• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Epic FAIL

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
2016 Olympics: STUNNING - Chicago lost in first round of voting

This just in:
Oprah, Obama and Michelle's Chicago Olympic push ends in disappointment
Smallscreen News
By April MacIntyre Oct 2, 2009, 15:29 GMT

US TV personality Oprah Winfrey and Chicagos Mayor Richard Daley arrives at Amalienborg Castle Thursday 1st October 2009 for the Olympic support VIP. The International Olympic Committee (IOC) will vote on the destiny of the 2016 Summer Olympic Games on October 2, 2009 in Copenhagen after a final round battle between Chicago, Madrid, Tokyo and Rio de Janeiro (Foto: Soren Bidstrup/Scanpix 2009)​

And:
2016 Olympics: STUNNING - Chicago lost in first round of voting

More at Zennie62.com | Follow me on Twitter! | Get my widget! | Visit YouTube | Visit UShow.com

The news is like a brick hitting one on the head. In the 2016 Olympics vote today, it was announced by the IOC that Chicago "having received the least amount of votes" was eliminated from the running for the 2016 Olympics.

Forget Obama or anyone else, count me as stunned and disappointed. The bid was considered to be the front-runner, so just what happened I don't know. Politics? Yes.

Or, as my Mom's friend put it, they - the IOC - didn't want Obama to have the victory because he's not "for the rich" and points to the health care issue as an example.

But I don't think that was the case; I think it was media organizations like CNN constantly pushing Chicago's crime problem right before the vote today. CNN should be ashamed.

I really feel bad about this one; it's like rooting for the Cubs in the playoffs or Cal to win the Pac-10 Championship. We need to find Steve Bartman and bring back Joe Kapp.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/abraham/detail?blogid=95&entry_id=48809#ixzz0SnJ4aeFZ

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
It's part of the vast right-wing conspiracy. :shifty:

I think the only ones fighting this was a portion of the people from Chicago only. Based on the expense, the financial situation of Chicago it was the best thing that could have happened.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Jimmy Carter just announced the vote was RACIST

motivator316eeafdbfe2cf6cc7cebddfa2.jpg

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Are you saying this because the figureheads for Chicago were all black? LOL

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Richie Daley is a white guy . . . last time I checked!!!

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
One less thing to piss our tax dollars away on!

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was 100% against the Olympics being here and so were 70% of the population!!!!!!!!!

The only people that would win from it would be construction, servers, bartenders, valet and the other tourist-related folks. OH! And many company owners. The rest of the population would have to pay the bill VIA taxes to pay for all the crap! ANNNND traffic here is already a nightmare!
Ive been talking to people for a year about this and saying its a horrible idea!
Plus what happens AFTER the Olympics???? What do we do with the crap that was built? How do we utilize it???

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
CLEARLY THE SPIN MACHINE IS ROLLING ALONG AT FULL STEAM AHEAD

Posted Friday, October 02, 2009 12:02 PM
Losing the Olympics Bid Is Good for Obama
Katie Connolly of NEWSWEEK

http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/theg...osing-the-olympics-bid-is-good-for-obama.aspx

Chicago has been eliminated in the first round of IOC voting. Wow—I did not see that coming. The way I figured it, this White House is far too protective of the president’s strategically crafted image to allow him to travel thousands of miles only to fail on the world stage. I thought it was a done deal—who's better at vote-counting than the Obama people? I would have bet money that Rahm and Axelrod knew they had the numbers in the bag before they let him step on Air Force One. I was so very wrong. Not only did they fail, they failed in the first round! It's a bad look for the president, especially coming on the heels of this morning’s depressing unemployment figures.
. . .
This is pretty embarrassing for the White House. (Especially letting Obama having to fail in front of his wife—ouch!) But ultimately, it’s a good thing for him.
. . .
Already, some of his closest supporters and friends were on the bid committee: his campaign’s national finance chair Penny Pritzker and a co-chair of his inaugural committee, Patrick Ryan, both had key roles. Senior adviser David Axelrod’s communications firm, AKPD Media, was one of the contractors for the committee, and Obama confidant Valerie Jarrett had been involved in supporting the bid. When problems would start to arise in the planning of this mammoth event—and they invariably would have—Obama would be implicated, regardless of his actual involvement.

Olympics-related screw-ups may have no concrete bearing on Obama’s capacity to govern, but they do make easy campaign ads. It’s not hard to imagine attack ads tying whatever planning ineptitude that was making news back to the White House.
. . .

Now the article goes on. But as I read the article, basically the author seems to imply that Obama's people are interwoven into the corruption of the Chicago politics and by losing the Olympics they will not all be exposed. At least that is my take on it.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Does anyone know of the Bid Fees to host an Olympics? I did a search and could not find anything. The reason I ask is because this morning on the radio they stated there was an expense of 50 million to bid the Olympics. Now I don't if all costs involved or if just a bid fee. If there is a bid fee do we get it back?

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
These guys have got it all wrong. I listened to POTUS speech, and, once again, it seemed to me to be about two things: The past failings of other administrations during the Salt Lake and Atlanta Olympics, and the I-Me game, who will personally see to it that these things do not go on in Chicago.
Meanwhile, in Chicago, another tape of a student being beaten to death. In DC, a couple of more Czars fired for misconduct, corruption, and bad policies. Politicians making statements so dumb that even the EU can figure them out. Probably not relevant to the turn down of Chicago. Even the triple team of americas best could not fix this one.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
The blame game article essentially summed it all up in the last paragraph by stating that it was time to move the games to another part of the world. Rio is a good bit removed the USA, and it makes sense (if you're dealing with fairness) to move it around. We have had our turns, so let some other continent share the joys of the games in their own backyard. Of course, you cannot discount the facts presented regarding the upsets in leadership roles, fighting over extreme salaries, then the leaders not doing their jobs. Just another form of politics and more of "he said, she said" finger pointing.

Failure can be a good thing, and it can often be attributed directly to a departure from successful tactics and activities. Do you think anyone will look to see where they may have messed up, or will they continue to look for a scapegoat? I'm putting my money on the goat.

BoneheadNW

I have never been to Rio but I have seen pictures. I have been to Chicago. Which of the two cities would you rather visit?
Bonehead

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I have never been to Rio but I have seen pictures. I have been to Chicago. Which of the two cities would you rather visit?
Bonehead

Because I have been through Chicago once I think I would like to try RIO. Well no Chicago is a much shorter trip. I hate traveling.