• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Ebay

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
We talk about Ebay all over our forum. For easier reference I created a new forum to discusss and share great finds, funny items for sale, or items your selling on Ebay. If you have an Ebay store you can post info about it here or tell us about cool tools that helps you manage your Ebay auctions or purchases. No Ebay forum would be complete without discussing the many scams a shopper has to be aware of. ....So, I think we'll have plenty to talk about.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
I'll start, I guess.

To set the stage - I took a few days off a week ago for some R&R. My wife had other ideas, and I had to install a wet bar made out of nice cabinets, built in fridge, wine cooler, sink, etc. But I like doing this sort of thing, especially a last minute-hurry-up-and-get-it-done kinda thing. Besides, I'm proud of it.

To preface the work I did, my wife declared that this was the only project all summer, allowing me to go boating all summer. Ha! Did I get suckered in. So now I have to replace the front door with a fancy cut-glass affair. So, since I am now buying anew door and storm door, I figure I'd better get some nice hardware. My neighbor has a PowerBolt dead bolt. This is a battery powered key less entry scheme. So I go to eBay to see what they cost, and they are about 70 bucks. Not Bad!

But then I see something even neater - a biometric key less door lock. That's right - fingerprints! It stores over 300 finger prints, and also has a keypad if needed, and even a security key. So I bought a biometric door lock for my new last-job-of-the-summer door. I would never have even have looked for one.

My wife says I'm nuts. But I figure if I keep doing goofy stuff like buying fingerprint readers for my front door, she'll lay off the projects.

PS - I buy a lot of stuff on eBay, and sell some stuff too. Never had a problem with eBay or PayPal, knock on wood.

beds

waybomb said:
But then I see something even neater - a biometric key less door lock. That's right - fingerprints! It stores over 300 finger prints, and also has a keypad if needed, and even a security key. So I bought a biometric door lock for my new last-job-of-the-summer door. I would never have even have looked for one.

That is too cool! I want one so bad! :thumb:

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
It was $189.00 Not Cheap. But looking it up at regular resellers, they go for over $300.00. They come in brushed silver and polished brass. The company that makes them makes some relly hi-tech locks. These are the bottom of the line. Some of the hi end ones track who used the lock and when.

beds

I'd like the ability to add and delete prints. I find that I have to entrust a key to trades people or friends looking after our place and the ability to delete their print would give me a sense of security. Great find!

JimR

Charter Member
I've had great luck on Ebay selling and buying items. So far only one experience that turned me sour. I got the guy kicked for 3 months for having his auctions bid up by a friend.

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
Kubota King said:
Jim - How did you figure out it was his friend?
I'm not Jim, but I had a similar experience. This was long ago when a lot of bids (over 10?) would move an auction up to the 'featured area' at the top of the list.

I bid on an auction, and someone made several bids that finally matched mine. I raised my bid to maximum and a second guy bid a lot of times, finally exceeding mine. The auction moved up to the featured area.

I quit and started investigating. About a third of all the auctions these three jokers listed had been won by another of them. When they first joined ebay, in the same week, they had given one another fantastic feedback within FIVE MINUTES of the auctions closing.

This was before Paypal, there was no way to make payment and complete delivery in 5 minutes unless they lived down the hall from one another.

In those days your email was your your member name unless you changed it. Researching their ID history, I saw they all started at the same ISP. This was a clear case of someone shilling his own auctions.

I wrote this up and emailed it to ebay, never got a reply.

Last edited:

JimR

Charter Member
Kubota King said:
Jim - How did you figure out it was his friend?
\

I bid on an item and this guy bid it up and cancelled his bid with a few minutes of the auction left. I thought that was pretty fishy. So I went to the Advanced Search function and did a search of this guy and his bids. Ebay showed the town he was from. I searched Mapquest and found his town was right next to the seller. I also found that this guy had bid up 3 other auctions of this seller and cancelled within a few minutes before the auction ended. He pumped up each and every auction. I then emailed the buyers of these items and gave them all the information. The four of us emailed Ebay and got the seller suspended for 3 months. The other guy got kicked off.

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
That must have been a long time ago. Now, ebay just is interested in the money, and they don't seem to care about much more.... Junk..

JimR

Charter Member
Junkman said:
That must have been a long time ago. Now, ebay just is interested in the money, and they don't seem to care about much more.... Junk..

Junk, It was last summer I got this guy kicked.