• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Dargo

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Hi Brent, Just wanted you to know that I've been thinking about your grandmother and you. My last grandmother passed 4 years ago at 94. She didn't deserve to go the way she did. They found out she had an intestinal blockage, and had to have surgery. She never came around again for about a week. She was kept on a mophine drip. I managed to get to see her just before she passed. In fact as soon as I got home that night, the phone was ringing. She passed within minutes after my daughter and I had left.

I guess what I'm saying, I can relate to what you're going through at this time. It is by no means fun. But just think of the things she has seen, the things she has done, how about her cooking? No one cooks as good as grandma.

You know there's a time to let go, no matter how it may hurt. I'm still feeling like that after 4 years. Grandma's are VERY special people to their families. Your not alone here.

Take it easy Brent, and remember it takes time, it becomes bearable after a while.
johnday

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks guys. I know it's 'just' my grandmother, but there are always special things with someone. My parents were, well, extremely young when I was born and she pretty well raised me for my first several years. As I know, I should feel lucky to have had all four of my grandparents live until I was in my mid 40's. After being there late yesterday, the end will be soon. Now I just don't know how to plan my work this week.

This site shows what I think is a good slice of America. People do still care about their pets. It does hurt a grown man when his dog dies, friends they have never met offer their condolence and they know the feeling. People still honor and respect our military. People still show respect to someone when they have a family member pass away. If someone needs help or advice on a subject, people pitch in. All of this, and yet there doesn't have to be censorship and big brother watching and editing your every typed word. Yes, this is a good slice of what America is.

HGM

Dargo said:
This site shows what I think is a good slice of America. People do still care about their pets. It does hurt a grown man when his dog dies, friends they have never met offer their condolence and they know the feeling. People still honor and respect our military. People still show respect to someone when they have a family member pass away. If someone needs help or advice on a subject, people pitch in. All of this, and yet there doesn't have to be censorship and big brother watching and editing your every typed word. Yes, this is a good slice of what America is.

I think you nailed it there.....

Sorry to hear about your grandmother...My grandparents practicaly raised me too, so I know its tough... I learned allot when my grandparents died, my last grandfather is just hangin in there with alzhiemers while we all await the dreaded phone call.. Like I have said in the past, I've come to realize that its usually for the best and the best we can do is accept it with the peice of mind that they arent suffering anymore and keep them alive with the good memories you cherrish..

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Including Grandparents and Step-Grandparents, I lost my last one in 1996. My wife just lost her Grandmother this year and it was terrible for her. But she has somehow accepted it a lot better than I ever thought she would have. They used to talk every night on the phone up until 3 or 4 days before her passing. I used to tease her that was MY Grandma, not hers. And Grandma would agree with me (as she winked at me).

Brent we all know how you're feeling and what you're going through.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Just thought you'd all like to know that I received the inevitable news from Brent this evening. His grandmother died peacefully this afternoon surrounded by family. I'm sorry that I can't provide any details of the services, and we shouldn't really expect to see him here for a while. But I'm sure that if anyone wants to leave their thoughts for him, here, or in a PM, he will get your thoughts in due time.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
My deepest sympathies goes out to Brent and his family. I've been there.

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Brent, my sympaties to you.

My Grandmother passed in what sounds like similar circumstances to yours a couple months ago. The better you know them the harder it is.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Brent,

You were really lucky to have her around for so long. Both my Grandmothers passed away in my twenties.

Think of the good things.

PB

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Brent,

I am truly sorry to hear of the passing of your grandmother. :(

I am pleased to hear that she passed peacefully and with family near as that's the best way.

As already mentioned by previous posters, cherish the pleasant thoughts of her during your time together.

Brian

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks again guys. I really do appreciate the kind words and thoughts. All arrangements are made now and I will spend tomorrow at the showing all day and the funeral on Friday. Everyone seems to be somewhat better today. For her to lived 98 years and to have been married 71 years is pretty amazing in itself. Also, I would like to go in my own home in my own bed when it's my time. Hopefully when that time comes I too can be at peace knowing that all things I wanted in life were accomplished and be ready to go to that next step without fear or reservation.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well said Brent. I would hope / pray for the same also.
My wife's 2nd cousin pasted on a week ago. At the showing they had the photos & highlights of her life (like normal), but they also had a screen projection of other photos. It sure helped to remember the good things rather than dwell on the passing.

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Thinking of you at this sad time. My grandmother died when I was in my teens and I still miss her to this day, grandmothers are very special.

jakki

My deepest sympathies Brent.

I lived with my grandma the last three years of her life and was devastated when she passed....Time heals however, and all the good memories keep her alive in my heart. I still miss her, though.

...............jak

GaryE

Brent,

I am sorry to hear about your grandmother. It is hard when you lose those “special” people in your life.

Take care,

Gary