• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Hacked AGAIN!

baldy347

Have been hacked again, every body on my email contact list has probably received a virus as well. My computer tech says the programs i've got on here are the best i can get,but it goes back to the shop to see what he can do. FRUSTRATING!!!

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
That happened to an old email account of mine several months ago. It's a pisser. I started getting email for about every free internet offer on the web. The really annoying thing is that I also got signed up for at least half a dozen dating sites. Try explaining that to your wife. They did me proud though. Instead of being a 65-year old grouchy bastard, it seems that I am a 46-year old stud, big time rancher from Texas with oilwells and 3 homes in different parts of the country and a private jet to get around to them all. It seems that I'm what a lot of women are looking for. I wish. :yum:

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Don't you just love Windows. May as well just leave all your cyber stuff unlocked for the next eastern european to come and take it. I had to laugh when I heard that even the Iranians use Windows. No wonder it was so easy to hack their computer systems. :yum:

Now don't get me wrong, nothing is perfect, but been running OS/X for years now with no problems whatsoever. Nada. Up to that point I had many more than one situation like yours to the point I did not dare to do on line banking for fear something terrible would happen.

I know, I know many will say Macs can get the bad things too but I have yet to see one in person.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
All they need is an email address. They have no reason to go into your pc.

Once they get the email address, they hack it.

Has nothing to do with windows.

Sell on craig's list? Reply via email to the scammers? They get your email address and go to work.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I always put this in as my first contact in my address book. A@AAAA

It sends their spambot into an endless loop.:biggrin:

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
All they need is an email address. They have no reason to go into your pc.

Once they get the email address, they hack it.

Has nothing to do with windows.

Sell on craig's list? Reply via email to the scammers? They get your email address and go to work.

Correct me if I am wrong as you obviously know more about it than I. Don't they use a keylogger program in order to get your email password? In which case we go back to the Windows discussion. 90% of computers are windows so most keyloggers are written in Windows. Macs "could" be just as susceptible but it goes back to that 10% thing otherwise known as security through obscurity.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I always put this in as my first contact in my address book. A@AAAA

It sends their spambot into an endless loop.:biggrin:
Good one Muley, that works. :thumb:

I see more spam from hotmail and yahoo type email address, Muley's trick works there too ....but if that is where your's is that is not a local computer problem. Change your password as was mentioned before. That normally fixes that issue.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Correct me if I am wrong as you obviously know more about it than I. Don't they use a keylogger program in order to get your email password? In which case we go back to the Windows discussion. 90% of computers are windows so most keyloggers are written in Windows. Macs "could" be just as susceptible but it goes back to that 10% thing otherwise known as security through obscurity.

I <think> the way it works is they send every new poster on CL an email making it sound like an interested buyer. You reply via email. And so do at least 60-90% of the CL ad posters. Then scammers go ahead and start trying a couple of passwords. Their bound to hit after a couple of million, wouldn't you think?

I got hacked on hotmail. After some CL listings. And then I got spam. Then a bunch of friends got requests for a few large to get me home for Spain after getting rolled by a gang. Of course, they called me, but they were going to wire money over (ya, tech dummy friends, but good friends nonetheless).

So, now I still post on CL, but state in all ads that the buyer needs to reply with a phone number and when it's a good time to call back. I never answer a CL ad via email. And when I call back, I set my phone at anonymous.

I could be wrong, but I would also say if they had a keylogger on my pc, they would have been able to get much more than a stupid hotmail address. None of my threat software ever picked up anything.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I <think> the way it works is they send every new poster on CL an email making it sound like an interested buyer. You reply via email. And so do at least 60-90% of the CL ad posters. Then scammers go ahead and start trying a couple of passwords. Their bound to hit after a couple of million, wouldn't you think?

I got hacked on hotmail. After some CL listings. And then I got spam. Then a bunch of friends got requests for a few large to get me home for Spain after getting rolled by a gang. Of course, they called me, but they were going to wire money over (ya, tech dummy friends, but good friends nonetheless).

So, now I still post on CL, but state in all ads that the buyer needs to reply with a phone number and when it's a good time to call back. I never answer a CL ad via email. And when I call back, I set my phone at anonymous.

I could be wrong, but I would also say if they had a keylogger on my pc, they would have been able to get much more than a stupid hotmail address. None of my threat software ever picked up anything.

Hmm, Ok. Prolly why it is advised to mix alpha/numeric along with upper and lower case in your passwords. improves the odds expotentially. Also improves the odds I will never remember the friggin' things. :yum:

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
I must be really lucky, or got really good advise from some old techies. I've been running Windows systems
since 3.1 came out and never been hacked, attacked, virus'd or otherwise screwed by the Bad Guys; not once.
And it has never taken any great amount of time, effort, or (obviously:ermm:) brainpower.