• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Corona Virus spreading ... US official says no need to worry

Ceee

Site Supporter
Since when do Catholic schools have money? They have been closing down due to lack of funds all around the country.
If you believe that happened, then why do you think that happened? Money is the only reason I can come up with. How else are they going to get the vaccine before they're supposed to? I'm not trying to pick a fight or anything like that. I'm just asking.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I think Notre Dame Academy picked a provider ahead of time, so whether it was Promedica or Mercy Health, I've no clue.
Like was said in the link, at least people got vaccinated.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
If you believe that happened, then why do you think that happened? Money is the only reason I can come up with. How else are they going to get the vaccine before they're supposed to? I'm not trying to pick a fight or anything like that. I'm just asking.
IF I think WHAT happened?

I don't even understand what you are saying. But I doubt it will be money.

My guess is they contracted early with a health provider. In many states teachers are considered front line workers and a top priority; I don't know if that is the case for this school in this state, but if so then they are actually entitled to the vaccine. I know some of the Illinois school districts are vaccinating their staff/teachers.

Ceee

Site Supporter
I don't even understand what you are saying. But I doubt it will be money.
Let me clarify. I should have said:
If you think they actually received the vaccine before they were actually supposed to, how do you think they were able to do that?

Anyway, the question has been answered. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Let me clarify. I should have said:
If you think they actually received the vaccine before they were actually supposed to, how do you think they were able to do that?

Anyway, the question has been answered. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
If the state priorities put teachers in the same group as other 'front line' workers then I don't see how they got it "before they were supposed to" get it. State's send out vaccine to authorized hospitals, clinics, etc. Many of those medical groups cross multiple county lines with their locations. Once a provider has it they dispense it to the people on their priority list.

Teachers were on the priority list.

I guess I don't understand why anyone is making any sort of issue about this.

-------------------------------------------

Now much as we have tried to stay away from politics in this thread, and we have DONE A PRETTY GOOD JOB OF THAT, it is time to inject some obvious politics.

Despite a new threat from several more highly contagious varieties of Covid (Brazil, UK and South Africa)
California, and despite record high hospitalizations and record low supplies, is OPENING FOR BUSINESS.
New York, and despite all its issues, is OPENING FOR BUSINESS.
They both announced it shortly after Joe Biden was inagurated President.

------------------------------------------

"It Just Doesn't Work As Expected" - Macron Questions Vaccine Credibility As EU Approves AstraZeneca Jab​

A battle is raging in Europe over the safety of vaccines on Friday. As the EMA insists that the AstraZeneca's COVID vaccine was safe, before approving it for everyone over 18, French President Emmanuel Macron has just expressed serious doubts about the jab's efficacy, just as Europe's second-largest economy is supposedly struggling to convince citizens to take the vaccine.

Just before the EMA's expert committee unanimously recommended the vaccine to be used on all adults over 18, concerns were raised this week that not enough data exist to prove that the vaccine works in older people, and those concerns were amplified by Macron, much to the chagrin of some fellow EU leaders.

"The real problem with AstraZeneca is just that it doesn’t work as expected, because there we have very little information," Macron told a group of foreign reporters at the Elysée Palace on Friday.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
And that Pfizer vaccine???

Rep. Stephen Lynch Tests Positive for COVID-19

The Massachusetts Democrat has received both doses of the Pfizer vaccine for coronavirus

By Mike Pescaro and Asher Klein • Published January 29, 2021 • Updated on January 29, 2021 at 11:42 pm

Rep. Stephen Lynch, D-Mass., has tested positive for COVID-19, his office announced Friday.

Lynch was tested for coronavirus after a staff member in his office tested positive earlier in the week. The congressman received his positive test Friday afternoon.

A statement from Pfizer said that it can take seven days for protection from the second dose to kick in. However, the statement from Lynch's office said the congressman received the second dose vaccine before attending President Joe Biden's inauguration on Jan. 20, nine days before his positive test.

Lynch also tested negative for COVID-19 prior to the inauguration.

