• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Had a scare the other night

jwstewar

Tuesday night when I went to bed at 11:00 I had a pain in my chest bone. For whatever reason I took a couple of aspirin for the pain and went to bed. At 1:00 the pain was so severe it woke me up. Felt like Mike Tyson had just punched me in the center of my chest. I got up and took 2 more aspirin and laid back down. I then woke Monica up and told her I thought I was having a heart attack. She said, I was too young to have a heart attack and that it was probably heart burn or something. Then I told her my left arm was numb. I then got back up and went downstairs. She came down and I told her to call the squad as the pain was sharper, arm number, and now my lips were going numb. Once the squad was there they did an EKG. I asked the paramedic (volunteer fire department) if it looked OK. She immediately said NO, but some of it looks like old damage. She gave me a nitro spray and 4 more aspirin. They then took me to the hospital. They immediately came in and said I was having a heart attack and I need to have a heart cath. I figure in a day or so, but they said that Air Evac had been notified and they would be there shortly. So by 3:00 I was in the helicopter heading toward Columbus. By 4:40 I was already through the cath process. They found 2 blockages. One was old and 99% the other was new and at 100%. 2 stints put in and little to no damage done to the heart. Recovery is going pretty good. Was originally hoping to go home today, but now they are saying maybe tomorrow. So far just a change of diet and exercise. What they are unsure about, is why this happened. They don't see any thing that should have done it at my age (41). Cholesterol is elevated, but not high not even borderline. Not diabetic and blood pressure is under control. At this point they are thinking genetics played a major factor into it. Now off work and all physical activity for a couple weeks. Bad time of year for that to happen.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Damn, that is scarey for sure. Sorry to here that Jim. Good for you having the good sense to get help right then. Good thoughts and prayers for your continued recovery. Take care buddy.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Wow Jim, glad you got help quick. Never just assume its heart burn. Been there done that, got the scar.
But no 41 is not out of the question. I had my first one at 40 and so did my brother.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Scary stuff for sure. Glad to hear you jumped on it and got medical attention. Get well soon!

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Glad you were able to get prompt medical attention and didn't put it off.

Follow the docs orders and take care of yourself.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Oh man, that must have been scary. You handled it very well. I'm glad that they got you sorted out and everything is good. Thake care of yourself and do what the doctor tells you!!!!! :flowers::flowers::flowers:

Leni

So glad that you followed your instincts. There is no such thing as being too young for a heart attack. It just gets less probable as you get younger.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Take it easy for a while till the stents grow in. I have 11 and have been through it several times. After a few months things will get back to normal for you. You will likely end up on thinners as well. Good luck, buddy.:flowers:

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Way too young for that kind of scare, but glad they got you sorted out. If you thought that was scary, just wait till you see the bill for the life flight chopper ride. Hope you have good insurance...

jwstewar

Was the helicopter ride fun? :wink:

LOL, that is what everyone asks. It was neat, but very crowded and very rough. Not sure what they would do with anyone any bigger. As it was my feet hit the windshield and had to be off to the side. I also had to keep my arms up on my chest because they wouldn't fit beside me.:glare: It would have been better had I not had a headache from the nitro, other than that wasn't too bad.

jwstewar

Wanted to post this earlier when I did the other post, but got side tracked :)

I want to thank everyone for their thoughts and prayers. Feeling much better, just getting pretty bored. I've joked before that Oh, it would be nice to sit around and have nothing to do. Well, second day into it and I'm bored outta my mind. Not to say that I still wouldn't enjoy retirement at least then I would be allowed to do something. There is a lot of day left when the only thing you have to do is 2 5 minute exercise routines.

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
used to use those anti-germ wipes to clean the room & stay occupied.
chit-chat w/ the cleaning ladies.
i would take showers. watch t.v.
read.
kept notebooks & pens nearby.
called ppl/got calls.
upmc has a great menu, so i'd order food often.
visitors frequented.

& then a team of student doctors would file in, as i fascinate 'em by being 32, a cardiac patient, yet here.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
LOL, that is what everyone asks. It was neat, but very crowded and very rough. Not sure what they would do with anyone any bigger. As it was my feet hit the windshield and had to be off to the side. I also had to keep my arms up on my chest because they wouldn't fit beside me.:glare: It would have been better had I not had a headache from the nitro, other than that wasn't too bad.
I hear you on the cramped space. They asked me 3 times how tall I was for the flight to Cleveland clinic. I offered to get off the gurney while they loaded it but they crammed me in there. Feet against the bulkhead of that little twin engine Piper and tight against the wall. The medic who went along had a tiny little seat next to the crash cart. They sure don't have any extra room.:w00t2: