• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Corona Virus spreading ... US official says no need to worry

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
Maybe the powers that be are finding the populace is losing faith in their reporting numbers so they're reporting the actual numbers.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
They just announced that March break is going to move to April this year because of covid in Ontario. Not sure what that will do to change things. We'll see.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Frank here are some reasons.

1 is absolutely political. On the day that President Biden was inaugurated the WHO changed their standards for defining the Covid test standards.

2 is absolutely political. The CDC, shortly before Mr Biden was inaugurated, mandated a lower cycle count in for Covid tests.

3 it is probably the cycle of the disease. They all run in cycles. So perhaps some of it is just luck.

All that said, I am concerned that the new variants will tick up the numbers if we don't increase the pace of the vaccinations. We know that as cases go up so do deaths. It's a numerical reality that deaths go up with this disease and go down with this disease. So the key is that we need to get more people some immunity, even if only partial, before the new variants, which seem to spread faster, take a grip on this nation.

Based on the data I'm seeing, even with only 1 dose of the vaccine, if someone does catch Covid, even someone over 60 years old, they don't go into the hospital, they don't die from the disease. They may get sick, they may fell miserable, but they don't need hospital care or funeral services.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Gov DeWine just announced no more curfew for Ohio.
Gee, I didn't know we ever HAD an enforced curfew. ?

Also, Henry county reports that 10% of residents have been vaccinated.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
So here's the thinking of the powers that be in our provincial government. We've been under a "stay at home" order since Christmas because it's "safer" there. Covid numbers are on the rise despite the stay at home order. Particularly in the school system. So it would make sense to shut down the schools and order the kids to do home schooling.

What actually happened was the government, while telling people since Christmas that it's safer at home on the flipside is now saying it is safer for the kids to be at school where numbers are on the rise. So they postponed spring break from March to April to keep the kids where it's "safer" meanwhile the rest of us have to stay home where it's "safer". Does this make sense?

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Here's a scenario.

Imagine that you and your children have tested positive for covid and are isolating at home. It's very cold. Like -40 with the windchill. Not to worry. You're safely inside self isolating because you are infected with the virus. Then it happens.

You wake up to the whole house freezing cold with the possibility of pipes bursting. Your furnace has died. You can't leave because you are infected. Nobody is allowed in while you are quarantined. What do you do?

That's exactly what a local family experienced this week up here.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Gov Dewine sucks. Ohio sucks at getting the vaccine out to the masses. So many of my friends from WV, SC, FL, IL and IN all have gotten one or both of their shots. I have none, no appt. Nothing. I'm on lists. Whoppee. Frustrating.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Gov Dewine sucks. Ohio sucks at getting the vaccine out to the masses. So many of my friends from WV, SC, FL, IL and IN all have gotten one or both of their shots. I have none, no appt. Nothing. I'm on lists. Whoppee. Frustrating.
Doc, I thought Walgreen's, CVS and Rite Aid started mass vaccinations last week.

Reactions: Doc

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Doc, I thought Walgreen's, CVS and Rite Aid started mass vaccinations last week.
Thanks PG. Not down here in hicksville part of Ohio. They don't know when they will get their supply. i checked last week but I should check again tomorrow.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
FWIW, the backwards flyover state of Indiana is on track to have over 900,000 people 1st shot vaccinated by the end of this week and we should have about 400,000 with BOTH shots in their arm by the end of this week. So a total of 1.3 MILLION vaccinations by the end of the week. Given that we have a reasonably small population and are a largely rural state, that is actually pretty darn good. We only have about 6 million residents in the entire state. The above data is based on my STATE's dashboard. JohnsHopkins is actually saying that that we've already passed 1.3 million, if JohnsHopikins is correct then we should be over 1.4 Million by the end of the week can approaching 1.5.

So I don't know what data is correct, but I'll stick with the more conservative data for safety. I do know that the Indiana Covid Dashboard is probably 48 hours behind actual vaccinations. As vaccination data is collected daily, data is sent down to Indianapolis, and then updated on the website 1 time per day. So people who are vaccinated on Wednesday tend to show up in the data on Friday or Saturday.

