• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Emergency kit for the cat

fritz

alright everybody, what are the essentials to carry in the cat? In regards to emergency repairs and what not. I have a track jack, splices, basic hand tools, what am I forgetting?

turbinator62

Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
I have 2 large plastic ammo boxes and 4 small ones with aerial flares, hand flares and 2 smoke canisters, water bottles, fire starter, energy bars, compass, bow saw, hatchet, large kbar type knife, 2 pair of snowshoes, 2 snow shovels, first aid kit, blankets, rope, track jack's, track pins, tool kit, extra gas, chain type come-along, tow strap, parts kit, extra gloves and stocking hats, flashlights and a 12 volt air compressor. Sounds like a lot when written out but it all fits behind and under the seats and hangs on the walls. The shovels are on mounts above the doors on the out side.

fritz

I have 2 large plastic ammo boxes and 4 small ones with aerial flares, hand flares and 2 smoke canisters, water bottles, fire starter, energy bars, compass, bow saw, hatchet, large kbar type knife, 2 pair of snowshoes, 2 snow shovels, first aid kit, blankets, rope, track jack's, track pins, tool kit, extra gas, chain type come-along, tow strap, parts kit, extra gloves and stocking hats, flashlights and a 12 volt air compressor. Sounds like a lot when written out but it all fits behind and under the seats and hangs on the walls. The shovels are on mounts above the doors on the out side.
Sounds like I need to add to my kit, I did get a couple pair of snowshoes to just live in the cat. I think I'll also throw in some mre's.

Snowy Rivers

If you venture deep into the bush in the snowy/cold weather I would seriously consider a SATELLITE PHONE.
Cell phones are handy and we all have them....sadly cell signal can be non existent in the back country.

We take ours hunting, fishing and on any trip into the back country.

IF YOU CAN SEE THE SKY....YOU CAN GET A CALL OUT FOR HELP.

This bad boy is an older model with the hard case and can easily find a spot in the cat..
You can carry the hand set in your pocket/snow suit or back back....or just plug in the power connector to the 12 volt power port/ciggy butt connector in the cat/truck or ??? and place the antennae on the roof.

I have made calls from deep inside places like HELLS CANYON....No problem.

Tools and parts are always good....but being able to reach out for help is invaluable...

This particular set up can be found on ebay often......Looks like an old school cell phone from the 90's..... but the call quality is amazing.. (Globalstar GSP1600 WITH MIL HARD CASE)

This unit is on the GLOBALSTAR SYSTEM $50 Month plan
Not a lot of minutes on the plan....but ya don't sit and jawjack on these suckers.... 50 minute plan....

Safety is the best thing you can carry with you.....
Plus...While in the bush you can encounter other travelers that need help....and need it quickly....Sat phone can get an air ambulance to your location in very short order (Compared to the slow pace of a snow cat)

LIKE THE STICKER ON THE CASE SAYS "BOLDLY GOING WHERE CELL PHONES CAN'T"

Attachments

• IMG_1672.jpg
    IMG_1672.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_1673.jpg
    IMG_1673.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_1674.jpg
    IMG_1674.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:

timbo

If you're content to text vs. speak, the Garmin InReach is pretty sweet. About $400 and $10/month for basic package.

Attachments

• Garmin InReach.png
    Garmin InReach.png
    383.6 KB · Views: 52

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Oh boy. This is going to be an extensive list as we carry a ton of extra gear in the groomers that we hope to never need out on the trail. Just in the cab of the machines, we have...

Lock de icer, crescent wrench, ratchet strap, hammer, First aid kit, spot satellite tracker, plus the machines have built in GPS tracking.

In the back on the deck we carry....extra diesel fuel, fuel conditioner, a Shovel, gas powered chainsaw, propane heater, a full set of larger wrenches, spare hydraulic hoses, spare hydraulic fluid, spare air filters.

Keep in mind that we are out sometimes 50km from the nearest cell signal and out for 12-14 hrs at a time and sometimes longer and can't really expect to get help.

Some of the operators (including myself, carry an extra bag of personal items we might need like extra hats, gloves, an extra sweater, flashlight, a tiny propane burner that fits in the palm of my hand for cooking and melting snow should I be stranded and have to wait for rescue.) Hours at -35 is no fun.

Last edited:

Thebartman

Don’t forget your Avalanche Beacon, probe, and shovel Not only for your recovery but, you never know what your going to come upon in the backcountry

Reactions: PJL

turbinator62

Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
I have a butane pipe lighter in all of my vehicles. It's like a small blowtorch. Great for thawing locks and/or fire starter.