FULL STORY HERE --> https://www.nbcboston.com/news/coronavirus/rep-stephen-lynch-tests-positive-for-covid-19/2288818/

Ceee

Site Supporter
Kimberly-Clark N95 Pouch Respirator (53358), Made in U.S.A, Universal Size, 50 Respirators/Bag
If anybody is looking for face masks, these are really good masks. I've worn them several times now, and they fit my face well. I like these a lot better than what I've been wearing. They're not pretty, and they're not cheap. I'll go for not-so-pretty but better protected every time.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Good video from Dr John Campbell, talks about the new variant at the beginning and also risks for complications & hospitalization if you get covid.

Interesting summary of the cluster of government healthcare!

===============================================================​

Glitches Sabotage Vaccine Rollout Across US; EU Plays 'Hardball' As Battle For Doses Heats Up

BY TYLER DURDEN​
SUNDAY, JAN 31, 2021 - 17:25​
Across the US., a vaccination campaign that was meant to reverse the tide of the pandemic and spur the nation’s economic recovery is getting bogged down by technical glitches and software woes. Cash-strapped public health departments are trying to keep their websites from crashing while booking millions of appointments, tracking unpredictable inventory, and logging how many shots they give.​
States are ignoring an IT system set up by the federal government at a cost of $44MM, and instead they're working with a hodge-podge of local systems that are constantly malfunctioning, causing massive delays in vaccinations. In Mississippi, an online vaccine registration system failed during a sudden onslaught of traffic. Officials at a local health department in Georgia had to resort to counting every vaccine dose by hand before scheduling appointments.​
And as if that weren't enough, logistical issues from Pfizer, Moderna and McKesson have led to batches of doses being recalled for either being kept too cold, or too hot, while shipping.​
Even in California, workers forgetting to click a "submit" button at the end of the day led to a major glitch in the undercounting of vaccines. Similar incidents unfurled in Idaho and North Dakota.​
Furthermore, gaps in the data could be distorting the national picture of how efficiently vaccines are being used, though this will become more clear as the bugs in the system get worked out.
For the past few weeks, Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus has been using his bully pulpit in Geneva, where he delivers his press briefings about the global COVID-19 crisis, to slam the West for its tremendous moral failing surrounding its failure to share vaccines with the developing world.
So far, the only two developed countries who have seen strong vaccination programs are the UK and Israel. In Israeli, the top Israeli fast-moving vaccination program, which has already reached a third of the population, is built on a bargain. The vaccine maker agreed to keep up the quick-time delivery of doses in the country in exchange for partial access to the vast database of information maintained by the country's national health-care system.
 Already, researchers here and in other countries are getting their first look in Europe.​
Douglas Dowell, a pro-Europe commentator, highlighted the EU’s claim that it was acting “to avert serious societal difficulties due to a lack of supply threatening to disturb the orderly implementation of vaccination campaigns in the member state."
But others saw that the EU high command, which had spent years insisting there could be no hard border on the island of Ireland, was effectively threatening to reestablish the border with the stroke of a pen if Brussels didn't manage to keep enough vaccines.​
In short, the insatiable demand for vaccines is showing the world that for all the humanistic rhetoric emanating from the West, when the chips are down and the vaccine supplies are limited, the whole thing devolves into a knife fight.
=======================================================​

Why Some Who Are Vaccinated Still Get Coronavirus

Jan. 31, 2021, 4:45 p.m. ET1 hour ago
The scattered reports from around the country can play like a cruel irony: Someone tests positive for the coronavirus even though they have already received one or both doses of a Covid-19 vaccine.

Notable examples

It’s happened to at least three members of Congress recently:
But it’s been reported in people in other walks of life too, including Rick Pitino, a Hall of Fame basketball coach, and a nurse in California.

How can that happen?

Experts say cases like these are not surprising and do not indicate that there was something wrong with the vaccines or how they were administered. Here is why.

