• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Corona Virus spreading ... US official says no need to worry

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Actually, I think that I already have a "vaccine passport". I have a card from the hospital that administered the shots that shows the location, date and time, the maker of the vaccine, and other relevant data. It's filed away somewhere but it should satisfy anyone interested in such information. Other than that there is no way that I am going to carry an official vaccine passport. Screw them.
The vaccine passport that they are referring to is some sort of ELECTRONIC passport that would be on your smartphone. It would be a unique Quick Scan code, you would display it to gain entry to restaurants, sporting events, airlines, etc. Basically in order to live your life again you would be forced to walk around and have your code scanned by any private business or public entity that chooses to require it.

It would be updatable with OTHER medical information, additional vaccines, etc.

Currently several major air carriers are working on a scheme like this, as is the state of New York, as is the whole European Union and many others. Google and all the big players in Silicone Valley are working on their own schemes too.

The paper card, issued by the CDS, is too easy to fake. Many nurses have been caught stealing blank cards and filling them out falsely. That is not the vaccine passport to which is commonly referred when the term is used.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Vaccine passports are racist. How are the "underprivileged" expected to be able to have these when they can't even figure out how to get government issued ID.
Texas & Florida both have Executive Orders, issued by their governors, preventing mandatory "vaccine passports" within their borders.

Legislatures in Indiana and a handful of other "red" states are moving on laws to prevent a mandatory "vaccine passport" within their borders. Laws are harder to change than Executive Orders, but also harder to implement, so there are advantages and disadvantages to this approach.

New York State already has its own state issued vaccine passport. There are reports of failure and fraud already.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Today is the day that INDIANA colleges and universities will begin to vaccinate their students.

The State of Indiana sent vaccines, of sufficient quantities to vaccinate all students + staff, to nearly all (perhaps all) colleges and universities in the state. At least to the campuses that have residence units where the students primarily live on/near campus. I'm not sure if they are also vaccinating at community colleges other than the state operated community colleges.

Most of the schools are making this optional (for now). Several colleges and universities are making it MANDATORY for students to return to campus NEXT SEMESTER but for now the vaccines are not required.

Indiana sent the PFIZER vaccine to these universities as that vaccine is approved for students aged 16 and older.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Was listening to the news on the radio a little while ago. Report said some people are getting the COVID fully vaccinated. Fauci said they must have compromised immune systems. Thats classic, it just doesn't get any better:ROFLMAO:

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Was listening to the news on the radio a little while ago. Report said some people are getting the COVID fully vaccinated. Fauci said they must have compromised immune systems. Thats classic, it just doesn't get any better:ROFLMAO:
We had a woman pass from complications of testing positive for covid after she'd already had it last year, AND she had received both Moderna vaccines.
She did not pass at our facility, but at the hospital in Toledo. Last week.
Looks like we're back to all social distancing, still in masks, blah blah blah..
Nothing is changing.
We're basically the same as Michigan.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

The vaccines claim to be roughly 70% to 95% effective.

So it is actually logical that SOME people who are vaccinated with get covid. That should NOT be a surprise to anyone. But look at the data. Seriously look at the actual data. There are literally over 100,000,000 million people fully vaccinated and a couple hundred fully vaccinated got Covid. Of those couple hundred who got covid, only a couple dozen got sick enough to end up in the hospital.

Do the math, those are great odds.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
USA may be close to reaching all the people who actually WANT the vaccine. But once we meet demand, will we have administered enough to reach "herd immunity" in the population?

Herd immunity is estimated to be about 80% of the population as either recovered from Covid -or- immunized with the vaccine. Originally Dr Fauci said 'herd' would be about 70%, but now the more contagious variants have taken over and more reliable scientists (who are less political than Fauci) suggest that herd is roughly 80% of the population. The combined immunized & recovered in the US population is not even close to 70%.