I don't know about OHIO but in Illinois they are using the drug store chains to vaccinate. BUT not anyone can go to the drug store for the vaccination. You still have to fit the appropriate AGE and be on the RISK lists to get the shot. And you need an APPOINTMENT at the pharmacy to get the shot. So mass vaccinations in Illinois are not happening at the pharmacies. Again, each state has their own process so I what is happening in Ohio may be very different than what is happening in Illinois.

PFIZER recommended 3 weeks between injections for maximum efficacy. MODERNA recommended 4 weeks between injections for maximum efficacy.

We also know that in the UK they are using primarily the OX/AZ vaccine but in the UK they are stretching out the time intervals largely to REDUCE severe cases. They have found that people with 1 dose in their arm may still get Covid, and may still get sick, but they do NOT end up in the hospital or in the morgue. So their logic is saying a delay removes MOST of the risks and prevents their healthcare system from being crushed.

US CDC Weighs Extending Interval Between COVID Jab Doses

In what could become another major messaging flip-flop from the CDC, after repeatedly urging all eligible Americans to make sure not to miss their second follow-up dose of the COVID vaccine, Bloomberg reports that the scientific professionals managing the US COVID response are weighing recommendations to extend the interval between the first and second dose as supplies run low.

The CDC's advisory committee has reportedly debated the idea, which will be taken up by the full committee and provide official guidance, according to a Bloomberg report. Jose Romero, chairman of the committee and Arkansas health secretary, reportedly declined to comment officially.

Such a delay would be a big shift from just a few weeks ago, when US health officials rejected a dose-stretching policy adopted by the UK which allowed up to 12 weeks between shots. Most drugmakers have agreed, saying that policies should follow the protocols used in the shots’ testing, in which the intervals were set at three or four weeks.

But apparently the situation has changed, or is changing.
Despite all the fearmongering about the COVID "mutant" strains (another possibility repeatedly denied by Dr. Tony Fauci and other top health officials until it finally became a reality), Gov. Andrew Cuomo of New York affirmed earlier that the state's positivity rate had fallen to its lowest level since November (though Cuomo is also now embroiled in a worsening scandal over allegedly lying about COVID deaths in NY's nursing homes.

"We know that until we have sufficient vaccine, there is the requirement to have some sort of prioritization scheme," Clay Marsh, West Virginia’s Covid-19 czar, said in an interview.
"The next question is, is it better to put a single dose in the arms of more people?"
The CDC is weighing the shift, which could slow down the vaccination process, while President Biden is doing everything in his power to hit the 100MM vaccinated mark by his 100th day in office.

While supplies have been cited in some reports, we also note demand could also become an issue as not just vaccine-skeptics, but weather-impacted travel restrictions (see Texas for example) mean there are not enough arms to jab.

And unfortunately, it seems some states have been overwhelmed by the task of trying to get enough doses for the most urgently needed patients, all of which have forced both the FDA and CDC to "moderate" their stance about delaying the second dose.

Though we do question the 'science' here? Is the science of vaccine efficacy protocols being sacrificed at the alter of inept local government logistics? . . .

Last edited:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I deal with CVS usually. So I checked with them. A phone call puts you in automation hell. Web site is not much better but eventually here is what I found. here are the stores that have the vaccine, none even close to me, and every one of them is fully booked. So frustrating.

1613575355481.png

Ceee

Site Supporter
While supplies have been cited in some reports, we also note demand could also become an issue as not just vaccine-skeptics, but weather-impacted travel restrictions (see Texas for example) mean there are not enough arms to jab.
Just something that I heard on the local news: A vaccine hub in Houston had some leftover vac's that were going to expire, so they went to a local college and vaccinated students with the remainder. This was just a couple of days ago, and I haven't heard about any fallout from that.

This is aggravating:

"Feb. 16, 2021 -- A doctor near Houston, gave out 10 doses of the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine after an opened vial was set to expire in 6 hours. Then he was charged with stealing the vaccine and was fired from his job at the Harris County Public Health Department, according to The New York Times."

"Gokal realized that the 6-hour expiration window had begun, so he looked for more people who could get a vaccine, starting with the health care workers and police officers at the event, who either declined or had already been vaccinated."

