• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Guess that censorship at Facebook wasn't such a good idea

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
July 26, 2018
Guess that censorship at Facebook wasn't such a good idea
By Monica Showalter
A
https://www.americanthinker.com/blo...rship_at_facebook_wasnt_such_a_good_idea.html

Well, Facebook is taking a beating in the stock market and it's not a pretty picture. I don't even like to see things like this happening, given the kind of trouble it can bring to other areas of the market.

Here's the top story on Drudge, https://www.drudgereport.com (check out the picture) and I hope he's overdoing it:

The tech-heavy Nasdaq was set for a big down day Thursday after disappointing quarterly results from Facebook sent the social media giant hurtling toward its biggest share price decline ever and on track to lose more than $100 billion in market value.

The Invesco QQQ Trust, which tracks the Nasdaq 100 index and can give traders a good idea of how the Nasdaq stocks will trade, was down more than 2 percent at one point in after-hours trading Wednesday. At last count, the ETF was off by about 1.5 percent. Facebook lost about a fifth of its value after hours.

Nasdaq 100 futures were off by 0.8 percent.

The reasons seem kind of obvious. Earnings are down, and that means people aren't using the site the way analysts projected. Privacy concerns are what's most often discussed, along with lower overseas growth, and there is probably something to it, as the earnings figures can be studied for impact, and areas of underperformance. But I think censorship has taken a toll, too.

Seriously, do you feel as enthusiastic about Facebook as you did before all the censorship stories rolled out? The declaration of Diamond and Silk as 'dangerous to the community' by Facebook's censors at its YouTube subsidiary? Facebook founder Mark Zuckerman's mixed-reviews congressional apperance? Did you want to use Facebook after learning that the company is composed solely of leftist hipsters who have it in for the right? Those were the news items as this profit report was being accumulated.

Sure, one can argue that Facebook's users aren't Facebook's customers, given that the revenue streams flow from its advertisers and data aggregators. But without those users, enthusiastically slapping everything they know and do on their Facebook pages as they have, of what use is the diminishing data, sold to the paying customers?

Maybe Facebook would see a turnaround if it returned to its roots and scrapped the censorship at least. After all, terrorists and spray shooters are getting away with their posts while conservatives are being censored. This isn't necessarily all the work of hipster censors looking only for conservatives to silence - it's also because the job of censorship is too big a job for the company to handle. Facebook could easily make amends by hiring conservatives, for one and getting out of the censorship business altogether by claiming a status similar to the telephone company, which is never responsible for the conversations of its customers.

Hate to see this company go completely downhill. Maybe market discipline, though, will snap it into a more palatable business model for conservatives and liberals alike. Usually, that's what it takes.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Censorship, like belligerent intolerance, is never a good idea.

The left, who fret and worry about perceived censorship from conservatives, (as they would practice it themselves), should know better.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
So Facebook violates their own mission statement AND the constitution at the same time...

Yet the liberals INSIST they've done nothing wrong....

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm about done with Facebook.
The only reason I even log on anymore is to get good political cartoons and check out some friends posts.
There are useful tools on there for job searches and people selling nice stuff.
Other than that, I can take it or leave it.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
It makes little difference to me, I don't have Facebook stock or an account. Our son set one up for my wife so she can keep up with the kids, and grandkids and now, great grandkids. She checks in quite often but doesn't post much.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Wow, Zuckerberg lost 16 billion in 5 minutes.
I often wondered what would happen if he just pulled the plug on Facebook.

Probably mass hysteria from the under 30 crowd.
Some folks would be walking around like zombies forgetting how to live.
:yum:

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
It makes little difference to me, I don't have Facebook stock or an account. Our son set one up for my wife so she can keep up with the kids, and grandkids and now, great grandkids. She checks in quite often but doesn't post much.

Same here. I belong to several forums but I don't need facebook. Too many on there that believe anonymity automatically makes them an opinionated bada$$!! Yes, there's some on the forums but I just ignore them.
Mike

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Yea, I'm old school. I was brought up to mind my own business and keep out of other people's.

Besides, why would I want to look at pictures of some teenage girl who can't go to the bathroom without posting 20 selfies of the event. Everyone in the world takes a dump. I don't know why she thinks her's is so special?????

You can probably guess that I'm not a fan.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a Facebook account, never posted on it, probably can’t, forgot my password, don’t matter.
I know people like that.
They create accounts, request you add them as a friend just so they can stalk you.
They never put anything on their page.
In the past, when that has happened I unfriend, then block.
I have a lot of people blocked Lol

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Wow, Zuckerberg lost 16 billion in 5 minutes.
I often wondered what would happen if he just pulled the plug on Facebook.

