• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Diesel fuel additives

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Re. additives in general, does it hurt to add too much? I have some equipment that I "think" I added some but don't recall. I wouldn't mind adding more to be sure if it won't hurt anything.

Trakternut

you really can't add too much, it's just that after a certain point, you're wasting it because with most additives, more is not always better. However, if you're adding some just to be sure you've got some in there, you'll only be out the amount you added the second time
Scheaffers makes a good fuel additive also. I don't think it's got antigel qualities, but it helps engines run smoother and fire cooler.

RoadKing

Silver Member
Site Supporter
This is what I use, Maybe overkill but my Kubota cost me and dealers don't work free. This stuff takes care of all potential deisel fuel problems. So far so good.

Algae-X AFC 805

Attachments

• AFC-705_805-spec-sheet.pdf
    80.7 KB · Views: 142

MadReferee

B_Skurka said:
The problem with the new diesel fuel requirements is that it does not lubricate as well as the old stuff.
Bull Crap.

According to the Chevron Diesel website both the existing LSD fuel and the new ULSD meet or exceed the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) lubricity specification defined in ASTM D975 for all diesel fuels and this standard went into effect January 1, 2005. This standard was designed specifically to insure that all fuels had the same lubricity since the process of removing sulphur for ULSD also removes naturally occurring lubricity agents in the fuel. In order for ULSD fuel to meet this specification, the refineries have blended in additional additives.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Mad, my statement was made as a direct result of what 2 different truck manufacturers told me. They were very specific. GMC (selling trucks with a Cat engine) and International both gave me the same story. Further, I was just in Vegas for business meetings at a Convenience Petroleum show, that same story is commonly stated by people in the industry. I suppose it is an urban mith?

Now its possible Chevron fuel adds an additive? I honestly don't know, we don't have Chevron here in the midwest.

HGM

I believe overall you are right Bob.. However, like Mad said the fuel refineries are compensating for this issue by adding a lubricity additives.. No worries..... BTW, I wouldnt take anything a salesman tells you to be fact, sorry, just a learned instinct as they only know the sales end and typicaly nothing mechanical.....

MadReferee

From what information I have managed to glean from many sources including the Clean Diesel Fuel Alliance, every refinery produces product that meets or exceeds the ASTM specification. In fact over on the other board one member who works at a refinery said they have been addiding additives to ULSD since they started making it, just to meet the spec.

Viking

Site Supporter
I have used Power Service Diesel Kleen (Ssilver bottle) and Diesel Supplement (white bottle) for over 30k miles in my Duramax Diesel truck. At every fuel filter change my mechanic comments how clean everything looks. I guess it's working out for me. I use the JD diesel fuel conditioner in my new JD 2320. I'll probably switch to Power Service when I run out of the JD fuel conditioner.

HGM

Viking said:
I use the JD diesel fuel conditioner in my new JD 2320. .

The interesting thing about the JD additive(if its the same one I encountered), its got a yellow hue to it.. I was out testing a truck one day and we decided a fuel sample was in order.. We took a sample in the "standard" styrafoam cup to check for contamination.. It seemed to be fine except for an odd yellow tint.. when we got to looking at it and poured it out of the cup, the normal diesel, blueish tint appeared, leaving the yellow dye to stain the cup.... Upon speaking with the customer, we found out that he was using JD fuel conditioner.. Apparently it's dyed in JD yellow to id it..

Cityboy

Banned
I've never used any fuel additive and have never had a problem. Reading this thread, I'm starting to wonder if I should start using them. My JD 5205 starts immediately every time, even in the cold, which isn't all that cold in central Georgia usually.

Greg - What do you suggest with my 6.0 PS Excursion? Do you think diesel additives will prevent problems down the road?? :confused2: I always look for high-volume diesel fuel stations for my PS fuel and change the FF's every 15k and drain the fuel/water separator every 5k.

HGM

Cityboy said:
Greg - What do you suggest with my 6.0 PS Excursion? Do you think diesel additives will prevent problems down the road?? :confused2: I always look for high-volume diesel fuel stations for my PS fuel and change the FF's every 15k and drain the fuel/water separator every 5k.

I'm not typicaly a big "snake oil" believer, but a cetane enhancer does work... I've used Power Services and had good results(including 1.5mpg increase).. I highly recomend the Motorcraft fuel additive in your truck though(PS wont hurt, Stanadyne and Raycore are also excellent).. We have seen really good results using it to reduce carbon in the intake and EGR too(but with the new fuel and not idling excessively, it shouldnt be too bad anyhow).. Its about $7 per bottle(that treats 120gal), split that $7 among 3 tanks and it pays for itself easily in fuel economy if you get the same results I did.. Either way its a simple added precaution that will help to keep the engine clean and injectors lubricated.. Good job on the fuel filters:a1: , thats something allot of people neglect, then they end up with failing injectors:pat: and call the product junk.. Also, what year is your truck? If its an '05 or '06 it has an hour meter on the odometer, make sure you change your oil with the hrs(200max) in mind too(big probelm with fleets) although you shouldnt get there before you reach 3-5,000 for the change.. Keep up with the maintenance and you should be good, and try that additive to see what your results are(I bet you see a difference in fuel economy, noise, and maybe performance).. Let me know if you do have any issues though and I'll see if I cant help, I know the dealers in your area pretty well..;)

Viking

Site Supporter
The added lubricity that an additive like Power Service will provide is probably a good thing especially with the new Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel fuel.

HGM

Viking said:
The added lubricity that an additive like Power Service will provide is probably a good thing especially with the new Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel fuel.

Yep, the only thing I would caution against is use in an '07 emmisioned engine.. It might actually be a contaminant that would harm the particulate filters.. I know we had a stop sale on all diesel additives untill labels stating "not for use in '07 engines" was added to the bottles..

mtncrawler

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't think you're getting any added lubricity out of Power Service. It boosts Cetane and cleans injectors but it is basicly paint thinner. Makes em run good though.