"Gokal gave the doses to acquaintances and strangers, including a bed-bound woman in her 90s, a woman in her 80s with dementia, several men and women in their 60s and 70s with health issues, and a mother with a child on a ventilator. After midnight and just minutes before the vial would expire, the final person called and said he wouldn’t make it. Gokal turned to his wife, who has a pulmonary disease that causes shortness of breath, and gave her the last dose."

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

We’ll Have Herd Immunity by April

A professor at Johns Hopkins is projecting that Covid will be largely gone in April of this year.. So you'd think this should be a headline banner published in every newspaper all around the world.

He makes several key points. Top 2 take aways are that the actual infection rate for Covid nationally is much higher than reported and the fact that we should have about 100,000 million vaccinations jabbed into peoples arms in March of this year.

Thanks to the WALL STREET JOURNAL for having the courage to publish this. Given the political climate one can presume that if this is true, it will be buried by major media sources everywhere and we'll be wearing masks for 2 years. This guy will likely be fired or "cancelled" by the leftist too.

Amid the dire Covid warnings, one crucial fact has been largely ignored: Cases are down 77% over the past six weeks. If a medication slashed cases by 77%, we’d call it a miracle pill. Why is the number of cases plummeting much faster than experts predicted?
In large part because natural immunity from prior infection is far more common than can be measured by testing. Testing has been capturing only from 10% to 25% of infections, depending on when during the pandemic someone got the virus. Applying a time-weighted case capture average of 1 in 6.5 to the cumulative 28 million confirmed cases would mean about 55% of Americans have natural immunity.
Now add people getting vaccinated. As of this week, 15% of Americans have received the vaccine, and the figure is rising fast. Former Food and Drug Commissioner Scott Gottlieb estimates 250 million doses will have been delivered to some 150 million people by the end of March.
There is reason to think the country is racing toward an extremely low level of infection. As more people have been infected, most of whom have mild or no symptoms, there are fewer Americans left to be infected. At the current trajectory, I expect Covid will be mostly gone by April, allowing Americans to resume normal life.

Antibody studies almost certainly underestimate natural immunity. Antibody testing doesn’t capture antigen-specific T-cells, which develop “memory” once they are activated by the virus. Survivors of the 1918 Spanish flu were found in 2008—90 years later—to have memory cells still able to produce neutralizing antibodies.
Researchers at Sweden’s Karolinska Institute found that the percentage of people mounting a T-cell response after mild or asymptomatic Covid-19 infection consistently exceeded the percentage with detectable antibodies. T-cell immunity was even present in people who were exposed to infected family members but never developed symptoms. A group of U.K. scientists in September pointed out that the medical community may be under-appreciating the prevalence of immunity from activated T-cells.
Covid-19 deaths in the U.S. would also suggest much broader immunity than recognized. About 1 in 600 Americans has died of Covid-19, which translates to a population fatality rate of about 0.15%. The Covid-19 infection fatality rate is about 0.23%. These numbers indicate that roughly two-thirds of the U.S. population has had the infection.
In my own conversations with medical experts, I have noticed that they too often dismiss natural immunity, arguing that we don’t have data. The data certainly doesn’t fit the classic randomized-controlled-trial model of the old-guard medical establishment. There’s no control group. But the observational data is compelling.
I have argued for months that we could save more American lives if those with prior Covid-19 infection forgo vaccines until all vulnerable seniors get their first dose. Several studies demonstrate that natural immunity should protect those who had Covid-19 until more vaccines are available. Half my friends in the medical community told me: Good idea. The other half said there isn’t enough data on natural immunity, despite the fact that reinfections have occurred in less than 1% of people—and when they do occur, the cases are mild.
But the consistent and rapid decline in daily cases since Jan. 8 can be explained only by natural immunity. Behavior didn’t suddenly improve over the holidays; Americans traveled more over Christmas than they had since March. Vaccines also don’t explain the steep decline in January. Vaccination rates were low and they take weeks to kick in.
My prediction that Covid-19 will be mostly gone by April is based on laboratory data, mathematical data, published literature and conversations with experts. But it’s also based on direct observation of how hard testing has been to get, especially for the poor. If you live in a wealthy community where worried people are vigilant about getting tested, you might think that most infections are captured by testing. But if you have seen the many barriers to testing for low-income Americans, you might think that very few infections have been captured at testing centers. Keep in mind that most infections are asymptomatic, which still triggers natural immunity.
Many experts, along with politicians and journalists, are afraid to talk about herd immunity. The term has political overtones because some suggested the U.S. simply let Covid rip to achieve herd immunity. That was a reckless idea. But herd immunity is the inevitable result of viral spread and vaccination. When the chain of virus transmission has been broken in multiple places, it’s harder for it to spread—and that includes the new strains.
Herd immunity has been well-documented in the Brazilian city of Manaus, where researchers in the Lancet reported the prevalence of prior Covid-19 infection to be 76%, resulting in a significant slowing of the infection. Doctors are watching a new strain that threatens to evade prior immunity. But countries where new variants have emerged, such as the U.K., South Africa and Brazil, are also seeing significant declines in daily new cases. The risk of new variants mutating around the prior vaccinated or natural immunity should be a reminder that Covid-19 will persist for decades after the pandemic is over. It should also instill a sense of urgency to develop, authorize and administer a vaccine targeted to new variants.
Some medical experts privately agreed with my prediction that there may be very little Covid-19 by April but suggested that I not to talk publicly about herd immunity because people might become complacent and fail to take precautions or might decline the vaccine. But scientists shouldn’t try to manipulate the public by hiding the truth. As we encourage everyone to get a vaccine, we also need to reopen schools and society to limit the damage of closures and prolonged isolation. Contingency planning for an open economy by April can deliver hope to those in despair and to those who have made large personal sacrifices.
Dr. Makary is a professor at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine and Bloomberg School of Public Health, chief medical adviser to Sesame Care, and author of “The Price We Pay.”