America may be close to hitting a vaccine wall

There are growing signs that parts of the country may be close to meeting demand for the coronavirus vaccine — well before the U.S. has reached herd immunity.
Why it matters: For the last few months, the primary focus of the U.S. has been getting shots to everyone who wants them, as quickly as possible. Soon, that focus will abruptly shift to convincing holdouts to get vaccinated.
State of play: Red states in the South are administering the lowest portion of the vaccine doses that they receive from the federal government — a sign of low demand, slow public health systems, or both.
  • The most vaccine-reluctant Americans are white Republicans, polling has found.
By the numbers: On average, states have administered 76% of the doses they've received from the federal government. New Hampshire has administered the largest share of all states, at 89.8%, while Alabama has administered the smallest — only 61.4% of its doses.
Driving the news: An analysis released by Surgo Ventures yesterday concluded that "the supply-demand shift for the vaccine will happen earlier than expected — as early as the end of April — and before the nation reaches the 70-90% threshold for achieving herd immunity."
  • It released a survey finding that 59% of U.S. adults say they're either already vaccinated, or plan to be as soon as the shot is made available to them. At the current U.S. vaccination rate, all of those vaccine-enthusiastic adults could be inoculated by the end of April.
  • Vaccination rates will then slow, and Surgo's projections show that only around 52% of Americans will be vaccinated by July. When combined with people who have already been infected, the immunity rate overall may be around 65% by then — still not high enough for herd immunity.
What they're saying: “This analysis shows that despite the general vaccine enthusiasm we are seeing now in the United States, things are going to get really difficult really soon,” said Sema Sgaier, Surgo's CEO.
  • “Without significant investment in addressing people’s barriers and making vaccines available to those below 18, reaching herd immunity will be a real challenge.
A separate survey of rural Americans, released by KFF this morning, found that while they're more likely to have already been vaccinated than urban and suburban Americans, there are fewer remaining rural residents who are eager to get their shots.
  • 39% have already gotten at least one dose of the vaccine, 16% say they'll get it as soon as possible, and 15% said they want to "wait and see."
  • Another 9% said they'll only get vaccinated if required, and 21% said they definitely won't. In suburban areas, a combined 21% said they were vaccine resistant, and only a combined 16% of urban residents said the same.
  • Among rural residents who said they definitely won't get vaccinated, almost three-quarters were Republicans or Republican-leaning, and 41% were white Evangelical Christians.
The bottom line: Rural, Republican-heavy states are likely blowing through their vaccine-eager populations.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
"The bottom line: Rural, Republican-heavy states are likely blowing through their vaccine-eager populations."

That's what we are starting to see here in East Texas.

I was talking to the manager of our CVS pharmacy and she said that when they started administering the vaccine they had a crazy three weeks followed by another crazy three weeks as people got their second shots but since then the number of people has dwindled to the point that they are taking walk-ins and anyone 16+ years old without an appointment.

I don't know if that means we are reaching a vaccine saturation point where everyone who wants the vaccine has pretty much got it. Most of the older people that I know have been vaccinated along with a lot of middle aged people. Some reckon that since they have already had COVID and recovered that they don't need the vaccine. I suppose that argument has some merit, I'm just not sure how much. I still know a few who refuse to get the shots and almost always because they don't want the Government telling them what they should and shouldn't do.

Ceee

Site Supporter
they are taking walk-ins and anyone 16+ years old without an appointment.
I think a lot of people just don't know that yet or just can't find a walk-in place. I just looked in my area, and the major hubs still say "no walk ins."

Rural, Republican-heavy states are likely blowing through their vaccine-eager populations.
If they would handle the covid vaccines like they do the flu shot where you can just walk in and get it when it's convenient, without having to make an appt for a specific day/time, then I think more vaccines would be administered. Hopefully, we're going to be moving toward that as more vaccines are available and more restrictions are lifted.

