• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Dogs in schools

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Release the hounds. Maybe if more schools did this there would less problems in society. When teens go outside to light a dubie between periods there's obviously a problem.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
So you think the kids won't figure a way to screw w//disable the dogs' nose.
Mike

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
And who is going to pay for the dog and it's handler?? I hope you understand how much these canine cops cost... 10's of thousands of $$$$ I am not sure we have. Other wise I am on board with this. But for sniffing out contraband only. I don't think they should be used to chse down crimminals. This puts the dog at risk, and we pay real people wearing uniforms for this. In Ames Ia this week the cops shot and killed a 19 yr old who refused to shut off his engine once the cops had him boxed in. I hope they hang that cop, but I fear they will let it slide... I digressssss

Regards, Kirk

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
And who is going to pay for the dog and it's handler?? I hope you understand how much these canine cops cost... 10's of thousands of $$$$ I am not sure we have. Other wise I am on board with this. But for sniffing out contraband only. I don't think they should be used to chse down crimminals. This puts the dog at risk, and we pay real people wearing uniforms for this. In Ames Ia this week the cops shot and killed a 19 yr old who refused to shut off his engine once the cops had him boxed in. I hope they hang that cop, but I fear they will let it slide... I digressssss

Regards, Kirk
A trained police officer costs in excess of $100,000 per year. That's before the Unions get them a better contract.

Dogs are far cheaper and glad to do it. They will do the work lazy school administrators just won't do.:whistling:

I'm with Cletis on this one.

Cletis

"So you think the kids won't figure a way to screw w//disable the dogs' nose.
Mike "

Yep, you know they will try but these dogs are fairly sharp and professional adult criminals still have a problem fooling them. We have drugs transported over our hwys all the time and the dogs catch a heck of a lot of it now. U think these professionals don't try to trick the dogs?

Who will pay the 10-15k for a dog? Bet I'd be on board to make a donation to help.
Town where I live (pop 4500) there are two cops patrolling the halls of the schools daily to show a presence ( which I am fine with nowadays that many shit ass parents are worthless), with the trained dogs and making sure the kids understand what the dogs are capable of, the is no way the contraband wouldn't lessen dramatically. I'm not saying taking anyone's rights away but even random "dog not cop" searches of kids vehicles would not bother me as long as it's done right.

Cletis

Cletis

Chase down criminals!

Yeah right. U must much healthier, fit cops where you live than where I live!

Maybe a doughnut in the criminals back pocket would help!!!!!

I might be exaggerating just a bit!

Cletis

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
lots of agency's use dogs that use their nose, but are not attack dog's I think it's a good idea. if a dog alerts notify le's and cuff and stuff the offender. I don't think you need a full on k-9 cop but a good sniffing dog and handler would be a good idea.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
"So you think the kids won't figure a way to screw w//disable the dogs' nose.
Mike "

Yep, you know they will try but these dogs are fairly sharp and professional adult criminals still have a problem fooling them. We have drugs transported over our hwys all the time and the dogs catch a heck of a lot of it now. U think these professionals don't try to trick the dogs?

Who will pay the 10-15k for a dog? Bet I'd be on board to make a donation to help.
Town where I live (pop 4500) there are two cops patrolling the halls of the schools daily to show a presence ( which I am fine with nowadays that many shit ass parents are worthless), with the trained dogs and making sure the kids understand what the dogs are capable of, the is no way the contraband wouldn't lessen dramatically. I'm not saying taking anyone's rights away but even random "dog not cop" searches of kids vehicles would not bother me as long as it's done right.

Cletis
The dogs will make the on board police that much more effective. They need probable cause to seach a locker or a private car. Cops don't smell as good a dogs. So, once the canine gets exited, they have that probable cause.

The result is, one; better enforcement, and two, the kids will be less likely to bring contraband to school;

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The dogs will make the on board police that much more effective. They need probable cause to seach a locker or a private car. Cops don't smell as good a dogs. So, once the canine gets exited, they have that probable cause.

