• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

2021 Garmin InReach Mini & SPOT X Satellite Communicator pricing, plans and features compared

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
In stand alone 2 way satellite communicator market there are 2 primary stand alone units.

The SPOT X and the Garmin InReach Mini.

Garmin makes a couple other larger portable units, those use the same service plans as the InReach Mini and generally have similar features. There are some other brands of satellite communicators that are found in the consumer market, the BivyStick and the Zoleo are becoming common, neither are stand alone communicators and both require their units to be paired with a Smartphone. I'm going to solely concentrate on the 2 stand alone units in this comparison.

If you need OPEN WATER coverage you want the Garmin units. If you need the polar regions, you want the Garmin units. If you need central Russia, parts of Asia or Africa, then you need the Garmin. SPOT simply does not do those regions so you can stop reading at this point if those are your concerns.

NONE of these units allow you to make a call through a satellite.

Part 1: COVERAGE MAPS

SPOT X:

SPOT X uses the 24 satellite Globalstar private network of satellites. Globalstar covers MOST the landmass of earth but not all of it and it lacks coverage over oceans. In some areas (orange) there may only be 1 way communication.

Screen Shot 2021-06-30 at 3.15.12 PM.png

GARMIN InReach Mini:
The InReach Mini from Garmin uses the 66 satellite Iridium Satellite network that covers 100% of the earth.

Any device that uses the Iridium Satellites will offer similar full global coverage, but may have different features and will have different price plans.

iridium-globe.png

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
PART 2: SUBSCRIPTIONS

Just like with a cellular phone, auto insurance or a subscription to Playboy magazine, satellite communicators only work if you sign up for their subscription service.

Both the SPOT and the GARMIN brands offer multiple plans and they offer a couple different option for the plans.

There are ANNUAL SUBSCRIPTIONS at lower rates and there are FLEX PLANS that allow you to turn off your unit for part of the year and only pay for the months that you use.

But the devil is in the details of these plans and it pay to read the details.

For example, if you have a SPOT X 2 way communicator and sign up for the ANNUAL BASIC plan, and you PAY FOR THE WHOLE YEAR at the start of the year you get 240 custom texts per year and you get all of those custom texts on day 1. But if you pay monthly then you get 20 custom texts per month and they do NOT "roll over" into the next month if you don't use them. So if you pay for the whole year and you use 40 texts in month 1 the you incur $0.00 in extra fees. But if you pay monthly then you pay 10-cents per extra text over 20 texts, so you start paying overcharges at text #21. May not seem like much, but if you end up in a situation where there is a whole string of texts due to a mechanical problem or something else where you need SOME help but not an actual rescue it could easily start to pile up charges. Paying the whole year may save you a nice chunk of change. I can find no similar thing with the Garmin InReach plans.

SPOT X Annual Subscription plans:

Below is the annual plan for SPOT X. Notice it does NOT point out that if you pay up-front that you get access to all your custom messages. Again, the devil is in the details, not in the info-graphics.

Screen Shot 2021-06-30 at 2.56.26 PM.png

SPOT X FLEX PLANS:
  • If you factor in the added annual extra fee of $24.95 for signing up for the FLEX plan then these only make sense if you only use the SPOT for 4 to 5 months per year because the monthly charge is higher than the annual rate.
  • SPOT charges a $19.95 1-time activation fee.
  • The FLEX plan costs you an extra $25 per year for convenience, which equals 2 full months of service in the Annual plan.

Screen Shot 2021-06-30 at 2.56.10 PM.png

GARMIN InReach Pricing Plans for Annual and Flex plans:

Below is the GARMIN InReach Mini plan. This same plan pricing is also available for the other GARMIN branded devices. The Garmin FREEDOM plan is very similar to the SPOT "Flex" plans. You can use it part time, shut it down part time.

• Garmin charges a $5 fee each time you "suspend" their service. They bill you $5 per month for every month the service is not in use.
  • Garmin charges a $34.95 one time Activation Fee.
  • If you "terminate" service to attempt to save money instead of 'suspending' your service, you will pay the $34.95 Activation Fee again when you restart your service.

Screen Shot 2021-06-30 at 2.58.02 PM.png

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
PART 3: FEATURES

DISCLAIMER ... some features appeal to some users and some don't.
DISCLAIMER #2 ... my primary uses are TRACKING and MESSAGING so my bias may show toward the SPOT X. However if mapping in a primary concern then the SPOT X simply does not compete in the same league as the Garmin and Garmin would be the only realistic choice.
DISCLAIMER #3 ... realistically most 'consumer' users will not pay for the top tier plans so my comparisons are typically of the BASIC service levels, mentioning the other plans

MAPPING:

Realistically the GARMIN units are the best choices if you want/need mapping capability.