A lot of people just don't want to jump through all those hoops to make an online appt, some may not have internet access, and many probably just don't want to put all their personal info out there on the internet. A lot of people think the internet is evil.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter

So it is actually logical that SOME people who are vaccinated with get covid. That should NOT be a surprise to anyone. But look at the data. Seriously look at the actual data. There are literally over 100,000,000 million people fully vaccinated and a couple hundred fully vaccinated got Covid. Of those couple hundred who got covid, only a couple dozen got sick enough to end up in the hospital

So it is actually logical that SOME people who are vaccinated with get covid. That should NOT be a surprise to anyone. But look at the data. Seriously look at the actual data. There are literally over 100,000,000 million people fully vaccinated and a couple hundred fully vaccinated got Covid. Of those couple hundred who got covid, only a couple dozen got sick enough to end up in the hospital.

Do the math, those are great odds.
The way they made it sound it isn't just a couple hundred, we will see.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The way they made it sound it isn't just a couple hundred, we will see.
I know there were some state numbers published and I've seen some other numbers published. I also have been watching the VAERS numbers (which are raw numbers and then later investigated) and depending upon which numbers you watch, and how closely you check the data, its pretty clear that the vaccines are actually very safe. Not sure how effective they actually are, but they seem to be pretty effective in the real world.

There are actually a couple thousand people who have died within a week of getting one of the Covid vaccines in the United States. And I limit my comments to the USA because there are only 3 legal vaccines in the USA, but there are a dozen international vaccines in use, so I'm only commenting on the 3 vaccines legal in the USA. The average age of those who died within a week of taking a vaccine is in the late 70's and most had serious underlying conditions. Most of those probably died from old age. Many were essentially on death's door and just happened to have been vaccinated within a few days prior to their death. Very unlikely that the vaccine was the cause of their deaths. But they were reported under the VAERS reporting system. Basically healthy people don't die from the vaccine, regardless of their age. Unhealthy people probably don't die from the vaccine either, they probably die because they were unhealthy and a small % happened to die shortly after taking a vaccine.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
I know there were some state numbers published and I've seen some other numbers published. I also have been watching the VAERS numbers (which are raw numbers and then later investigated) and depending upon which numbers you watch, and how closely you check the data, its pretty clear that the vaccines are actually very safe. Not sure how effective they actually are, but they seem to be pretty effective in the real world.

There are actually a couple thousand people who have died within a week of getting one of the Covid vaccines in the United States. And I limit my comments to the USA because there are only 3 legal vaccines in the USA, but there are a dozen international vaccines in use, so I'm only commenting on the 3 vaccines legal in the USA. The average age of those who died within a week of taking a vaccine is in the late 70's and most had serious underlying conditions. Most of those probably died from old age. Many were essentially on death's door and just happened to have been vaccinated within a few days prior to their death. Very unlikely that the vaccine was the cause of their deaths. But they were reported under the VAERS reporting system. Basically healthy people don't die from the vaccine, regardless of their age. Unhealthy people probably don't die from the vaccine either, they probably die because they were unhealthy and a small % happened to die shortly after taking a vaccine.
What I am thinking is folks with a good immune system may be getting COVID after being vaccinated also, but not being reported due to lack of symptoms. I think the experts need to do a control group of folks that are vaccinated ranging in health from good to bad, then expose them to the virus and see what happens.

Ceee

Site Supporter
I think the experts need to do a control group of folks that are vaccinated ranging in health from good to bad, then expose them to the virus and see what happens.
Something tells me that the experts might have a really hard time finding volunteers for that control group. My immune system seems to be pretty good and I'm in pretty good health, but I sure wouldn't volunteer for that study. Would you?

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Something tells me that the experts might have a really hard time finding volunteers for that control group. My immune system seems to be pretty good and I'm in pretty good health, but I sure wouldn't volunteer for that study. Would you?
I have not got the vaccine yet. Control groups like that are done all the time, I'm sure they get compensated well. Would you trust a condom that might work 70% of the time? If its actually 70% effective, I don't see the point of getting the vaccine. At 70% that would be a false sense of security, like guard rail on a mountain road made from paper.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
What I am thinking is folks with a good immune system may be getting COVID after being vaccinated also, but not being reported due to lack of symptoms. I think the experts need to do a control group of folks that are vaccinated ranging in health from good to bad, then expose them to the virus and see what happens.
This was already done in Israel.

