• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Get snowplow - HOA gets plow service!

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
After 8 years of living in this dysfunctional HOA of about 20 lots, I finally got a snow plow and got it working. In previous years, I have plowed about 1.5 miles of road with either a rear blade or my 60" snow blower and my compact tractor. So now that I have all the tools, the HOA finally hires a plow service to plow our road. :doh:

Oh well, if thats what it took then that is fine with me. I'm sure there will be times when the snow is coming down faster than the service can keep up so the plow will be handy then and it was a good project fabricating the frame mounts and rebuilding the plow (I got it pretty cheap). I still need the tractor just for my driveway.

It was actually somewhat relieving this morning to walk out and see that the road had been plowed. I can sit inside and relax instead. ;)

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
What are you paying your HOA dues for if you're plowing their roads for free? I'm confused.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I'm plowing the road so my wife can go to work and we can get out. It has nothing to do with me being nice. Also, if I get paid for plowing in any way then I have to worry about liability issues.

When we moved in the HOA had no money in the bank. After 8 years of me hounding people we actually have some money. Also, I cut back on my goodwill and stopped doing the road when I didn't need it and the other Home owner with a plow made a deal with a neighbor not in the HOA to use their road in exchange for plowing because he was so annoyed with the HOA.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
If I had to be in an HOA I would end up in jail! I like being responsible for myself for things like snow removal.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
When we built this house 18 years ago we made sure the streets were dedicated to the city so we would not have to worry about a plow service for the HOA. We have a lot of sub-divisions nearby that built streets too narrow for city equipment, and the city would not take ownership of the streets for plowing or repairs. Those folks really have expensive HOA fees to keep their streets plowed and repaired by private contractors. I believe they scrimped on teh streets so they could increase the density of the housing units and sell a few more houses or condos. Those places are like sardine cans as far as density goes.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
We are all on 5 acre lots so it's not packed in but the road is the biggest issue and if there is something for people to bicker and fight over then guess what they do.

Either way, the first year we were in the house there was a bad storm and we were stranded for 5 days. I finally went house to house and collected cash to pay to have the road cleared by heavy equipment. It was a learning experience for me and I'm much better prepared now. Even if the road isn't plowed it would have to be pretty bad for my truck to not be able to get out. I have v-bar chains for it and two sets of cable chains, a winch, the snow plow, the tractor with snow blower and usually about 500 pounds of salt.

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
At least your prepared to clear it when you decide or need to :wink:. I never depend on anyone , most times they just screw things up anyway & block others driveways thats allready been cleared . :hammer:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
It's probably a good thing for you that they got someone else.

If they hired you, they would expect that all the plowing is done by 6 am (or earlier) with continued passes through the day. I know people that were in the plowing business on the side, but the hours made them worthless at their day jobs due to lack of sleep.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
When I hire out to plow it is a buck a minute and I bill one way to their place. Otherwise I stay home and keep warm.

SnoFarmer

Even if you are not getting paid and you drop your plow you can be held liable for any damages you do to any property.

I've been plowing commercially for 28years and we charge by the job or push. IF you charge by the minute they always want you to go faster.
Then if you upgrade your equipment or become more proficient you just gave your self a pay cut.

$60 bucks an hr is to low to show a profit in my book. I've done the numbers.

2mill in liability Ins (minimum)
Maintenance, fuel, wages,
cost of the equipment.
ect etc. for most even with low overhead costs you need to charge $80-#125 +an hr.
I like to keep the income for a truck and operator at $100 an hr. mark
This insures an income and that we'll be around next year.

Most residential drives can be done in 15-20 minutes.

When hiring someone to plow for you ask them if they have commercial liability ins, this is not to be confused with there regular car/truck INS which will not cover any damages done while plowing. Ask to see there business Lic or get there lic # and a copy of their INS, so you know your dealing with a legit business.

Be weary of guys plowing for beer money or lowballing as they will do shoddy work and they be nowhere to be found in the spring when you find out that they plowed up all of your landscaping.