• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Drifting along with the tumbling tumble weeds

Cowboyjg

Country Club Member
Site Supporter
There is an old cowboy who lives on the range. his horse and his cattle are his only companion. He works in the saddle and he sleeps in the canyon, waiting for summer his pastures to change.

And as the moon rises he sits by his fire. Thinking 'bout women and glasses of beer. He closes his eyes as the doggies retire and sings out a song that is soft but it's clear, as if maybe someone could hear....

Howdy all, it's another fun filled night at the ol' apartment complex. These last few weeks on the road have me realizing how much I've missed the sounds of domestic disagreements and thundering hooves up and down the staircase till near midnight.

In truth I thought I take a few moments to share some really great moments this cowpoke has had during his travels.

One in particular was during my trip to the Minneapolis-St.Paul Air Reserve Station. I was dispatched to inspect the work of several contractors we have on the base. It also provided an opportunity break bread and share a brew with our illustrious Murph...aka thcri. Now I will apologize up front for the lack of photos, but if you give me a few days I should have them resized to fit. Back to Murph....Sir it was a true pleasure. I think we even had a few things in common. We discussed the plight of this big blue marble we call home and shared stories of our loved ones. You're a good fella.

After Minnesota it was off for some more in-progress inspections in Springfield Mass, home of the Basketball Hall of Fame and many revolutionary war landmarks. Also, home to the flying 439th Airlift Wing and the C-5 Galaxy. What a monster of an aircraft. Westover Air Reserve Base in Chicopee is situated among some pretty nice country.

The weekend in between and after allowed for few days at the farm. Nothing like jamming 5 days of work into two days (the wife was on a redecorating mission). While taking a small break on the front porch, my loud mouth chickensh.... dog starts barking at the property gate from 50 ft away. So I'm stareing trying to see what she's barking at. Then...I see this little head. No bigger than a tangello peering around the gate post.

It's a Calico Kitten. After assessing that my dog was all hot air it came hopping across the lawn right up onto the porch and proceeded to rub itself on my shoe and pant leg. Needless to say that melted the wifes heart (despite her allergy to cats). The cat was pretty banged up. Scratches, cuts, a little blood and mangled wiskers from where it kissed the asphalt after being thrown from a moving car (that's our belief anyway).

So we proceeded to inspect the cat to find that it was obviously malnourshed and shaken up. We set it up on the porch in a cardboard box with a towel for a bed and gave it something to eat and drink. The idea is that it survives and takes up residence in the barn. Every farm needs a barn cat.

We convinced our neighbor to come by and feed it everyday while we're gone between trips. He's an older fella who's wife passed back in January and seemed excited to help. So we left Scratches in good hands with Mr. Carter. Yes, Scratches.

We wondered if the cat would still be alive when we got back this past weekend. She was i pretty bad shape. Well when we cam back this past weekend Low and behold there's Scratches sitting on the porch like she owned the damn place. (I wouldn't mind a little help with the payment...lol) She put on weight and seemed happy and playful and even seemed to remember us. Mr Carter seemed to have a little kick in his step too.

All in all a pretty neat last few weeks. Thanks Murph, Thanks Scratches, Thanks Mr Carter, Thanks Doc and all you folks at FF.

.....Goodnight you moonlight ladies. Rock-a-bye sweet baby James. Deep greens and blues are the colors I choose, won't you let me go down in my dreams...and rock-a-by sweet baby James

(One of my favorite JT tunes)

Cowboyjg

Country Club Member
Site Supporter
Ok....here are some of the photos I mentioned.

the first are the cat photos followed by the spoiled child followed by a couple of shots at the farm and last but certainly not least our buddy Murph and some schlub he was generous enough to have dinner with. Yes Murph, I am posting the picture....:doh:

Oh, BTW No comments about the sign and I'm sorry for the glare off the the head of the fella in the background.

Attachments

• scratches 2.jpg
    scratches 2.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 97
  • Scratches 3.jpg
    Scratches 3.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 97
  • dopey.jpg
    dopey.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 95
  • farmmountain.jpg
    farmmountain.jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 104
  • farmchicken.jpg
    farmchicken.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 93
  • CowboyMurph.jpg
    CowboyMurph.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 96

Cowboyjg

Country Club Member
Site Supporter
I have one more photo. It's of a sampling of the wild blackberries that occupy one of the hills at the farm. I didn't get a chance to bush hog it this year and the berries have sprung up everywhere. Many are kinda puney but so far I've scavanged about 8 cups of some pretty healthy sized morsels. I'd show a picture of the cobbler but it dissappeared...:whistling: I plan on making another this weekend. If the pie thief can keep his mits off for half a second I'll take a pic of it.

Attachments

• berrys1.jpg
    berrys1.jpg
    285.2 KB · Views: 89

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'd like to hug those animals :)
That includes the kitty and spoiled child too! :smile:

.... :confused: And what about the guys in the last pic PG? Don't want to leave them out do ya? :yankchain: :poke:

Good posts Cowboy. That is one of my favorite JT tunes also. I liked the way you mingled it to start and end your post. :thumb: :D

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
And I was waiting for someone to comment that photos 1-3 were Cowboy and Murph, respectively! :poke:

Great post and photos Cowboy! Looks like you're in the middle of some beautiful territory too.

benspawpaw

dang cowboy, what a view.right at the base of the mountains.i have seen many of tenn.mtns from the seat of a crotchrocket. they, like my northwest georgia mtns. are truly a gift to us from god. which mtn are you on?

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
.... :confused: And what about the guys in the last pic PG? Don't want to leave them out do ya? :yankchain: :poke:
ha!
If I do say so myself, Murph is a total hunk:smile:
Gosh, am I permitted to say such things about a married gent?
Lovely smile and eyes Steve. :wink:

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
last but certainly not least our buddy Murph and some schlub he was generous enough to have dinner with. Yes Murph, I am posting the picture....:doh:

Dang Cowboy I was hoping you would not post that. :hammer::hammer: You did warn though didn't you? :yum: It was a great time and enjoyed it a lot. I wished I would have had time to take you down to downtown St Paul to show you all of the large old houses. If the wife's family wasn't around I sure would have. I think you would have liked the architecture of most of them. I have some information to get to you yet and will soon. The last two weeks I have not been around much due to work.

ha!
If I do say so myself, Murph is a total hunk:smile:
Gosh, am I permitted to say such things about a married gent?
Lovely smile and eyes Steve. :wink:

PG I will take all the comments I can get. At my age they don't come to often any more :pat: Thanks.