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Also of NOTE, data coming out of Israel, the nation with the highest level of vaccination in the world, primarily using the Pfizer vaccine.

Sample size is 500,000 people!

After 1 injection of Pfizer's 2 part vaccine people had 90% immunity and are expected to retain that for up to 6 months. Again that is only with 1 of the 2 doses administered. Zero hospitalizations 21 days after first injection. It does take a few weeks for the body to build immunity so people are still at risk for a couple weeks after the 1st shot. But the data is astounding in that just 1 shot can keep people out fo the hospital.

Data also shows that just 1 shot dramatically reduces severe Covid. Oddly, it is less effective on mild covid.

At this point we can't extrapolate this data and apply it to the otters brands of vaccine.

The USA is following a 2 shot strategy while the UK is following a 1 shot strategy. The FDA has looked at some data, but currently choosiest stay with the 2 dose strategy, with 2nd dose following 3 weeks {Pfizer} or 4 weeks [Moderna] after the 1st dose. The UK switched to the 1 dose strategy about a month ago and is working to give 1 dose to as many as possible ASAP and plans to give a 2nd dose out 3+ months after the first was administered. If there is a race for herd immunity, one can presume the UK strategy will get them there quicker. The UK took a serious gamble and data shows their gamble may pay off. Fortunately.

USA - 12.5% have 1st vaccination, roughly 5% have 2 vaccinations
UK - 24.6% have 1st vaccination, but 0.9% have 2nd vaccination

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I got Covid shot 2 this afternoon. Moderna. It was a little over 5 hours ago. No pain at the injection site. Nothing else noticeable at this point in time.

——————————————

Germany and Italy are experiencing increasing cases of Covid while the US and many other nations are seeing decreasing Covid cases. both nations are under lockdowns and both are worried about a 3rd wave

Boris Johnson, PM in England, suggests that the U.K. could return to “normal” by Mid-Summer of this year.

Infections in highly vaccinated Israel are dropping at roughly the same rate that infections in the largely un-vaccinated Palestinian territory are dropping. Hmmm?

——————————————

The United Nations is reporting that 2020 was officially the worst year for tourism in modern history. The impact, on nations from Thailand to Iceland are economically devastating. I’m just wondering out loud if tourist dependent nations will begin pushing for Covid Vaccination Passports to reopen their income streams.