Israel is probably the most highly vaccinated country, they are way ahead of the rest of the world. They have been studying vaccinated people, vaccinated infected people, etc.

Lots of good data is coming from Isreal.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have not got the vaccine yet. Control groups like that are done all the time, I'm sure they get compensated well. Would you trust a condom that might work 70% of the time? If its actually 70% effective, I don't see the point of getting the vaccine. At 70% that would be a false sense of security, like guard rail on a mountain road made from paper.
I think with the ORIGINAL STRAINS of Covid there is very little need for healthy people under the age of 55 to get vaccinated. Between ages 55-65 its a roll of the dice, but if you are healthy its not a bad gamble. If you have underlying conditions and you are of any age then it is probably worth getting the vaccine.

Simply taking Vitamin D, roughly 3000 to 5000 iu every single day appears to have a lot of scientific evidence that your risks will be minimized and it may actually help prevent you from getting the disease at all.

The problem is that the UK variant seems to be putting YOUNGER people (30 to 55 years old) into the hospital. The UK variant is currently the dominant variant in Michigan. It seems to be far more contagious and seems to also be somewhat more serious if you get it. Not sure how much. So data from 60, 90 and 120 days ago, which does not include the newer UK variant, may be out of date. Newer data from the past 60 days, which includes the UK variant data, is probably more reliable on the current state of the disease.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Seing as Ontario is currently in a lockdown stay at home order until at least the end of the month and stores can only sell "essential items" in person and clothing and masks are deemed as a non essential item, this guy took to the streets to protest. No clothes except a g string and no mask. The stores up here are only allowed to sell groceries and pharmaceutical products in person. Everything else has to be ordered online for curbside pickup.

FB_IMG_1618236732088.jpg

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Our daughter Melen (age 26) got her 2nd Pfizer dose on Thursday. Felt somewhat ill, with flu like symptoms all day Friday, headache most of the day on Saturday. Felt better on Sunday.

Dasha (age 19) got her 1st dose of Pfizer's vaccine on Sunday afternoon. Sunday evening she had a very sore arm. This morning she is feeling much better.

One of my high school fencers (age 17) got her first dose yesterday too. She only reports moderate soreness yesterday, feeling fine today.

Indiana seems to be moving along nicely with getting the doses out to people who want them. We now have a new "drive thru" vaccination site in the north part of our county that can accommodate a few thousand jabs a day.

Seems like a lot more people I talk to are now hesitating on getting the vaccine. Most of them are in the more rural areas where I live, but in the more suburban and city areas it seems to be that there are still plenty of people who want to get the vaccines. 2 basic arguments I hear are 1- I don't trust the government and 2- Covid is no big deal. Most of these people are in the low risk category, under the age of 55. I would not be surprised to find out if Indiana ends up being one of the states that has a high % of people who don't get vaccinated, especially in the more rural communities.

Last edited:

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Our daughter Melen (age 26) got her 2nd Pfizer dose on Thursday. Felt somewhat ill, with flu like symptoms all day Friday, headache most of the day on Saturday. Felt better on Sunday.

Dasha (age 19) got her 1st dose of Pfizer's vaccine on Sunday afternoon. Sunday evening she had a very sore arm. This morning she is feeling much better.

One of my high school fencers (age 17) got her first dose yesterday too. She only reports moderate soreness yesterday, feeling fine today.

Indiana seems to be moving along nicely with getting the doses out to people who want them. We now have a new "drive thru" vaccination site in the north part of our county that can accommodate a few thousand jabs a day.

Seems like a lot more people I talk to are now hesitating on getting the vaccine. Most of them are in the more rural areas where I live, but in the more suburban and city areas it seems to be that there are still plenty of people who want to get the vaccines. 2 basic arguments I hear are 1- I don't trust the government and 2- Covid is no big deal. Most of these people are in the low risk category, under the age of 55. I would not be surprised to find out if Indiana ends up being one of the states that has a high % of people who don't get vaccinated, especially in the more rural communities.
I have heard different reports on how long it will be effective before you would need a booster shot from 6 months to 2 years and everything in-between. What is your understanding?

