• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Ford straight-6 industrial engine coupled to Onan EK30 genset

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've had this genset (Onan EK30, 30KW) laying around. Decided to resurrect it.

Got the engine running by doing standard repairs (replace fluids, filters, fuel pump & all electrical components). It now purrs like a kitten. The engine is a circa 1974 300CID, 4.9L straight 6 industrial.

Bad part is (while it sat, waiting to get engine running) the previous owner attempted to rewire the genset for 110/220V single phase and didn't do the wiring properly. Found this out after I got the engine running then turned on the breaker for the generator head and it started smoking.

I'm still running diagnostics on the generator head but there's a really good chance it's fried and probably not worth the $ to get it fixed.

That said, I now have a good engine, probably bad generator all sitting on a decent trailer that I may want to sell as whole or parts.

I know these engines were used in a ton of applications from the 1960's to the 1990's in everything from machinery to cars to trucks.

What do you think the engine worth?

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
Local to me. That's probably a 1500 to $2,000 engine. Take that with a grain of salt though everything in Wyoming costs more. I've been struggling to find a VW 1600 engine that is below 3 grand.