• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Differential R&P Design for Helix Angle

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
Just thinking about some differential specs and design data.
Looking at the helix angle of the pinion (and of course negative corresponding ring tooth angle/twist), there are a couple of benefits to increased angle/twist... decreased noise and also length along which force would be transferred between teeth of R&P. Down side to increased angle would be associated thrust along the length of the pinion gear and hence increased force/wear of components along the shaft length.
So, with that, does anyone have experience with taking the same size R&P and varying that angle to see how wear patterns change on the teeth themselves? ie, if a person were to have one end of the spectrum being 0 angle like straight-cut gears vs. the other end of the spectrum where helical angle would be large, and hence the gear would appear to have a high-degree of twist to it... and how this changes 'real-world' application? ie, more/less failures and/or wear in either instance (of the gears themselves)?
Also the effect on speed of rotation from heat/etc? I could see situations where friction/contact would vary to differing degrees and hence vary heat generation... with neither straight cut / helical being the one 'no-brainer'. Remove mechanical noise from the 'give-a-hoot' equation. :glare:

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Just thinking about some differential specs and design data.
Looking at the helix angle of the pinion (and of course negative corresponding ring tooth angle/twist), there are a couple of benefits to increased angle/twist... decreased noise and also length along which force would be transferred between teeth of R&P. Down side to increased angle would be associated thrust along the length of the pinion gear and hence increased force/wear of components along the shaft length.
So, with that, does anyone have experience with taking the same size R&P and varying that angle to see how wear patterns change on the teeth themselves? ie, if a person were to have one end of the spectrum being 0 angle like straight-cut gears vs. the other end of the spectrum where helical angle would be large, and hence the gear would appear to have a high-degree of twist to it... and how this changes 'real-world' application? ie, more/less failures and/or wear in either instance (of the gears themselves)?
Also the effect on speed of rotation from heat/etc? I could see situations where friction/contact would vary to differing degrees and hence vary heat generation... with neither straight cut / helical being the one 'no-brainer'. Remove mechanical noise from the 'give-a-hoot' equation. :glare:

work getting slower? or is your brain working overtime? my question is why change what has worked for years and years most all rings are right hand and pinions being left handed, and if you flip them over when you put your differential back in they make it have one forward speed and several reverse.

now mix yourself a drink sit back in the lazyboy, kick your feet up and relax.:wink:

the old trucker

10-4 on that Boggie !!! The old bombardier like I have works the same way except that my motor & trans is turned around. Tell Mainer to sit back, relax & forget the drink. Sounds like he's had enough already !!! Just joking Mainer my friend....

OT.

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
Yea, I think it's time to go back to solving more of life's real problems... like how to get that brass pole secured in the back of the 601 w/o any screws/holes to mess up the historical state of the 10-pass cabin!?!? ;) Yea, much better problem to solve. ;)
Although, I imagine I could make something up later... "Yea, you see thems holes? Uh-huh, thems holes is big-history right thar! :bsflag2: That's right---50-cal :gun2:used to be mounted right on top and oooooh-weeee! was she :bunnies:a looker!" :w00t2::yum::brows: Yea, that feels much better than helical angles :shifty: although, angles ain't none to be scoffed at neither!

:halo: