• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

FORD 9N Tractor

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I am hoping to pick up a 9N FORD tractor this weekend. THE guy had an 8N and a 2N on his driveway but when I called he mentioned a 9N in the garage.

The 2N was adequate but I would prefer the 9N as I have had several years' experience with one. Most 2N's do not have starters or Generators and run off a magneto. This due to wartime restrictions when the 2N was being built instead of the 9N.

I also have had the 8N both of which were stolen.

If he hasn't sold it by Saturday, I will get the 8N

$1,800.

This is a perfect unit for grading gravel drives with a back blade, of which I have two that fit the three point hitch.

That and a brush hog which I do not yet have.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
Maybe you already know but with a brush hog running and you need to stop, either allow ample stopping distance or be ready to disengage the PTO as the inertia of the hog will keep pushing the tractor. I don't know if you can buy an overrun clutch for the driveshaft.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Maybe you already know but with a brush hog running and you need to stop, either allow ample stopping distance or be ready to disengage the PTO as the inertia of the hog will keep pushing the tractor. I don't know if you can buy an overrun clutch for the driveshaft.
Thanks.

I am familiar with what you are saying. This ain't my first 9N. The PTO doesn't have a clutch. I plan to use a brush hog with it's own motor as I did before. Hard to find but I did use one with my Grandpa's Allis Chambers.

Last edited:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I was going to mention that.

Another good tractor choice of that era is the OLIVER Super 66. Had several features the Ford tractors didn't have. Not as easy to find, but there are plenty of them around.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I was going to mention this also, but saw Franc had owned a 9N before.
When we first moved to the country my first tractor was an 1952 8N. Cool tractor. So simple but lots of little innovations on these ole tractors that it takes a closer look to appreciate.
But to your point, I was unaware that it did not have the two stage clutch. The brush hog about pushed me over the cliff more than once. Once I understood it no problem, it was the learning that caused some pucker factor.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
I have a 1953 jubilee, first one to have overhead valves. I have had it for 14 years and just put gas and oil in it. I use it hard in the spring mowing everything down. When I first got it I excavated for my shop pad down 4 feet on one side over 100' to get it level and spread the dirt out over the whole property. I got it for 3k then and figure the first job paid for it and then some. Took me 3 months @ 4 hours a day.The Jubilee has the same issue when you have the PTO engaged.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Wel, I did take delivery today. This tractor is awesome. Unlike the wreck i had before this one is restored and well done. The guy who was selling it had three of them. A 9N, and 2N and an 8N. All were collateral on a personal loan to a guy who rebuilt them for a Hobby/business.

The guy disappeared without paying back the loan. So, Charlie just divided the amount over all three and put them on his front lawn. $1800 each.

I got the 9N completely restored for junk price. Conversion to 12 volt done as well. Motor starts just bumping the starter. There's a humorous story there I'll tell later.

My flip phone takes lousy pictures. I'll have nice ones next weekend.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
So I'm loading the tractor on mytrailer. I usually build a box of 2X4's around and under the wheels so it doesn't roll or shift to one side in transit. Then, I chain it down front to back so it stays down inside the 2X4 Box. I went to lift the 3 point up so I could place the Ramps under the tractor.

To do this I needed to turn on the ignition, depress the clutch, start the engine and raise the bar. As I got into the seat, I momentarily "bumped" the starter switch with my foot. The SOB started on that little tickle and began to roll backwards, right off the trailer. Luckily the front wheels were straight, and we went right down the ramps before I could gather what was going on and stop the rig. Inches before it ran into Charlie's brand-new Chevy pickup.

Charlie goes, "you almost hit my new truck with your tractor."

"Not my tractor!"

"What?"

I reminded him that since I had not yet given him any payment,,, the tractor was, essentially, still his.

We both laughed and then shared a few hours drinking lemonade and telling old stories.

Got the 9N back on the trailer and I successfully got it to Hippie Ridge without incident.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
So I'm loading the tractor on mytrailer. I usually build a box of 2X4's around and under the wheels so it doesn't roll or shift to one side in transit. Then, I chain it down front to back so it stays down inside the 2X4 Box. I went to lift the 3 point up so I could place the Ramps under the tractor.

To do this I needed to turn on the ignition, depress the clutch, start the engine and raise the bar. As I got into the seat, I momentarily "bumped" the starter switch with my foot. The SOB started on that little tickle and began to roll backwards, right off the trailer. Luckily the front wheels were straight, and we went right down the ramps before I could gather what was going on and stop the rig. Inches before it ran into Charlie's brand-new Chevy pickup.

Charlie goes, "you almost hit my new truck with your tractor."

"Not my tractor!"

"What?"

I reminded him that since I had not yet given him any payment,,, the tractor was, essentially, still his.

We both laughed and then shared a few hours drinking lemonade and telling old stories.

Got the 9N back on the trailer and I successfully got it to Hippie Ridge without incident.
You might want to check that out, thats not suppose to happen. On OE the starter switch wont depress unless its in neutral.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
You might want to check that out, thats not suppose to happen. On OE the starter switch wont depress unless its in neutral.
Which is why I was totally surprised.

The original starter switch is not in service. This one is an add on and was not even in the right place. Not unusual for that "neutral" sensing switch to have failed after 80 years. If I remember, it didn't work on my other 1939 9N unless if fished a bit with the shift lever.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Which is why I was totally surprised.

The original starter switch is not in service. This one is an add on and was not even in the right place. Not unusual for that "neutral" sensing switch to have failed after 80 years. If I remember, it didn't work on my other 1939 9N unless if fished a bit with the shift lever.
I think what is suppose to happen is there is a pin and a hole that line up in order for the button to be depressed in neutral only.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Franc, just curious. Why did you go with the older 9N when you could have had the newer 8N for the same price?

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I think what is suppose to happen is there is a pin and a hole that line up in order for the button to be depressed in neutral only.
Thanks. But I'm fine with it just working as it is.

So far anyway.
Franc, just curious. Why did you go with the older 9N when you could have had the newer 8N for the same price?
That's exactly what others often think. The 9N was actually sold one day before I got there. I would have settled for the 8N. But when I arrived, the customer had changed his mind and went with,,, "the newer version."

So, I got the 9N. Which frankly of these two, was in better condition. And my personal preference.

I have had both versions before. The 8N is slightly smaller, lower to the ground and less power. I prefer the 9N. The age difference is a 70 year old unit or an 80 year old unit.

BTW, the 2N is newer than the 9N and was manufactured during WWII. And yet I would prefer the 9N every time because the 2N is just a stripped-down version of the 9N..

What does it matter?

Condition and preference.

Reactions: Doc

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I thought the 9N was made up to 1948, and the 8N came out in 49 or 50. I had a 1952 version of the 8N. A neat little tractor. 25hp if I remember right. I didn't realize the 9N had more clearance and more power. Interesting.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I thought the 9N was made up to 1948, and the 8N came out in 49 or 50. I had a 1952 version of the 8N. A neat little tractor. 25hp if I remember right. I didn't realize the 9N had more clearance and more power. Interesting.
The 9N design was converted to 2N during the war because of restrictions. So essentially the same frame and castings but no starter motor, no battery, no distributor, no generator. Often delivered with steel wheels because rubber was controlled. So, in a way yes, the 9M'swere produced until 1948

The 8N 's I had were not, IMHO, as strong a motor ( torque) than the 9N's.

Reactions: Doc