• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Headlights on LMC 1500 keep blowing fuse?

josh312

I've been posting here a lot recently, so apologies for that! Really appreciate any guidance here:

The headlights on my LMC 1500 stopped working again. When I first got it a year ago the headlights stopped working, so I had a mechanic look at it and they were able to fix it. I don't recall exactly what they did, but it might have been something with the wiring or fuse.

Then fast forward to this winter. The first time I ran the machine I turned on the headlights. But then boom they stopped working again. Feels like maybe it's a problem with the fuse that keeps blowing? I haven't tried to locate the fuse box yet, but that would be my next step.

Thanks so much!

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
Couple of things to look at when you find the fuse block. Is the fuse just melted, or did it "blow" and the arc coated the inside of the fuse with the metal? THe second case indicated a true short. the first is an oveload. Next look at what ever is holding the fuse. see if the treminals are discolored. If yes, that indicates they are getting hot, and not making good contact. that by itself can cause a fuse failure without an actual overload. if you can get access to the fuse connections easily the old mechanics trick of using test leads to wire in a self resetting circuit breaker may help you trace the fault. It will allow some current for testing, but protect the wiring harness.

sheep_mtn

GOLD Site Supporter
Your fuse box is located on the top right of your instrument panel. There are two thumb screws to remove. Inside is a row of bus fuses. Most are 10 amp but there are a few 15 amp fuses and the headlights are 30. Super easy to access. The headlight fuse is in position 8.
5B86FC01-6114-4384-908B-397650B67EBC.jpeg

PJL

My 1200 started blowing fuses. The glass fuse holders were loose which created heat which blew the fuses. Post a pic of your fuse block.

vintagebike

First on the list for 2022...an easy upgrade to 4 LED headlights for our 1985 LMC1500

Attachments

• 9F0C4E50-790B-40E8-AD3E-452C4B055DD4.jpeg
    9F0C4E50-790B-40E8-AD3E-452C4B055DD4.jpeg
    607.1 KB · Views: 76

Drifli

The glare back from LED lights during storms blinds you and it’s miserable trying to see. I had to switch back to regular ole Halogen headlights. The other issue is the LED don’t get warm and snow Builds up covering your lights completely making them useless. I’ve heard some have built in heaters but I haven’t used any with.

Drifli

Then why do my LED H4 bulbs have extra cooling fins and fans to cool them?
No clue but I can get picks of mine tmrw, they were horrible. Have you used yours in bad weather yet ? A quick goggle search shows the heat doesn’t make it to the lens.

josh312

Attachments

• 8AD8DE86-8D65-453A-9D2E-45DD995BDAE8.jpeg
    8AD8DE86-8D65-453A-9D2E-45DD995BDAE8.jpeg
    152.1 KB · Views: 56

Drifli

I think what you want is something with an amber lens for snow?

Those look good. I would definitely cary the original lights with you just in case you run in bad weather and the LED’s don’t work out. Switching them out is relatively easy.

zspryte

Site Supporter
The LED H4 fins and fans, located at the bulb's base/backside, cool the main diode and electronics which will burn out if they get too hot.

PJL

Here is a shot from inside the cab. Lights are on low beam which was plenty.

Attachments

• IMG_6140.JPG
    IMG_6140.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 66