• Vaccines don’t work instantly. It takes a few weeks for the body to build up immunity after receiving a dose. And the vaccines now in use in the U.S., from Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna, both require a second shot a few weeks after the first to reach full effectiveness.
  • Nor do they work retroactively. You can already be infected and not know it when you get the vaccine — even if you recently tested negative. That infection can continue to develop after you get the shot but before its protection fully takes hold, and then show up in a positive test result.
  • The vaccines prevent illness, but maybe not infection. Covid vaccines are being authorized based on how well they keep you from getting sick, needing hospitalization and dying. Scientists don’t know yet how effective the vaccines are at preventing the coronavirus from infecting you to begin with, or at keeping you from passing it on to others. (That’s why vaccinated people should keep wearing masks and maintaining social distance.)
  • Even the best vaccines aren’t perfect. The efficacy rates for Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna vaccines are extremely high, but they are not 100 percent. With the virus still spreading out of control in the U.S., some of the millions of recently vaccinated people were bound to get infected in any case.

Last edited:

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Good video from Dr John Campbell, talks about the new variant at the beginning and also risks for complications & hospitalization if you get covid.

Interesting summary of the cluster of government healthcare!

===============================================================​

Glitches Sabotage Vaccine Rollout Across US; EU Plays 'Hardball' As Battle For Doses Heats Up

BY TYLER DURDEN​
SUNDAY, JAN 31, 2021 - 17:25​
Across the US., a vaccination campaign that was meant to reverse the tide of the pandemic and spur the nation’s economic recovery is getting bogged down by technical glitches and software woes. Cash-strapped public health departments are trying to keep their websites from crashing while booking millions of appointments, tracking unpredictable inventory, and logging how many shots they give.​
States are ignoring an IT system set up by the federal government at a cost of $44MM, and instead they're working with a hodge-podge of local systems that are constantly malfunctioning, causing massive delays in vaccinations. In Mississippi, an online vaccine registration system failed during a sudden onslaught of traffic. Officials at a local health department in Georgia had to resort to counting every vaccine dose by hand before scheduling appointments.​
And as if that weren't enough, logistical issues from Pfizer, Moderna and McKesson have led to batches of doses being recalled for either being kept too cold, or too hot, while shipping.​
Even in California, workers forgetting to click a "submit" button at the end of the day led to a major glitch in the undercounting of vaccines. Similar incidents unfurled in Idaho and North Dakota.​
Furthermore, gaps in the data could be distorting the national picture of how efficiently vaccines are being used, though this will become more clear as the bugs in the system get worked out.
For the past few weeks, Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus has been using his bully pulpit in Geneva, where he delivers his press briefings about the global COVID-19 crisis, to slam the West for its tremendous moral failing surrounding its failure to share vaccines with the developing world.
So far, the only two developed countries who have seen strong vaccination programs are the UK and Israel. In Israeli, the top Israeli fast-moving vaccination program, which has already reached a third of the population, is built on a bargain. The vaccine maker agreed to keep up the quick-time delivery of doses in the country in exchange for partial access to the vast database of information maintained by the country's national health-care system.
 Already, researchers here and in other countries are getting their first look in Europe.​
Douglas Dowell, a pro-Europe commentator, highlighted the EU’s claim that it was acting “to avert serious societal difficulties due to a lack of supply threatening to disturb the orderly implementation of vaccination campaigns in the member state."
But others saw that the EU high command, which had spent years insisting there could be no hard border on the island of Ireland, was effectively threatening to reestablish the border with the stroke of a pen if Brussels didn't manage to keep enough vaccines.​
In short, the insatiable demand for vaccines is showing the world that for all the humanistic rhetoric emanating from the West, when the chips are down and the vaccine supplies are limited, the whole thing devolves into a knife fight.
=======================================================​

Why Some Who Are Vaccinated Still Get Coronavirus

Jan. 31, 2021, 4:45 p.m. ET1 hour ago
The scattered reports from around the country can play like a cruel irony: Someone tests positive for the coronavirus even though they have already received one or both doses of a Covid-19 vaccine.

Notable examples

It’s happened to at least three members of Congress recently:
But it’s been reported in people in other walks of life too, including Rick Pitino, a Hall of Fame basketball coach, and a nurse in California.

How can that happen?

Experts say cases like these are not surprising and do not indicate that there was something wrong with the vaccines or how they were administered. Here is why.

• Vaccines don’t work instantly. It takes a few weeks for the body to build up immunity after receiving a dose. And the vaccines now in use in the U.S., from Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna, both require a second shot a few weeks after the first to reach full effectiveness.
  • Nor do they work retroactively. You can already be infected and not know it when you get the vaccine — even if you recently tested negative. That infection can continue to develop after you get the shot but before its protection fully takes hold, and then show up in a positive test result.
  • The vaccines prevent illness, but maybe not infection. Covid vaccines are being authorized based on how well they keep you from getting sick, needing hospitalization and dying. Scientists don’t know yet how effective the vaccines are at preventing the coronavirus from infecting you to begin with, or at keeping you from passing it on to others. (That’s why vaccinated people should keep wearing masks and maintaining social distance.)
  • Even the best vaccines aren’t perfect. The efficacy rates for Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna vaccines are extremely high, but they are not 100 percent. With the virus still spreading out of control in the U.S., some of the millions of recently vaccinated people were bound to get infected in any case.
looks like they don't work on democrats :ROFLMAO:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
From CNN, see the link for the full article.

CDC says travelers must wear masks on all forms of public transportation

As the country watches for more-transmissible strains, it is about to require masks on public transportation.
The CDC announced an order late Friday that will require people to wear a face mask while using any form of public transportation, including buses, trains, taxis, airplanes, boats, subways or ride-share vehicles while traveling into, within and out of the US.
The order goes into effect at 11:59 p.m. Monday.
Masks must be worn while waiting, boarding, traveling and disembarking, it said. The coverings need to be at least two or more layers of breathable fabric secured to the head with ties, ear loops or elastic bands -- and scarves and bandanas do not count, the order says.
...​
The CDC said it reserves the right to enforce the order through criminal penalties...

Last edited:

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
The CDC said it reserves the right to enforce the order through criminal penalties...
I'll be interested to see how that works out. It seems like an authority/power grab in order to keep the CDC relevant because, Lord only knows, very few people give them credence any more.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well... here is more authoritarian BS. Follow the link to the full story:

“Depending on the circumstance, those who refuse a mask may be subject to a civil penalty for attempting to circumvent screening requirements, interfering with screening personnel, or a combination of those offenses,” TSA announced on Sunday.

The mask requirement, a result of a new Centers for Disease Control and Prevention order requiring mask-wearing at transportation hubs, will remain effective until May 11.

It follows President Biden’s executive order Jan. 21 directing federal agencies to “immediately take action” to mandate the use of masks in airports, trains, intercity bus services and public maritime vessels such as ferries.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
It still makes me wonder how much of this is about public safety and how much is about control of the masses??
Much of it is about seeing just how far one will comply beyond what is practical.

That said, they can shove the double mask suggestion (rule?).

On the positive side, cases continue to drop daily.
Bank lobbies etc are opening back up.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
The new LA, Ca rule of no TV for outdoor dining during superbowl is just the latest example of testing how much control citizens will stand. The idiots don't realize they're forcing people to gather in large groups in homes which will be worse than outdoor dining. I agree with PG it's just testing for when they really want to push to determine how far they can go!!

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
To completely change the direction of the thread, my wife, Wonder Woman, got us an appointment to get our vaccine shots today. She logged on to University of Texas Health just as they opened their registration page and she jumped right in. We're due to get shot up at 6pm on Wednesday the 3rd. At least this will start the process. Strange! Once the appointment was confirmed I felt a sense of relief. I didn't feel or realize that I was stressed about it but I guess that I was.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I think a lot of it is about control. A loss of civil liberties and a grab of government power.

I do not think the virus was engineered in a lab to "reset" the world by the "new world order" or the "tech oligarchs" or whoever. I just think the virus (which may have coincidently been engineered in a lab) provided power grabbers the opportunity to test their powers and grab more.

