• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Fun with Farm Critters

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Now that I've gotten your attention, this thread is perfectly innocent! Ha, fooled ya, didn't I?:bigMoon:
When Jan and I finally get upnorth to stay, we've been thinking of chickens and geese. Jan had a chicken when we were sparking, Miss Chicken. She even had a video on Animal Planet about how the chicken ruled the roost around the cats. Now the geese are a different story. We kinda like the big white farm geese you see. Just how good are they at taking care of things like coyotes and unwanted visitors like the nieghborhood dogs. I know what they'll do to me! I've gotten tangled up a couple times with them. Man, those things can be nasty. Anyone have any spearence with em?:coolshade :beer:

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Yeh, I had some experience with farm animals including birds.

Some friends of mine who I had known for about 6 months (we shared a few, many, beers during the summer) decided that they needed a holiday. They owned a few acres. On those few acres there were, ~80 chickens, 14 ducks, 3 geese, 2 cats, 3 dogs, just over 4 million rats and a fox.
So guess who got the job of looking after the animals whioe they went away, actually I was looking forward to it, I like animanls (not it that way Junk...).
They left me instructions, 3 pages of them to be exact ;)
So away they went, I had to do Fri evening, Sat, Sun morning. Friday night I went over bout 9pm and got a beer out the fridge, let the dogs out, took them for a run round the field. Now I gotta put the birds away. The chickens werent happy about it, I soon discovered they are shit scared of a strimmer, that got them in the house. Ducks next, one look at them and they legged it straight into the house. Sorted.
The geese, now there was 1 gander, 1 goose and a gosling. The gander was about as tall as me and dead vicious, thats right you bastard, you try and crush that broom with your beak, I steered him into the house, phew, he wasnt happy about it though, I felt I was gunna pay for that tomorrw morning.
I drank more beer.
Goose next, I ran at it screming, it cowered into the hut, puffta goose.
Gosling, now this had been following me round the field all the time, it had attacked the dogs, they had run away, it had followed honking at them, I had doubled over in laughter at the comical situation.
Getting it into its hut, I woud guide it using some canes and a pallet and right at the last minute it would run to the side and take me on a 'wild goose chase' round the field. Shattered, slightly drunk and anticipating doing this all again the next morning before work I gave in. COME HERE YA BASTARD!!! I jumped on it (and some duck shit but hey) it foungt me off, what a damn strong thing, I'm not exactly weak (though I am quite short) and it just beat the crap outta me. I got it on the third try, it was a darn stroing thing.

Anyway the moral of the story is dont jump on a goose cause it pisses it right off.

Nah really, seeing what a really young gosling did to me, a dog and my ego I'm sure not gunna be getting any some time soon. not only are they evil, vicious, unfriendly and scary they are right noisy blighters too. So my advice, get some, ya aint gunna get robbed, but keep your dogs away otherwise their ego might be damaged too.

I just hope nobody was watching me get my ass kicked by a gosling :eek:

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Well Jim, Sounds like you got some experience!! ROTFLMAO!!!:a1: Jan thought it great too!! Sounds like just the critter to get! Now I just wonder what might happen if I had some goats too?:smileywac :loser:

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Well John, youd spend alot more time sleeping, I mean, it would be hard work, all those goats, so little time :D :D

BA, but whs the fox???
Is there something you want to tell us? :D