Garmin's InReach units are very strong navigation aids when paired with a phone and the BaseMap system, you have access to your location on topographical maps, waypoints, directions and the whole host of Garmin navigational aids.​
SPOT X has no such navigation other than a simple directional compass and some waypoints but no high resolution topographical maps for charting your way home out of the wilderness​

"CHECK IN" Button Functionality:

Both the Garmin InReach Mini and the SPOT X have unlimited us of a check in button that sends a pre-typed message with your coordinates.​

TEXT MESSAGING: PART 1 - CUSTOM MESSAGING:

SPOT X
  • SPOT X basic plan includes 20 custom messages per month, those are incoming or outgoing.
  • Messages can be easily created on the SPOT X using the keyboard.
  • Messages can be created on your Smartphone and sent through your SPOT X.
GARMIN InReach Mini
  • GARMIN's basic plan includes 10 custom messages per month, those are incoming or outgoing.
  • Messages can be created on the Mini, but it is very cumbersome and very slow
  • Messages can be created on your Smartphone and sent through your InReach Mini

TEXT MESSAGING: PART 2 - PRE-Programmed Messaging:

SPOT X
  • Unlimited SOS communications
  • Unlimited "Check in" communications (you program the wording for this message)
  • Unlimited use of the 14 pre-programmed messages (you program what each message says)
  • Fetch rate to search for incoming messages can be set by the user at various intervals. Factory default setting is for manual checking of incoming messages.

Garmin InReach Mini
  • Unlimited SOS communications
  • Unlimited "Check in" communications (you program the wording for this message)
  • Unlimited use of 3 pre-programmed messages (you program the wording for this message)
  • I can't find the fetch rate settings for checking incoming messages but I will update when I do.
Clearly the communications advantage goes to the SPOT X with its 14 pre-programmed messages.

On my SPOT X unit I typed up messages that range from "Gas Stop, back on the road shortly" to "Tourist Stop, back on the road in a couple hours" as well as "Hotel stop, done for the day" in addition to others that are similar non-emergency messages but can alert someone at home that I am stopping for various duration from a quick stop to an overnight.​
I also have a few mechanical issues messages that would cover various durations and indicate some severity of a problem, or lack of severity. Finally I have a few messages that indicate real problems and that I need help, but perhaps not a medical helicopter dispatched.​
On ALL of the above messages, my map coordinates are sent out, along with a link to a map. With 14 pre-written messages programmed into my unit, and UNLIMITED use of them, I can send off fairly descriptive messages to people who may be watching my progress on a trip. The messages can go to their emails or be sent as SMS messages to their phones.​
On the GARMIN InReach Mini there are 3 of these types of messages available so you must be far more selective in your communication to a loved one back home.​

TRACKING via an electronic 'breadcrumb' trail:

Both units offer tracking, but here again SPOT X may have an advantage for the average user, at least with the BASIC and SECONDARY plans.

SPOT X
Unlimited use of tracking at 10 minute intervals on the basic plan. 10 minutes on a motorcycle or in a car could be a long distance. But if used consistently could show a direction of travel and at least give a starting point and clues as to where a search might be needed.​

GARMIN InReach Mini
Tracking is allowed, at 10-cents per pin drop, in 10 minute intervals on the basic plan. Assuming you are on a 7 day long trip, hiking or riding or kayaking for 6 hours each day, that would equal approximately 36 pin drops per day. 36 pin drops daily for a week translates to 252 pin drops during your trip, assuming you only use it while you are actively hiking/riding/canoeing/etc. At 10-cents per pin drop that adds up to a $25.20 over charge in addition to your monthly bill. Do that a few times over the course of the year and you might as well just upgrade to their unlimited plan!​

BLUETOOTH Smartphone Interface/App

Both units have a Smartphone App that connects to the unit via bluetooth. The Garmin unit is better, offers more functionality, and allows for vastly superior mapping. However for the most part the SPOT X doesn't need much of this interface. Yes, it might be a bit easier to type on your smartphone than on the keyboard, but if you lose your smartphone you an still type on the keyboard pretty easily. Garmin ALMOST requires you use your smartphone for SOME of its features to be useable and totally requires the smartphone for other features. Consequently they did a much better job with their app.​

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Awesome info Bob. Thanks. :tiphat:

I would suspect the only time you would or could text is when you do not have a cell signal. Otherwise your cell phone is much cheaper to use. But when you do text can you text someone with a cell phone or can you only text other Spot or Garmin devices?

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Awesome info Bob. Thanks. :tiphat:

I would suspect the only time you would or could text is when you do not have a cell signal. Otherwise your cell phone is much cheaper to use. But when you do text can you text someone with a cell phone or can you only text other Spot or Garmin devices?
Cellular is the preferred method because it is unlimited by my carrier, at least in the USA. But it is disadvantages ... see farther below.