Probably mass hysteria from the under 30 crowd.
Some folks would be walking around like zombies forgetting how to live.
:yum
:

Facebook is great for sharing family pics and stuff that you want to share. AFAIK the younger generations are moving away from FB to snapchat and other apps that I cannot even name. They say the parents and 'old fuddy duddies' have moved in so they are moving out. At least that is what I heard from the three 20 somethings I talked to bout it.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Facebook is great for sharing family pics and stuff that you want to share. AFAIK the younger generations are moving away from FB to snapchat and other apps that I cannot even name. They say the parents and 'old fuddy duddies' have moved in so they are moving out. At least that is what I heard from the three 20 somethings I talked to bout it.

Don't have to worry about this old fuddy duddy moving in. I despise FakeBook. They can have my share and then some.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Don't have to worry about this old fuddy duddy moving in. I despise FakeBook. They can have my share and then some.
I tend to remove posts regular, then start over again.
Right now I have my lunch picture from today, 3 syrupy motivational things, pics of my waspy dangerosi sting, and a link to Pink Floyd's Comfortably Numb.
I follow this one guy who posts hilarious political memes etc. My eldest son and granddaughter, 18 gals from where I used to work, my former sister in law, brother and I don't remember who else.
It's not all that, or what it's cracked up to be.
I did see a Chrysler 300 that I'd like to get my hands on so I can get rid of the Malibu tho she still runs like a dream with 87,099 miles on the clock.
:bolt:

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I tend to remove posts regular, then start over again.
Right now I have my lunch picture from today, 3 syrupy motivational things, pics of my waspy dangerosi sting, and a link to Pink Floyd's Comfortably Numb.
I follow this one guy who posts hilarious political memes etc. My eldest son and granddaughter, 18 gals from where I used to work, my former sister in law, brother and I don't remember who else.
It's not all that, or what it's cracked up to be.
I did see a Chrysler 300 that I'd like to get my hands on so I can get rid of the Malibu tho she still runs like a dream with 87,099 miles on the clock.
:bolt:

Chrysler 300 is a real nice car. They have a terrific ride and very roomy. They are carry overs from the Mercedes / Chrysler marriage of years back. Everyone gets all excited about the new MB's or Beemers, but they are so cramped on the inside.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Chrysler 300 is a real nice car. They have a terrific ride and very roomy. They are carry overs from the Mercedes / Chrysler marriage of years back. Everyone gets all excited about the new MB's or Beemers, but they are so cramped on the inside.

They are very nice cars. We have a 300C AWD Hemi.

Ride and power are both first rate. And it gets around 24 mpg, if you keep your foot out of it lol.... :wink:

Face book sucks. I refuse to go there, and this just makes that a sure thing in the future as well...

Regards, Kirk

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter

They are very nice cars. We have a 300C AWD Hemi.

Ride and power are both first rate. And it gets around 24 mpg, if you keep your foot out of it lol.... :wink:

Face book sucks. I refuse to go there, and this just makes that a sure thing in the future as well...

Regards, Kirk

In my youth I wanted a 1960 300F. Thought it looked flashy!

Attachments

• C036D1B0-9031-48C2-B249-E9A15A4A4B47.jpg
    C036D1B0-9031-48C2-B249-E9A15A4A4B47.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 29

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I go on Facebook but mostly for the local classifieds section. And to keep up with family. I have observed that any pro trump is subject to liberal bashing yet anything anti liberal is subject to being banned for 24 hours.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I go on Facebook but mostly for the local classifieds section. And to keep up with family. I have observed that any pro trump is subject to liberal bashing yet anything anti liberal is subject to being banned for 24 hours.
Mr. Fox who is a moderator on the Defiance county emergency thing always posts pro-Trump stuff, so does this Kevin guy I follow out of Cleveland.
That's where I steal some of my best material.
Lol

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Just gets worse and worse for the little prick that owns FakeBook. :yum:

View attachment 102340

That algorthim thing.
One gal who I know keeps doing this copy and paste concerning something related to that in order to get others to thank or share.
That's almost as annoying as posting a pic of a sad dog with awww look at him, he needs some love. I bet he won't even get one share.
Right on by and shut up thank you very much.
I love dogs Helen.
Get off Facebook and go adopt one.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
As was pointed out on a news program today an algorithm is only as nonpolitical as the person writing it. It's a well known fact facebook is populated by a majority of lefties.
Mike

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Lisa Benson . . .

Attachments

• 185DBE89-06A6-4B11-89AA-8C64C6FBA9AD.jpeg
    185DBE89-06A6-4B11-89AA-8C64C6FBA9AD.jpeg
    35.3 KB · Views: 25