Reactions: Doc

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I should not go out to eat in public, despite being fully vaccinated.
I should not go to a movie theatre, despite being fully vaccinated.
So says Dr Anthony Fauci.
If true, then what the heck good is the vaccination? I likely won't get sick. Which is the whole point of the vaccine. Should life now begin to return to normal? Granted society still has a way to go before enough people get vaccinated but damn. They want to sit down and start thinking about modifying rules. What the heck have they been doing?

And its all just "for the vaccinated" that will see these freedoms return. So does that mean vaccine passports?

VIDEOS at the link ; https://www.zerohedge.com/covid-19/fauci-us-may-soon-ease-rules-fully-vaccinated

Fauci Says US May Soon Ease Rules... For The Vaccinated​

BY TYLER DURDEN
TUESDAY, FEB 23, 2021 - 11:15
Anthony Fauci, the nation's top infectious diseases specialist (and highest-paid government employee), says that while we may still be wearing masks in 2022, those who have received a COVID-19 vaccine may be able to enjoy 'eased' public health protocols, according to Bloomberg.

"When you say, wait a minute, if I’m fully vaccinated, and my daughter comes in the house and she’s fully vaccinated, do we really" need the same strict rules? Fauci said during a Tuesday interview with CNN. "Common sense tells you that, in fact, you don’t have to be as stringent in your public health measures."

That said, Fauci - President Biden's top medical adviser, said he didn't want to get ahead of the CDC's advice, which he said could be forthcoming, and should "relax the stringency of the recommendations," particularly when it comes to family members who have been vaccinated.

When host Alisyn Camerota asked Fauci whether fully vaccinated people should be able to get together with family indoors, Fauci responded that he would be comfortable with that, but that some of the discussions currently taking place "were not very comfortable.

According to Fauci, however, the CDC wants to "sit down, talk about it, look at the data and then come out with a recommendation based on the science."

On Monday, Fauci recommended that fully vaccinated people still shouldn't dine indoors or go to theaters yet.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
This BS just keeps getting deeper and deeper!! I've long been of the opinion fauci is nothing but a little weasel. The comparison of Florida and California is pretty plain to see.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
This BS just keeps getting deeper and deeper!! I've long been of the opinion fauci is nothing but a little weasel. The comparison of Florida and California is pretty plain to see.
I think FLA Governor DeSantis may be the heir to the Trump legacy.

Florida has a huge elderly population and, unlike NY Gov Cuomo, Florida did not commit genocide. Nor did Florida destroy its economy or the lives of its citizens. Comparing CA Gov Newsom to DeSantis is really sort of a joke, well what I really mean is that Newsom is a total joke and may not survive a recall ballot for his multitude of failures.

I certainly questioned some of Florida's choices but they really need to be held up as a model state for Covid done properly.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Two things that have been recently mentioned that are now in the news.

STORY #1

Governor Ron DeSantis of Florida may be the most demonized hero on the planet today. This is just a small part of the article. The National Review has the full article and it exposes much of the media's bias with photos and video, plus the full story. LINK => https://www.nationalreview.com/2021...hing-the-press-accused-ron-desantis-of-being/

From the outset of the pandemic, New York State has had the highest number of deaths of any state and still does (47,000), and the second-highest deaths-per-million of anywhere in the country. In contrast, Florida is right around the national average for deaths-per-million. Journalists brushed right by these top-line numbers in the interest of their tendentious narrative-building.
They erupted in outrage when DeSantis was allegedly slow to close the beaches last March but didn’t dwell much on Cuomo saying, when the virus was already spreading throughout his state: “The facts defeat fear. Because the reality is reassuring.”
They accused DeSantis of unnecessarily endangering seniors when the Florida governor took steps to protect the nursing homes, and Andrew Cuomo, infamously, ordered nursing homes to accept COVID-19 patients.
They claimed DeSantis was rejecting the “science” by, among other things, pushing to reopen the schools, an approach that has proved out. Meanwhile, experts have fled the New York public-health bureaucracy in response to Cuomo’s highhandedness.
They bought the bogus story of a Florida data manager who was supposedly persecuted for blowing the whistle on the state’s manipulation of its COVID numbers, when, of course, this is exactly what Cuomo was doing.
And so, the media’s anointed hero of the pandemic — who wrote a book on his own exemplary pandemic response, who won a Grammy, who was elevated to an authority with the standing to comment on how the country was handling COVID-19 — is facing calls to resign or face impeachment and is the subject of multiple investigations, while his routine bullying of critics is now out in the open.
Not only are none of these things happening to Ron DeSantis, his policy of avoiding strict lockdowns, which occasioned so much criticism, has avoided the educational and economic downsides of Cuomo’s policies. According to Florida data, the state offers more in-person education than any other state, and it has a lower unemployment rate than the national average and other populous states. This matters greatly to the well-being of Floridians.