Liberal states like Illinois have been locked down much harder/longer than conservative states like Indiana. Yet the disease, which I contend is "real" and which I also contend is NOT "just like the flu" seems to be hitting both states about the same, lots of people ended up in the hospital lots of people died. However the people in Indiana seem far better off than those in my neighboring state of Illinois. I see fewer permanently closed businesses. Fewer lives shattered by financial collapse and permanent job losses. Both states were shut down but Indiana re-opened months earlier and the lockdowns were less severe in Indiana. Real estate in my part of Indiana is actually very hot right now. I can't speak for the rest of the state, but along the norther border with Illinois we are seeing high prices, especially on the suburban and rural properties.

Now, when if we "follow the science" we have 2 new more contagious strains + 1 new President and what do we see but the liberal states like Illinois, New York and California are pushing to RE-OPEN their businesses. Coincidence? Or just proving the skeptics were correct all along and much of this is about 'control' of humans?

I believe we can, rationally, believe BOTH that this is a REAL disease AND it was used against freedom by corrupt politicians.

To completely change the direction of the thread, my wife, Wonder Woman, got us an appointment to get our vaccine shots today. She logged on to University of Texas Health just as they opened their registration page and she jumped right in. We're due to get shot up at 6pm on Wednesday the 3rd. At least this will start the process. Strange! Once the appointment was confirmed I felt a sense of relief. I didn't feel or realize that I was stressed about it but I guess that I was.
Frank I pretty much felt the same way.

Life out here doesn't seem all that much different with or without covid but there was a sense of relief when we got our calls for our shots. I can't explain why.

And here is some more news about the mutations. I've highlighted some of the key points. Seems that the mutations will still be managed by the vaccine, although if you have the vaccine you may still get covid. It just won't be a bad case of covid. This is very good news for the OVER 60 year old crowd and others who have underlying conditions. People over 60 and those with multiple underlying conditions tend to get sicker and tend to have higher incidents of death, so if the vaccines do their job reasonably well, you may still get sick from Covid but its likely you'll stay home and treat it with Tylenol instead of going to the hospital and ending up in the morgue.

UK variant has mutated again, scientists say

2 hours ago
By Michelle Roberts
Health editor, BBC News online

The Kent variant of coronavirus that has been spreading in the UK appears to be undergoing some 'worrying' new genetic changes, say scientists.

Tests on some samples show a mutation, called E484K, already seen in the South Africa and Brazil variants that are of concern.

Although this change may reduce vaccine effectiveness, the current ones in use should still work, say experts.
. . .

Scientists have already been checking what these new mutations might mean for existing coronavirus vaccines ... But early results from Moderna suggest its vaccine is still effective against variants with this mutation - although the body's immune response may not be as strong or prolonged.

Two new coronavirus vaccines that could be approved soon - one from Novavax and another from Janssen - also appear to offer good cover against variants, protecting against serious illness.

Even in the worst case scenario, vaccines can be redesigned and tweaked to be a better match in a matter or weeks or months, if necessary, say experts.

A silver lining may be that the variants are mutating in a similar way rather than diverging from each other.​

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm very disappointed with Ohio's vaccine distribution information. i get numbers to call that go dead after I call them. I finally got one thanks to my son in law that answered. It was my county health dept. I left a message Sunday and again this morning. they say they'll get back to me but so far nothing. Like you Frank, I would feel better to at least know I'm on a list and know that I will get it eventually. I would much prefer to sign up online but I've not seen that option anywhere. Those of us over 65 but under 70 are not eligible until Feb 7th or sometime after that but come on. A little communication goes a long way. DeWine is good at shutting stuff down but when it comes to communication and distribution of a vaccine to protect us from Covid DeWine sucks.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm very disappointed with Ohio's vaccine distribution information. i get numbers to call that go dead after I call them. I finally got one thanks to my son in law that answered. It was my county health dept. I left a message Sunday and again this morning. they say they'll get back to me but so far nothing. Like you Frank, I would feel better to at least know I'm on a list and know that I will get it eventually. I would much prefer to sign up online but I've not seen that option anywhere. Those of us over 65 but under 70 are not eligible until Feb 7th or sometime after that but come on. A little communication goes a long way. DeWine is good at shutting stuff down but when it comes to communication and distribution of a vaccine to protect us from Covid DeWine sucks.
Indiana moved to age 65 for vaccinations a couple days ago.