My wife, when I ride alone, is constantly asking me for updates.
  • The "check in" function, which is common on all these units, gives me unlimited use of that button. Not only does is send a pre-written message (which I can modify) saying "Just checking In, all is OK", it also sends my coordinates.
  • Using the 14 pre-written messages (which I also modified for my uses), rather than sending a cellular text message, I can send a message that says I arrived at my destination + it includes my coordinates.
BOTH of the above messages arrive at my wife's cellular phone in the SMS format so it looks just like any other text message that she would receive, except they have my location coordinates + a map link to find me, included with each of those messages. There are minor downsides, it can take a couple minutes to transmit those messages, so there are some delays. But as there is UNLIMITED FREE USE of those messages there will be times when it is better to send those than a text message if I am riding in areas and I don't have a predefined route.

I often say I am going to "xxx" location that is 40 or 50 miles away but I don't necessarily say how I am going to get there, so having the 'breadcrumb' tracking + unlimited the 'pre-defined' messages offers a bit more peace of mind than a simple text message.

And since both cellular text messages and these types of satellite text messages are unlimited with my plans, no cost disadvantages.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
FWIW, if you read what I've written above you may feel the SPOT X is simply the better unit and I don't want to leave anyone with that impression. I want to be very balanced. The SPOT X is better for SOME people but Garmin InReach is better for SOME people.

This is from 2018, so it is 3+ years old, despite that it is a pretty good video review of the $450 Garmin InReach Explorer (not the $349 MINI that I am comparing above) to the PRIOR MODEL of the SPOT X. So this review, while actually reasonably good, is not actually talking about either of the 2 units I am comparing. Still, it worth watching because it gives some real world information about satellite communications. I'd also point out that some of the screen functions on the newer SPOT X that I own are very different than in the video.

Some of what he says in the video is pointless. He implies that the InReach has more satellites in any given area, but that may not be true, as the InReach has global coverage (discussed in a prior post), in North America the coverage is equivalent but not always equal. Both have trouble reaching a satellite in some conditions and that is the reality of these things. The NEWER versions of the SPOT actually have message confirmation, which is one of his issues in the video. The InReach tends to have faster transmission times in many situation.

The new SPOT has bluetooth, so again, much of what he says about the advantages for the Garmin InReach is now mute. That said, the Garmin interface is BETTER than the SPOT interface. But both now have Bluetooth and both have Smartphone apps.

One of my questions is, what unit is better if your smartphone is dead?

What functions do you need? If you need mapping then Garmin is your clear choice. If you need tracking then SPOT is you choice. If you need oceans or either of the poles, then Garmin is your choice. If you need a lot of flexibility in 2 way communications then SPOT is your choice. If you are expecting 2 way cellular type texting then you will be very disappointed with both of them.

Last edited:

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I carry a Garmin Mini with a "pay as you go" plan, without a monthly subscriptions - only activate it as needed prior to leaving for a trip where it might be useful. In nowadays life, we tend to have many subscriptions for "just in case" yet many of them dont get utilized at all as many others start to cover up the basic tracking of what one got...

So far unit has served me well, plus gives a good option to use Garmin's maps on the smartphone along with texting back/forth with family & friends.

Thanks for taking time to do the write-up, know many people are looking around for info and just dont know where to start.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I carry a Garmin Mini with a "pay as you go" plan, without a monthly subscriptions - only activate it as needed prior to leaving for a trip where it might be useful. In nowadays life, we tend to have many subscriptions for "just in case" yet many of them dont get utilized at all as many others start to cover up the basic tracking of what one got...

So far unit has served me well, plus gives a good option to use Garmin's maps on the smartphone along with texting back/forth with family & friends.

Thanks for taking time to do the write-up, know many people are looking around for info and just dont know where to start.
I think the devices are actually very different, and serve different customers.

But BOTH are amazing little pieces of technology that can save your butt in a bad situation.

GARMIN is clearly the device to choose for mapping and navigation.
SPOT X is clearly the device for communication and tracking.

BOTH have excellent satellite networks covering the AMERICAS, Northern AFRICA, East ASIA and EUROPE. Garmin adds the rest of the world, including the polar regions, central Africa, central Asia.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I would be remiss if I did not add that there are now 2 more devices on the market that are worthy of consideration.

ZOLEO and the ARC BivyStick. Both are similar in that they have no screen and are dependent upon a connection to a SmartPhone for much of their functionality. Without a Smartphone either will send and SOS message. The ZOLEO actually has the ability to also connect to cellular towers and wifi, which makes for some interesting possibilities. The BivyStick seems to have some serious strengths too.

I think in the case of all 4 of these brands your intended uses will determine the worth of the device. Each has a different set of features, and each requires a subscription of some sort. Most have a monthly plan, a temporary plan that can be suspended, etc. Messaging varies by provider. Some don't offer tracking, others only offer it at a premium.

Zoleo, Arc's Bivy Stick, and all the various Garmin InReach products use the Iridium satellite network which covers the entire globe. The SPOT X uses the more limited Globalstar network which covers about 60% of the globe.

Reactions: Doc