STORY #2

Recently there has been more talk about COVID PASSPORTS, today I see this story, which is going to keep the anti-vax crowd locked up as prisoners in their own countries.

Again, this is just part of the story, see the full article for more details. But it looks like more and more countries are considering this. Our own President Biden even floated the idea for Americans to be able to travel between states. From the France24 news service: https://www.france24.com/en/europe/...-passports-critics-raise-discrimination-fears

As more governments mull vaccine passports, critics raise discrimination fears

23/02/2021 - 19:06
Amid a rollout of coronavirus vaccines, technology and health firms are working on ways that people get digital certificates to be displayed on smartphones to show proof of inoculation. Kenzo Tribouillard AFP/File
With vaccinations well under way, governments are increasingly seeing vaccination “passports” – or other forms of Covid-19 status certificates – as a way out of the cycles of shutdowns and curfews that have made many prisoners in their own homes and ground global industry to a near halt.
The certificates would enable people to present proof of vaccination and thus skip quarantine protocols when arriving in a new country.
Some countries have already introduced such policies, with Iceland becoming the first European nation to issue vaccine certificates in late January. Greece on Tuesday unveiled a digital vaccination certificate for those who have received two doses of the vaccine. Among the countries that are currently issuing or asking for vaccine certificates are Cyprus, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Hungary, Italy, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Spain and Sweden.
Across the English Channel, Prime Minister Boris Johnson announced Monday his government would consider Covid-19 “status certificates” as a pathway out of the health crisis. . .

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
We get our second shot tomorrow afternoon and just this afternoon we got a call from NETHealth saying our names had come up and would be called to set up an appointment for this week in Tyler, 30 miles away. They do the drive through vaccinations in the car park. My wife called and cancelled that one.

Our local Brookshire's pharmacy is giving vaccination shots at the rate of 10 or 12 a day. The person giving the shots is doing them in addition to their other normal duties. Even in a town of less than 5K people you're not going to make many inroads at that rate. What has become obvious over the last few weeks is that many older people are being left out of the system They either do not have a computer or they are not computer literate enough to make their way through the maze that is the online registration system. I wouldn't say that it is a mess but it can be very confusing and frustrating. My wife is organizing things at the local library and mobilizing friends and helpers to get them registered and on a list to be vaccinated.

As for Dr Faucci, that little gnome lost my faith 8 months ago. I wouldn't believe a darned word he says. He's just another self important little bureaucrat hooked on the power and notoriety that the situation has given him. I wish that I could vaccinate my TV so that he never appears again.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
... What has become obvious over the last few weeks is that many older people are being left out of the system They either do not have a computer or they are not computer literate enough to make their way through the maze that is the online registration system...

Not sure what other states are doing, honestly I watch Illinois news and don't pay much attention to how they sign up for the vaccine, but here in Indiana we can call 2-1-1 or we can log onto a website.

While Indiana is generally considered a backwards-flyover state occupied by farmers and hicks, Indiana makes things really simple and targets age groups, which makes things really simple. In fact today I got 3 notices to get a vaccine. 1 was a text message from the state. 1 was a message from my clinic. 1 was an email from the state. A care-giver can even sign up a parent if they are unable to access the phone or website. Maybe its not perfect, certainly it misses some people, but I think its pretty good.

Obviously given that I got my shot at 4:05pm Central Time yesterday, the state website was not updated with the fact that I was already vaccinated. The nurse actually logged my vaccine into the website in front of me and corrected my birth date, which was originally put in incorrectly, so I'm pretty confident in our system here.