The result is, one; better enforcement, and two, the kids will be less likely to bring contraband to school;

Agreed. But I have to wonder if just occasional random searches would not be just as effective and cost less in time and $$$ at the same time. This is what is done here in my area. it seems to work, but how can one be sure?? I do know that they don't often find anything when they do the searches.....

Regards, Kirk

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
They need probable cause to seach a locker or a private car. Cops don't smell as good a dogs. So, once the canine gets exited, they have that probable cause.

Exactly right unless, like a guy I know, who had his car illegally searched by police while driving through Houston in the early hours of the morning. When he refused to give them permission to search his vehicle they called in for a K9 unit. When the handler and dog arrived they informed him that the dog gave every indication that there were drugs in the car. He said that he had to burst out laughing because the dog was laying on the ground by his back wheel with his head on his paws. They didn't find anything but he had no chance of taking them to court because as he put it, "How do you cross examine a dog on the stand". He was one pissed little puppy though because he missed his helicopter flight offshore.

So, the idea may appear to be a good one but it has a lot of potential for abuse.

Cletis

Regardless, you will never get rid of the abuse. Some people are just that way. It's here where I live and there will always be cops that try to take advantage.

I am curious though why would anyone refuse to have a vehicle searched if they have nothing to hide and are in a hurry anyway? As long as the vehicle is not damaged why the heck would you care for them to look in the glove box, trunk and under the seats. What else is left?

Myself, I'd say have at it but watch the pistol under that seat, the one in the glove box, the one sitting on the seat and hand me that French fry I dropped between the sits a while ago. I'm still a bit hungry!

Cletis

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Agreed. But I have to wonder if just occasional random searches would not be just as effective and cost less in time and $$$ at the same time. This is what is done here in my area. it seems to work, but how can one be sure?? I do know that they don't often find anything when they do the searches.....

Regards, Kirk
That's what I was going to suggest, occasional searches of all schools. Totally random search schedule would dissuade kids and cost a lot less.

Cletis

Last place I worked had a totally random drug test for each store at each location. I was hit one time in 18 1/2 yrs. 30 employees when I started there and about 150 when I left. Only one time and that was after about 15 yrs of being there.

Cletis

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
If you think that you can fool a dogs nose by using something to cover up the scent, then, keep this in mind. When your wife makes stew, she puts in meat, carrots, potatoes, greens, and spices. After it all cooks down for 12 hours, all you smell is the stew. The dog on the other hand can smell every one of the ingredients in the stew, and tell which is which. If your dog doesn't like carrots, no matter how hard you try to hide them in his food, he will smell them, and pick them out or eat around them. This is why it is so hard to give a dog pills. They can smell the ingredients of the pills, and will remember the smell for the rest of their lives. This is how drug dogs find the drugs that are hidden so well in the cars crossing the border. Some dogs are better at sniffing than others, but they all have the capability when properly trained.
You won't get anything past this guy... He was really bummed out when the Government was shut down, and really pissed, when he didn't get his back pay as promised..

Attachments

• ferry1.jpg
    ferry1.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 102
  • ferry2.jpg
    ferry2.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 100

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Regardless, you will never get rid of the abuse. Some people are just that way. It's here where I live and there will always be cops that try to take advantage.

I am curious though why would anyone refuse to have a vehicle searched if they have nothing to hide and are in a hurry anyway? As long as the vehicle is not damaged why the heck would you care for them to look in the glove box, trunk and under the seats. What else is left?

Myself, I'd say have at it but watch the pistol under that seat, the one in the glove box, the one sitting on the seat and hand me that French fry I dropped between the sits a while ago. I'm still a bit hungry!

Cletis

I should have mentioned that he was a black guy driving a black Porche 911. He eventually got rid of the car because he got tired of being hauled over by the cops for any trumped up excuse especially late at night. He said that their thought process was, "Black guy driving flash car late at night. He's either dealing or looking for one. Let's pull him over and see". I guess he just got pissed off that night.