• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Good crop this year

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
This summer I had a fantastic crop. It was green, tall and very healthy. Sadly I never got to have any of it, I had an accident with some weedkiller, it still didnt kill it, nothing seems to kill it bit I thought it wise not to eat it after the weedkiller as it might make me grow a third foot or something.

I dont even know what Ground Elder tastes like, but I sure can tell you its the only thing that grows in the veg plot, AND IT WONT DIE!!!! :mad: :mad:

Why do weeds grow so much better than plants that you want?!?

emerald

Hmm I onwder Mith, is that the same stuff we call Bind weed. It is a crawler and clings, climbs, smoothers everything it sets itself upon. It has large leaves and in late summer it has large white flowers. I have spent the last 4 years abttling it, and now its nearly gone. At least the veggie patch gave me veggies this year.

The only thing that kills it off, its Grazon 90. Its pretty nasty stuff and ya gotta be warey when nuking with it.

Next year, I expect it to only have a foot hold in the odd place I missed this year. Its all over the countryside here, I wonder how long it will take for the councils to see it as a threat to indeginous plants. Ok thats the big word for today :tiphat:

Veggie patch was great to see back feeding me again. My neighbour brought me over a nice trailer load of 4 year old horse shit. It is great stuff!

Peas, Carrots, Onions, Lettuce, etc etc.....oh and a little patch cleared nearby for herbs. Now if only I had enough room to grow some rape seed.........

Emerald

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Nah, different stuff, similar effect.
We got bindweed too, atleast the flowers are pretty ;)
Ground Elder grows about 4'' tall and creeps everywhere, pretty impossible to get rid of. Hey its green and keeps the (other) weeds down to no harm, just means our veg patch gets smaller every year.
We compost all the bits out the kitchen and cuttins from the garden, get about 1/4 ton a year maybe more from the heaps, pretty good stuff, makes the vag grow good, but yeh cant really beat good ole shit for the veg, dont half smell though when you spread it about.

This coming year if I get the tractor done I might plough in the lawn and plant maize or corn or something. lots of compost and poo on it, should grow good. After its finished plough it up and plant lawn again. Should be good for a laugh ploughing the lawn in, like to see what everyone says :D

emerald

Luckily I havent got any of that ground elder. Dont want the stuff either, taking care of bind weed is hard enough.

If you can smell the shyte after you spread it, its not old enough. Good manure has no smell at all. Thats why I always look for the old stuff, its been cooking on the pile for years and has no smell. If you pick some up with your hands on sniff it close up, you might get a musty smell, thats about perfect.

I think plants grow through manure cos they are looking to get fresh air asap :)

Emerald

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Aww what, you dont want these that I just potted up? Anybody want some? :D

We generally have the newer stuff and just put it in a pile to rot a bit more, for some reason people dont seem to want a big pile of horse shit in the corner of their field, wonder why? :confused: