the boys were available so I ended up running the splitter and throwing the pieces in the skid loader. I will have to get the model on his next time they are over. It sure cuts like a champ on the big stuff.