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have heard different reports on how long it will be effective before you would need a booster shot from 6 months to 2 years and everything in-between. What is your understanding?
The vaccines have only existed for about 6 months so they cannot claim they are effective for longer than they have existed.

The only reason to get a booster now is to safeguard against the variants from Brazil and South Africa. The UK variant seems to be controlled, at least to some extent, by the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines. A future new variant could also require a booster.

But right now, if we set mutated variants aside, the vaccines are probably good for a few years. That is a guess. But it’s based on a lot of observations of other vaccines.

SOME of the variants may require a vaccine, but some may not really be much of an issue. Right now the UK mutation seems to be winning, the South African strain may be fading a bit. The Brazil strain is the dark horse right now.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
From the OP..................…;Corona Virus spreading ... US official says no need to worry

There is something fascinating about science.
One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.
Mark Twain

Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject,
and if they continue their investigations,
we shall soon know nothing at all about it.
Mark Twain​

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The FDA has recommended the single dose J&J vaccine be suspended.

All federal vaccination sites have stopped using it as of today. I know SOME (perhaps all) of the States are also suspending the use of the J&J vaccine. Its too bad, being that it only requires a single dose it was certainly easier and quicker to administer.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
The FDA has recommended the single dose J&J vaccine be suspended.

All federal vaccination sites have stopped using it as of today. I know SOME (perhaps all) of the States are also suspending the use of the J&J vaccine. Its too bad, being that it only requires a single dose it was certainly easier and quicker to administer.
I've a friend Traci who received the J&J.
So far she hasn't reported anything bad.
She probably won't.
It's been long enough.
Initially I was going to hold out for it, but happy I didn't now.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
From the OP..................…;Corona Virus spreading ... US official says no need to worry

There is something fascinating about science.
One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.
Mark Twain

Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject,
and if they continue their investigations,
we shall soon know nothing at all about it.
Mark Twain​
At first I didn't worry.
Then I got educated in real time on how horrible covid was (17+ deaths in our facility).
Then......
Here we are.
Please let THIS all be over soon.
Enough already!!

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
90 pages in on this thread and waaaay back then I thought this wouldn't turn into quite the thing that it has.
I'm still of the mindset that we're being controlled.
As of today, we've been told it's back to the blue paper masks, no more n95's.
One day goes into the other.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
90 pages in on this thread and waaaay back then I thought this wouldn't turn into quite the thing that it has.
I'm still of the mindset that we're being controlled.
As of today, we've been told it's back to the blue paper masks, no more n95's.
One day goes into the other.
Using the paper masks to defend against COVID-19 is like keeping mosquitoes at bay with a chain link fence.

Worthless marking of one's boundaries. But, if it makes one feel better, more co-operative, safer and more a part of the sheep herd, go for it.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Using the paper masks to defend against COVID-19 is like keeping mosquitoes at bay with a chain link fence.

Worthless marking of one's boundaries. But, if it makes one feel better, more co-operative, safer and more a part of the sheep herd, go for it.
N95 masks (or better) will protect the wearer to a reasonable degree. Cotton masks are worthless and just for show. Surgical style masks may have some very limited value, but probably don't. There are plenty of facts to back those statements up. The reality is that if the vaccines work then we don't need masks so logically the only reason vaccinated people need to wear masks is for compliance because unvaccinated people cannot be visually differentiated from vaccinated people.

I think good masks are a good idea, assuming they are properly fitted and kept hygienic. I know that most masks are worthless and many people rewear dirty masks day after day after day and they are no more sanitary than a used dishrag.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
St. Joseph's college in Maine are fining for not wearing masks.

More and more colleges are planning to require students be vaccinated by the start of Fall 2021 semester.

Breaking mask rules at several colleges will get you disciplinary action.

No question that schools are treating this seriously, lots of staff and professors are 'at risk' individuals.