• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

FREE streaming of Local Broadcast TV that actually works and is actually free

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Every morning I tune into WGN9 TV from Chicago to watch the morning news show. I do this via DishNetwork. But due to a contract dispute between DishNetwork and the owners of WGN the channel has been dropped from my satellite TV package.

I found a free internet streaming service that provides local broadcast TV for 25 markets across the US. Clearly there are many markets missing but for anyone inside the Locast coverage area you can get all the free broadcast channels via internet streaming.

There are 2 bonuses for me by switching to Locast for my local channels.
  • I pick up all the extra digital channels that my Dish package did not broadcast so for each channel I was getting under DISH, I now get 2, 3 or 4 channels due to the added digital channels that are actually broadcast, each with their own programming.
  • I was able to drop the "local channel package" from my Dish monthly service, which reduced my bill by $12.00 per month.
Unlike some of the other internet streaming sources for broadcast TV, the Locast option is simple. It works perfectly on my ROKU boxes, claims to be compatible with Amazon Fire and other devices as well. I simply select the LOCAST icon on my Roku menu and a list with all the local channels shows up on my screen, in sequence, with both currently playing programs and upcoming scheduled programs.

Ceee

Site Supporter
Thank you! I'm going to try that. I cut my cable tv several years ago. I have an OTA antenna, which works really well unless it's really cloudy or raining. I have Roku, so it should work...keeping my fingers crossed :).

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I tried AT&T DirectTV but switched to YoutubeTV. YoutubeTV is actually pretty good. Works just about everywhere and the quality is as good as your internet will allow.

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
I stuck an antenna in the attic and ran it to two tuners wired to my LAN. One tuner has a DVR. I can get 62 channels OTA on virtually everything connected to my wifi. This set up works really well and doesn't require the internet.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I stuck an antenna in the attic and ran it to two tuners wired to my LAN. One tuner has a DVR. I can get 62 channels OTA on virtually everything connected to my wifi. This set up works really well and doesn't require the internet.
I still have an old antenna in the attic but it gets very limited reception. I'm on the edge of Chicago's reception area and even on good days some fo the channels are pretty marginal, others are clear. CBS is always problematic. NBC is sometimes an issue. I could get ABC, WGN and WTTW clearly. The UHF signals were iffy.

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
I still have an old antenna in the attic but it gets very limited reception. I'm on the edge of Chicago's reception area and even on good days some fo the channels are pretty marginal, others are clear. CBS is always problematic. NBC is sometimes an issue. I could get ABC, WGN and WTTW clearly. The UHF signals were iffy.
The old antenna might be your problem. The new ones are shaped differently. Here's the one I'm using: Amazon.com: [2020 Version] GE Attic Mount TV Antenna, Long Range Indoor Directional Antenna, Supports 4K 1080P Digital HDTV VHF UHF, Mounting Pole Included, Out of Sight Compact Design, 33692: Home Audio & Theater

It's getting all Cincinnati stations and channels from 30+ miles away in Dayton (I'm about 19 miles N of Cincy).

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The old antenna might be your problem. The new ones are shaped differently. Here's the one I'm using: Amazon.com: [2020 Version] GE Attic Mount TV Antenna, Long Range Indoor Directional Antenna, Supports 4K 1080P Digital HDTV VHF UHF, Mounting Pole Included, Out of Sight Compact Design, 33692: Home Audio & Theater

It's getting all Cincinnati stations and channels from 30+ miles away in Dayton (I'm about 19 miles N of Cincy).
I’m almost exactly 50 miles from the Sears Tower and the John Hancock buildings in Chicago, both of which have TV broadcast antennas. South Bend is closer to 90 miles, which is the next closest area with broadcast TV.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
USTVNOW was set up for use overseas.

At one time I thought it was restricted in the US.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Live out in the country and my internet service can't stream video so the smart TVs are a waste of time. I removed the aerial a long time ago and decided on Direct TV. Channel 19 out of Tyler and Direct TV are in a dispute again so we have no Channel 19. You would think that wouldn't be much of a a problem but guess where my wife's beloved Tennessee was playing football yesterday afternoon ... Channel 19. I had to set up the TV out in the RV for OTA signal and that took a little while as I haven't done that in over a year. She then ensconced herself in her recliner out there with a throw and a cup of coffee all afternoon. She kept paging me for coffee refills. It didn't help, Tennessee got beat.

I would love to have faster internet service. Maybe Elon Musk can help when his system is in place and fully operational.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Live out in the country and my internet service can't stream video so the smart TVs are a waste of time. I removed the aerial a long time ago and decided on Direct TV. Channel 19 out of Tyler and Direct TV are in a dispute again so we have no Channel 19. ...
Basically I'm on the fringe of antenna TV for the Chicago market. CBS over the air was always grainy. NBC was occasionally grainy, and fairly weather dependent. ABC, WGN and PBS were always good. The UHF stations included a couple other PBS stations, a couple minor local stations and a FOX channel. Those were typically OK as long as the weather was good.

We have no access to cable or X-finity or other services like those. Just too far out and too sparse of a population for them to run the appropriate wires/cables/fibers out to where we live.

Other than something like a bi-directional satellite (HUGHESnet or similar) our ONLY option currently for so-called "high speed" internet is a wide-area wi-fi service that is roughly 1/100th the speed of cable. But it is just fast enough that we can USUALLY stream movies on 2 of our TV sets. Occasionally we can can't get enough speed for 1 streaming movie, but typically its not too big of an issue. So we use the wide-area wi-fi and its good enough, better since I upgraded my router earlier this summer. And honestly I like the service, they are very responsive when there is an outage or some sort of service problem. They show up quickly, I actually talk to a local guy for occasional tech support, etc.