• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

e-Bikes/Electric Bikes, are they really more dangerous than Motorcycles?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Anyone have one of these e-Bikes? I sort of figured they were like a cross between an electric scooter & a traditional bike.

Stumbled across this video, never really gave the safety concerns about e-Bikes much thought.

With my daughter now living in Chicago I offered to buy her an e-Bike, figured should couldn't get in much trouble with it, figured it would be safe and convenient for her to use too. Maybe I was wrong about these things?

Last edited:

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Depending on where you live some e-bikes are supposed to be speed limited.

Ultimately, it all comes down to the driver/rider. Go too fast, don't follow the rules of the road, don't have common sense - then you will probably get in trouble.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Depending on where you live some e-bikes are supposed to be speed limited.

Ultimately, it all comes down to the driver/rider. Go too fast, don't follow the rules of the road, don't have common sense - then you will probably get in trouble.
True most of the time ... but then there are the drivers of cars or trucks oblivious to the rest of the world and end up hitting or running over two wheeled vehicles. I would not want my daughter on one of those in Chicago or any bigger city.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Chicago? I wouldn't want to be on a bike there. A car is much safer IMHO. Also more comfortable due to cold, snow and rain.

Reactions: Doc

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
All bikes and their riders take a huge risk when sharing the road with cars. It's just physics and the stupidity of humans. I know a guy that got crushed on his motorbike while stopped at an intersection. Probably would have been worse on a bike or e-bike.

Any time you ride a bike on a shared road you are putting your life at risk. Some cities these days have done a decent job of providing bike lanes and routes but that still doesn't really prevent the lowest common denominator (stupid people) from coming into play.

Reactions: Doc

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I notice Arnold Shwarze-whiner is always riding a big e-bike when his publicist promotes him in the rag web sites. I think e-bikes are basically cheating yourself from getting real (and needed) exercise.