Indiana sends out an email as soon as you qualify. I know people who claim they never gave their email or signed up with any state agency that are getting emails from the Indiana Dept of Health. The emails are legit. It gives instructions on how to sign up. I personally know people who got those emails on the day after they qualified.

Here you can pick a clinic/hosptial that gives the vaccination and set your own appointment. One of my friends called today, and got his appointment set for March 3. He set it for a late afternoon and is going to take his wife. The clinic said they'd give her a shot too if she came with him and there were any "leftover" doses. By coming with him it puts her on the top of the "on call" list for leftover doses. That is a common practice here. My cousin and his wife did the same thing last Saturday. He qualified, she is a couple years younger, but she tagged along and got the 'leftover' dose.

I have no clue if other states allow or do this sort of thing but it seems to be common in Indiana and I'm happy about it. It is not a matter of jumping the line since the doses would otherwise need to be "disposed of" so might as well put them in a human rather than putting them in the dumpster.

FWIW, my daughter, age 26, just got on the list in Illinois for a vaccination. Apparently the Supreme Court of the State of Illinois ruled that lawyers are "essential" workers, but do not qualify as "front line" workers. So she is on a medium priority list. First responders are ahead of her. People older than 65 are ahead of her. But she said she is expecting to get her first shot in March??? Hoping???

Interesting to hear how other state do it.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
And BOOM a politician (who is a surgeon) calls out lies by the CDC about vaccine priorities.

Rand Paul accuses CDC of being 'caught in a lie' over vaccine misinformation​

Sen, Rand Paul took aim at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, saying the agency was “caught in a lie” for insisting that people who have already had COVID-19 could still benefit from being vaccinated.

“CDC caught in a lie — studies do not show efficacy of vaccine in previously infected COVID patients. Vaccines should be prioritized for people who have not yet had COVID,” Paul said on Twitter.

Paul shared an article from Full Measure, which detailed repeated claims by CDC officials that evidence supported vaccinating those that had already had the virus.

Full Measure reported that the CDC’s claim that a study proved the Pfizer vaccine showed “consistent high efficacy” for those who have already had the COVID-19 was originally disputed by Rep. Thomas Massie, who was so alarmed by the claim that he recorded calls with CDC officials he talked to in an attempt to make a correction.

“People who have had disease, given that there's limited doses right now, we're, we are suggesting that those people wait,” the CDC’s Amanda Cohn told Massie during one of the calls.

Cohn thanked Massie for flagging the mistake, assuring the lawmaker that the CDC would improve its vaccine messaging.

A few days later, Cohn joined other CDC doctors in an online session and claimed again that people who have had COVID-19 could still benefit from vaccination.

“Should people who’ve had COVID-19 be vaccinated and should they be vaccinated now,” Cohn asked fellow CDC doctor Sara Oliver.

“Data from both clinical trials suggests that people with prior infection are still likely to benefit from vaccination,” Oliver responded.

Massie called the CDC again after the alleged misinformation was still posted on the CDC website, resulting in agency officials agreeing that the language the CDC was using needed to be changed. Officials also assured Massie there was no intent to confuse or mislead people.

"Due to the severe health risks associated with COVID-19 and the fact that reinfection is possible, CDC recommends getting vaccinated regardless of whether you already had COVID-19 infection. Experts do not yet know how long someone is protected from getting sick again after recovering from COVID-19," the CDC told the Washington Examiner.

"However, because the risk of reinfection is low in the months after initial COVID-19 infection, while vaccine supply remains limited, people who have recent infection may choose to temporarily delay vaccination."

The language the CDC was using was eventually tweaked, but Massie said the wording still falsely implies people who have had COVID-19 can benefit from vaccination.

“And instead of fixing it, they proposed repeating it and just phrasing their mistake differently,” Massie said. “So, at that point, right now, I consider it a lie. I think the CDC is lying about the efficacy of the vaccine based on the Pfizer trials, for those who have already had the coronavirus.”

