• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Free fall from space!

Ironman

Looks like they are gonna try again today.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrIxH6DToXQ"]Red Bull Stratos - freefall from the edge of space - YouTube[/ame]

Kane

He didn't break Kittinger's record of 4:36 minute free fall. He had 4:22 min.
If I recall, this is just about the amount of time the doomed crew of the Space Shuttle Challenger (God Bless 'em) fell before crashing into the Atlantic. No doubt Kittenger and Redbull had a much better time of it, and it must indeed seem like a very long time.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Top speed attained anyone??

I think he broke Mach 1...
800 mph. :eek:

edit to add, it was over 800mph:

Brian Utley, a jump observer from the International Federation of Sports Aviation, said preliminary figures show Baumgartner reached a maximum speed of 833.9 mph. That amounts to Mach 1.24, which is faster than the speed of sound. No one has ever reached that speed wearing only a high-tech suit.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/science/2012...-sound-barrier/?test=latestnews#ixzz29JzzjjMB

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Holy shit! Kittinger did it wearing his Carhartt's, work boots and winter leather gloves. His communications package is the wood box of 4 index card drawers strapped to his ass.

:wow:

Doc,

SO me thinks this dude Kittinger didn't hit the speed of sound back in the day?:whistling::unsure: Not that much difference in the total jumps. My bet is this may have been done before in those "Carhartt's"!!:whistling: Not some high tech jump suit. They just didn't have a way to measure his speed.

Really I do wonder if...

Regards, Kirk

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I suppose they could average his speed, knowing he jumped from 19 miles (5 miles less than Baumgartner) and his free fall was longer than Baumgartner's (4:36 vs 4:22).

Kane

Holy shit! Kittinger did it wearing his Carhartt's, work boots and winter leather gloves. His communications package is the wood box of 4 index card drawers strapped to his ass.
Carharts and orange duct tape! And the Red Bull folks sprung for a million-dollar pressurized space suit? So tell me just who is the bravest (craziest) man.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
From the article: "We took the German TV commentary off—it was on Red Bull-owned Austrian TV channel Servus—and added the actual audio from the event, synchronized with the video. The original video was removed from YouTube shortly after it was posted."

I was able to catch that video before it was pulled. The full 8-9 minutes. Neat stuff for sure!

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Man that roll at those speeds would have been scary dontcha think?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Intentionally exiting a craft at that height would be scary enough for me.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
He said he figured he was a goner when he started rolling. But he managed to pull out of it and make a successful landing.

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
Kittinger jumped with a drogue chute to stabilize his decent. On an earlier lower jump he tumbled so fast he lost consciousness. His automatic deployment system on his chute saved his life at that time.