• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Four times as many troops and vets have died by suicide as in combat, study finds

Lenny

SUPER Site Supporter

Four times as many troops and vets have died by suicide as in combat, study finds​

The suicide rate among active-duty troops and veterans has outpaced the also-rising rate in the general population in recent years, but with so many risk factors inherent to military life, it’s difficult to pin down why.

There’s no one reason for it, according to a study released Monday by the Costs of War Project, and the way the Defense Department and VA track suicides might mean even their growing numbers are incomplete.

“The report notes that the increasing rates of suicide for both veterans and active duty personnel are outpacing those of the general population ― an alarming shift, as suicide rates among service members have historically been lower than suicide rates among the general population,” according to a news release.

Per researchers’ estimates, 30,177 Global War on Terror veterans have died by suicide, compared to 7,057 who have died while deployed in support of the Global War on Terror.

There are myriad stressors endemic not only to combat deployments, but also to military service, that may contribute to the rising suicide rate.

“There are clear contributors to suicidal ideation like high exposure to trauma — mental, physical, moral, and sexual — stress and burnout, the influence of the military’s hegemonic masculine culture, continued access to guns, and the difficulty of reintegrating into civilian life,” according to the report. “In addition to these factors, it is imperative we also consider the impact of the military’s reliance on guiding principles which overburden individual service members with moral responsibility, or blameworthiness for actions or consequences, over which they have little control.”

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sadly this is not a huge surprise. We send people into horrible situations and expect miracles, then when they come home we give them minimal support.

I'm not really sure why we have our military spread so thin, doing so many different jobs. To my mind the military should be reserved for the gravest of circumstances and deployed only when we need to kill people and destroy their cities, infrastructure and spirit. But we send them in to do "nation building" and to "teach democracy" in areas where there is no history of democratic rule or even a concept of such a thing. We ask them to do humanitarian duties one day and then shoot to kill the next day. Of course these young people come home with unresolved issues and we don't give them the support and treatment they need and deserve.

We need to stop being the world police/emergency response team and use the military to kill people and break shit.

If we want a humanitarian force that builds nations and fixes infrastructure it should be a separate group with a different mission.

Lenny

SUPER Site Supporter
Sadly this is not a huge surprise. We send people into horrible situations and expect miracles, then when they come home we give them minimal support.

I'm not really sure why we have our military spread so thin, doing so many different jobs. To my mind the military should be reserved for the gravest of circumstances and deployed only when we need to kill people and destroy their cities, infrastructure and spirit. But we send them in to do "nation building" and to "teach democracy" in areas where there is no history of democratic rule or even a concept of such a thing. We ask them to do humanitarian duties one day and then shoot to kill the next day. Of course these young people come home with unresolved issues and we don't give them the support and treatment they need and deserve.

We need to stop being the world police/emergency response team and use the military to kill people and break shit.

If we want a humanitarian force that builds nations and fixes infrastructure it should be a separate group with a different mission.
I agree with you. We throw a lot of money at nations. Probably 99.9% stays in the hands of their leaders and like you say, our soldiers' lives are taken or mentally and physically destroyed for the rest of their lives.

The mainstream medias told people to hate the soldiers but love the government that order us over to Vietnam. Of course, that was to take attention away from the government and people were stupid enough not to see it.

KobbeKid

Four times as many troops and vets have died by suicide as in combat, study finds​

The suicide rate among active-duty troops and veterans has outpaced the also-rising rate in the general population in recent years, but with so many risk factors inherent to military life, it’s difficult to pin down why.

There’s no one reason for it, according to a study released Monday by the Costs of War Project, and the way the Defense Department and VA track suicides might mean even their growing numbers are incomplete.

“The report notes that the increasing rates of suicide for both veterans and active duty personnel are outpacing those of the general population ― an alarming shift, as suicide rates among service members have historically been lower than suicide rates among the general population,” according to a news release.

Per researchers’ estimates, 30,177 Global War on Terror veterans have died by suicide, compared to 7,057 who have died while deployed in support of the Global War on Terror.

There are myriad stressors endemic not only to combat deployments, but also to military service, that may contribute to the rising suicide rate.

“There are clear contributors to suicidal ideation like high exposure to trauma — mental, physical, moral, and sexual — stress and burnout, the influence of the military’s hegemonic masculine culture, continued access to guns, and the difficulty of reintegrating into civilian life,” according to the report. “In addition to these factors, it is imperative we also consider the impact of the military’s reliance on guiding principles which overburden individual service members with moral responsibility, or blameworthiness for actions or consequences, over which they have little control.”

It may be true but I find that hard to believe.....I do know there are a lot of suicides.

• Wow
Reactions: Doc

Lenny

SUPER Site Supporter
It may be true but I find that hard to believe.....I do know there are a lot of suicides.
Why? We were treated like crap by the Military and by the locals in and near Military bases. People with PTSD, anxiety and depression are treated like crap by narcistic people and that makes it worse for them. Families don't understand the conditions so they distance themselves from them too. And the VA medical facilities Treat them like crap too.

Jonnym

I was in the British army for just over 10 years, I toured Iraq once and Afghanistan twice and some of the things that we saw out there nobody should ever have to witness and had a huge affect on my mental health after I was discharged, my life took a dramatic down spiral and suffered with addiction and had suicidle thoughts every day until I started counselling and have finally started to turn my life around

echo

Sorry I don't get it.
If I witness a bad train wreck, why would I turn to drugs?
Please explain

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
This says a lot about the technologies we have developed in the art of war and combat. The equipment, training and technologies that prevent injuries and the resources to salvage the wounded. These elements of our military are top notch. But the horrors of war, the mind bending grind of daily combat tension and the pitiful waste of human energy and lives still wears on our troops. As it always has.

And hopefully, always will.

I do not mean to minimize the plight of the returning soldier from the horrific life they experienced. But keep in perspective, our energies and resources are aimed at keeping them alive so they can come home. At that we seem to be successful.

The problem of suicide in the military is as old as battle fatalities. We got the one carnage down. Time to look at the other carnage

echo

My wife just said "just because you are not bothered by things like that"

Did I get used to being in high stress areas?

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Just think of all the EMTs, firemen and LEOs that have to deal with all kinds of human carnage. I'm sure a lot them suffer with PTSD.
Having been one for years, I will validate your suspicions. However, the senseless destruction, carnage, and death of innocents is far less
common in the first responder occupation.

echo

When I was a kid. Driving a firetruck and pulling up behind a car with the siren on and seeing what happens. One girl was putting on her clothes in the back seat, I turned off the siren as I passed going about 80 And gave the horn one toot.. Down in Fla I was going 90 and came around a corner and an Old Granny was on her tricycle in my lane There was no way I could stop so I drove between incoming cars, up a bankment and back on the road and never missed a beat.

kc3tec

Just think of all the EMTs, firemen and LEOs that have to deal with all kinds of human carnage. I'm sure a lot them suffer with PTSD.
We do! But our only support is the other members of the department.
Our traumas are not recognized by any government agencies.

As a veteran ive seen friends die standing right beside me, ive seen horrific carnage during rescue operations, smelled things i want to forget from remains recovery, and the worst of all the agonizing screams and cries of seriously wounded people.
Seeing the despair of family members at the loss of a loved one wrenches your emotions just as badly.

And yes its very hard for someone to understand the unique pain you feel so its very hard for them to understand the depression that eventually occurs also.