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Just for the record, it was President Trump that arranged for a partnership with CVS, Walgreens and other private pharmacies to give vaccinations. I'm actually glad to see that President Biden is following through on this idea. Many of the pharmacies are equipped to give vaccinations and already do it for seasonal shots, some have mini-clinics inside their walls too. Initially only 11 states will be involved in this pharmacy rollout, choosing states with high populations. Again, that seems like a pretty logical idea. Getting the shots into as many arms as possible as quickly as possible before the new mutations from England and South Africa become dominant seems like a good idea. But those variants are spreading quickly and could be dominant by the end of March.

FULL ARTICLE AT LINK

Biden boosting vaccine allotments, financing for virus costs

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Joe Biden’s administration announced Tuesday that it is moving to expand access to COVID-19 vaccines, freeing up more doses for states and beginning to distribute them to retail pharmacies next week. The push comes amid new urgency to speed vaccinations to prevent the spread of potentially more serious strains of the virus that has killed more than 445,000 Americans.

Starting next week, 1 million doses will be distributed to some 6,500 pharmacies across the country, the White House said. The administration is also boosting by 500,000 the weekly allocation of vaccines sent directly to states and territories for the coming weeks, up to 10.5 million. It is allowing state and local governments to receive additional federal dollars to cover previously incurred expenses relating to the pandemic.

Coronavirus coordinator Jeff Zients announced the moves on a call with the nation’s governors Tuesday morning and then detailed them to the public in an afternoon news conference.

Drugstores have become a mainstay for flu shots and shingles vaccines, and the industry is capable of vaccinating tens of millions of people monthly. “This will provide more sites for people to get vaccinated in their communities,” Zients said.

“This is a critical step to provide the public with convenient trusted places to get vaccinated in their communities,” he added.

The number of participating pharmacies and the allocation of vaccines are expected to accelerate as drug makers increase production. The White House said the ultimate goal was to distribute the vaccines through more than 40,000 pharmacies nationwide. State and local guidelines will determine who is eligible to get a shot at their neighborhood pharmacy. Availability will be limited at first.

“Getting it into pharmacies is a viable approach,” said Dan Mendelson, founder of the health care industry consulting firm Avalere Health. “The pharmacies know how to move people in and out.”

Part of the reason the vaccination campaign got off to a slow start, he added, is that states lacked their own infrastructure for mass vaccinations.

The partnership with drugstores was originally announced by the Trump administration in November. At that time, no coronavirus vaccines had been approved. Participating are major chains like CVS, Walgreens and Rite Aid, big box stores such as Walmart and Costco, and supermarket pharmacies. CVS said it will receive 250,000 doses initially, to be distributed to pharmacies in 11 states.

The pharmacy doses will be distributed to states by population...

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Our local grocery store pharmacy is administering shots. We were numbers 610 and 611 on that list. The problem is that they are only doing 10 or 12 shots a day. You do the math.

The other list we were on informed us that there were "thousands" ahead of us. When our number came up they would be in touch.

The UT Health system, the one we got an appointment with, handles it differently. They announce on the local news that they they will be receiving x-number of doses. The next day they open their registration web page and it is first come, first served. You have to be quick. As Ceee mentioned, all 1600 doses were allocated within 20 minutes.

Our local CVS pharmacy and our Walmart pharmacy aren't participating at present because they don't have the equipment to keep the vaccine frozen.

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Oregon has chosen to ignore the CDC's priority recommendations. Teachers are in the first wave. They think is more important to take care of the teacher's lobby than to vaccinate the senior population. Now the prison inmates take priority over us old farts. Wonder how bad of a crime one must commit to be an inmate?

• Wow
Reactions: Doc

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Oregon has chosen to ignore the CDC's priority recommendations. Teachers are in the first wave. They think is more important to take care of the teacher's lobby than to vaccinate the senior population. Now the prison inmates take priority over us old farts. Wonder how bad of a crime one must commit to be an inmate?
Just MY opinion, worth exactly what you paid for it, I think medical professionals, ambulance, fire & police, butchers, food production and food sales should come before teachers. Seem to me need health care, law & order, fire protection and FOOD TO EAT more than we need teachers. I'm not downplaying teachers. I love teachers. My was a teacher and we have teacher friends. But I need food. I can wait for education.

Reactions: Doc