Tennessee is in serious trouble, they are throwing away THOUSANDS of vaccine, even in the Memphis area. It's a terrible shame. I think people should be resigning there.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
So its Wednesday morning now. The farting and diarrhea have pretty much ended. Moderna shot #2 was taken in the late afternoon on Monday. Picked up 20 White Castles on my way home.

Apparently there was some reaction between the entire bag of White Castle cheeseburgers, with everything + extra onions, and the Moderna vaccine. Don't let anyone tell you these vaccines are not dangerous I've never had so much stomach discomfort from White Castle burgers before. Then again I don't think I ever ate 12 White Castles in one day. Seriously considering notifying the FDA about this vaccine issue, they should warn people.

So ... just beware :poop:

Ceee

Site Supporter
What has become obvious over the last few weeks is that many older people are being left out of the system They either do not have a computer or they are not computer literate enough to make their way through the maze that is the online registration system. I wouldn't say that it is a mess but it can be very confusing and frustrating.
Yes :thumb:, and they need to find some fix for that problem.
My wife is organizing things at the local library and mobilizing friends and helpers to get them registered and on a list to be vaccinated.
Kudos to Wonder Woman again

Note to self: Don't eat 12 White Castles after getting the vaccine

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Numbers are on the rise where I live and it's looking like another lockdown is in the near future. There's been several cases popping up in the schools but the government still maintains that the schools are safer than having the kids at home. When at Christmas time, they claimed the opposite and even kept them home for the first week of January to homeschool. Now, they decided to postpone spring break into April to keep the kids where it's safe. Meanwhile the rest of us will be in lockdown at home where it's safe. Vaccinations are very slowly being administered due to a shortage of them.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Numbers are on the rise where I live and it's looking like another lockdown is in the near future. There's been several cases popping up in the schools but the government still maintains that the schools are safer than having the kids at home. When at Christmas time, they claimed the opposite and even kept them home for the first week of January to homeschool. Now, they decided to postpone spring break into April to keep the kids where it's safe. Meanwhile the rest of us will be in lockdown at home where it's safe. Vaccinations are very slowly being administered due to a shortage of them.
Here in my local school district we have had quite a few parents send their sick, infected kids to school. However, we have actually had almost no cases of Covid being spread INSIDE the school or on the school buses. We had a big outbreak at our middle school, it was tied to events that occurred at a few households. It actually shut down the whole school for 2 weeks because there were so many teachers exposed as "close contacts" to the students that there were not enough substitute teachers to fill in for them while they sat at home in quarantine. I don't believe any of the exposed teachers ended up testing positive.

Now I prefaced that by saying "my local school district" because at least here in Indiana each district sets its own rules and protocols.

But nationally our CDC shows plenty of data saying that spreading the disease is not really a big issue in the schools. Below the age of 12 (approximately) there is minimal community transmission of Covid. As children age their lungs develop and the risk increases. So the risks are greater at the high school level. Many of the school districts have chosen to make high school a part-time in person program with 1/2 the kids going 2 days, the other half going 2 days, and everyone off on Friday for e-learning.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Ane we will have a 3rd Vaccine in the USA in a few days, 20 Million doses by the end of March for this vaccine, on top of the doses from Pfizer and Moderna.

This is less effective than the others but it offers serious advantages. It is a SINGLE dose shot, it also can be shipped through NORMAL drug shipment channels without the need for specialized freezers.

Given the NEW variants that are spreading around, and given that some are becoming the dominant strains, having more doses of anything, even if somewhat less effective, helps slow or stop the spread while also getting us closer to herd immunity. Personally if this was my only option I'd gladly take it. Some protection is better than none. And tests showed if you do get Covid after taking this shot the disease is much milder, dramatically lowering risks of hospitalization or complications, and to my mind that is a win.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration said Johnson & Johnson ’s single-dose Covid-19 vaccine works safely, paving the way for the approval of a third vaccine in the U.S. as early as this weekend.
The vaccine was 66.1% effective in preventing moderate to severe disease and appeared safe, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration said Wednesday, and the shot also showed tantalizing signs of slowing the spread of the virus.
J&J’s shot would be the third cleared for use in the U.S., as health authorities pick up the pace of vaccinations and try to lock in gains reducing daily cases, hospitalizations and deaths while staying ahead of any new variants that threaten to evade treatment.
. . .​