• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Corona Virus spreading ... US official says no need to worry

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Our airport is offering covid testing at the airport itself.
They have the 15 minute result version as well as the 3-4 day result version.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thought this was interesting. We talk about the people who die. We talk about the minor symptoms and people who recover. We talk about the asymptomatic. Rarely do we talk about the people who recover partially but never actually recover.

It all started with a bad hair day.
On the morning of April 11, Amy Watson, a preschool teacher in Portland, Ore., went to get tested for Covid-19 at a drive-up site after suffering a chronic fever. She hadn’t washed her hair, so she threw on a trucker hat with a picture of a squirrel on it, snapping a selfie to share on social media.

Two days later, her test came back positive. Later that month, after connecting with others who had contracted Covid and were still experiencing a range of chronic symptoms, she decided to set up a support group on Facebook. “I was sitting in my living room, and that hat I wore in the picture was on the coffee table,” Ms. Watson told me. The trucker hat got her thinking of long-haul trucking, inspiring her to name the Facebook group “Long Haul Covid Fighters.”
im-278576

Amy Watson in the hat, and photo, that started it all.​

PHOTO: COURTESY AMY WATSON

As the group kept growing, members began calling each other “long-haulers.” People gravitated toward the term, Ms. Watson recalls, because “it was validating as a group of patients to have a name given to what we were experiencing.”

Full story at link - https://www.wsj.com/articles/long-hauler-when-covid-19s-symptoms-last-and-last-11609524809

Early on in the pandemic, medical professionals didn’t know what to make of the symptomatology of these Covid survivors and had no name for it. But by early June, the expression “long-haulers” started getting picked up in the media, beginning with an article by Ed Yong for The Atlantic, and the medical community soon took notice.

In a congressional hearing in September, Dr. Anthony Faucireported on patients who, weeks and months after recovering from Covid-19, were suffering from such debilitating symptoms as fatigue, myalgia, fever and an inability to concentrate. “They’re referred to as ‘long-haulers,’” Dr. Fauci said, giving his imprimatur to the term.
‘Even if it’s not necessarily the most scientific term, you get the gist right away.’
Now the stories of “long-haulers” have become a central component of how scientists, doctors and policymakers view long-term effects of the coronavirus. As a current article in the journal Social Science & Medicine explains, researchers are scrambling to keep up with what patients report in online support groups such as Ms. Watson’s. Co-author Elisa Perego, a research associate at University College London, is a long-hauler herself, and dubbed the post-viral condition “long Covid” on Twitter in May. Both “long-haulers” and “long Covid” are fast becoming standard terminology in the medical field.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Thought this was interesting. We talk about the people who die. We talk about the minor symptoms and people who recover. We talk about the asymptomatic. Rarely do we talk about the people who recover partially but never actually recover.

It all started with a bad hair day.​
On the morning of April 11, Amy Watson, a preschool teacher in Portland, Ore., went to get tested for Covid-19 at a drive-up site after suffering a chronic fever. She hadn’t washed her hair, so she threw on a trucker hat with a picture of a squirrel on it, snapping a selfie to share on social media.​
Two days later, her test came back positive. Later that month, after connecting with others who had contracted Covid and were still experiencing a range of chronic symptoms, she decided to set up a support group on Facebook. “I was sitting in my living room, and that hat I wore in the picture was on the coffee table,” Ms. Watson told me. The trucker hat got her thinking of long-haul trucking, inspiring her to name the Facebook group “Long Haul Covid Fighters.”​
im-278576

PHOTO: COURTESY AMY WATSON​
As the group kept growing, members began calling each other “long-haulers.” People gravitated toward the term, Ms. Watson recalls, because “it was validating as a group of patients to have a name given to what we were experiencing.”​

Full story at link - https://www.wsj.com/articles/long-hauler-when-covid-19s-symptoms-last-and-last-11609524809

Early on in the pandemic, medical professionals didn’t know what to make of the symptomatology of these Covid survivors and had no name for it. But by early June, the expression “long-haulers” started getting picked up in the media, beginning with an article by Ed Yong for The Atlantic, and the medical community soon took notice.

In a congressional hearing in September, Dr. Anthony Faucireported on patients who, weeks and months after recovering from Covid-19, were suffering from such debilitating symptoms as fatigue, myalgia, fever and an inability to concentrate. “They’re referred to as ‘long-haulers,’” Dr. Fauci said, giving his imprimatur to the term.​
‘Even if it’s not necessarily the most scientific term, you get the gist right away.’​
Now the stories of “long-haulers” have become a central component of how scientists, doctors and policymakers view long-term effects of the coronavirus. As a current article in the journal Social Science & Medicine explains, researchers are scrambling to keep up with what patients report in online support groups such as Ms. Watson’s. Co-author Elisa Perego, a research associate at University College London, is a long-hauler herself, and dubbed the post-viral condition “long Covid” on Twitter in May. Both “long-haulers” and “long Covid” are fast becoming standard terminology in the medical field.​
Bob, yes.
Of our several recovered? residents who managed to get through our first round alive, many .. but not all of them have lasting effects.
People who were once very independent, now are minimal assist to even needing the use of a mechanical lift for transfers.
Then there is what we refer to as covid brain.
Every single thing about it is heartbreaking.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter

It all started with a bad hair day.​
On the morning of April 11, Amy Watson, a preschool teacher in Portland, Ore., went to get tested for Covid-19 at a drive-up site after suffering a chronic fever. She hadn’t washed her hair, so she threw on a trucker hat with a picture of a squirrel on it, snapping a selfie to share on social media.​
Two days later, her test came back positive. Later that month, after connecting with others who had contracted Covid and were still experiencing a range of chronic symptoms, she decided to set up a support group on Facebook. “I was sitting in my living room, and that hat I wore in the picture was on the coffee table,” Ms. Watson told me. The trucker hat got her thinking of long-haul trucking, inspiring her to name the Facebook group “Long Haul Covid Fighters.”​
im-278576

PHOTO: COURTESY AMY WATSON​
As the group kept growing, members began calling each other “long-haulers.” People gravitated toward the term, Ms. Watson recalls, because “it was validating as a group of patients to have a name given to what we were experiencing.”​

In a congressional hearing in September, Dr. Anthony Faucireported on patients who, weeks and months after recovering from Covid-19, were suffering from such debilitating symptoms as fatigue, myalgia, fever and an inability to concentrate. “They’re referred to as ‘long-haulers,’” Dr. Fauci said, giving his imprimatur to the term.​
‘Even if it’s not necessarily the most scientific term, you get the gist right away.’​
Now the stories of “long-haulers” have become a central component of how scientists, doctors and policymakers view long-term effects of the coronavirus. As a current article in the journal Social Science & Medicine explains, researchers are scrambling to keep up with what patients report in online support groups such as Ms. Watson’s. Co-author Elisa Perego, a research associate at University College London, is a long-hauler herself, and dubbed the post-viral condition “long Covid” on Twitter in May. Both “long-haulers” and “long Covid” are fast becoming standard terminology in the medical field.​
I wouldn't trust anything coming out of Portland, Oregon via the WSJ. Especially a school teacher. Pure agenda driven journalism at it's worst.

We also need to be realistic about people in long term care facilities, the flu, pneumonia, covid, or any other easily transmissible disease will likely have some long term implications on this population. Some will do fine, some won't, and some will die. We can't feed the hysteria based on this population - it just doesn't make sense.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I wouldn't trust anything coming out of Portland, Oregon via the WSJ. Especially a school teacher. Pure agenda driven journalism at it's worst.

We also need to be realistic about people in long term care facilities, the flu, pneumonia, covid, or any other easily transmissible disease will likely have some long term implications on this population. Some will do fine, some won't, and some will die. We can't feed the hysteria based on this population - it just doesn't make sense.
I posted this because I have a good friend. A Dentist. Mid-50's. Got Covid in March of 20. Fairly mild case. Never needed to stay in the hospital. Had a fever, chest congestion, aches. Said it felt like a very bad case of the seasonal flu. Lasted about 10 days.

Fast forward to January 2, 2021 and he is technically "recovered" from Covid. Tests negative.

He has ZERO stamina.

His ability to work 2 days in a row is virtually nonexistent. If he works 2 days he spends 3 days in bed.

Realistically he is facing early retirement and being forced out of his 1/2 of his dental practice by his partner because he can't support the costs of carrying his half of the dental practice.

So while you keep 'not trusting' and injecting your skepticism without backing it up with facts, I have a close family friend who is suffering. He is not elderly. He did not have underlying conditions. He was healthy and vibrant the last time I had dinner at his home. He was active, in good physical shape, not a pound of extra fat on him, ate a good/healthy diet (vegetarian).

His experience with long term complications matches the OHIO STATE study of elite athletes that I had previously posted. Approximately 10% of the people who get Covid developed some long term, life altering, complications. What PirateGirl has described inside her nursing home is also similar to what this article describes and what my friend is going through. Feel free not to trust a school teacher. But don't dismiss facts.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
I posted this because I have a good friend. A Dentist. Mid-50's. Got Covid in March of 20. Fairly mild case. Never needed to stay in the hospital. Had a fever, chest congestion, aches. Said it felt like a very bad case of the seasonal flu. Lasted about 10 days.

Fast forward to January 2, 2021 and he is technically "recovered" from Covid. Tests negative.

He has ZERO stamina.

His ability to work 2 days in a row is virtually nonexistent. If he works 2 days he spends 3 days in bed.

Realistically he is facing early retirement and being forced out of his 1/2 of his dental practice by his partner because he can't support the costs of carrying his half of the dental practice.

So while you keep 'not trusting' and injecting your skepticism without backing it up with facts, I have a close family friend who is suffering. He is not elderly. He did not have underlying conditions. He was healthy and vibrant the last time I had dinner at his home. He was active, in good physical shape, not a pound of extra fat on him, ate a good/healthy diet (vegetarian).

His experience with long term complications matches the OHIO STATE study of elite athletes that I had previously posted. Approximately 10% of the people who get Covid developed some long term, life altering, complications. What PirateGirl has described inside her nursing home is also similar to what this article describes and what my friend is going through. Feel free not to trust a school teacher. But don't dismiss facts.
Not trying to be a smartass but you mentioned your friend is a vegetarian, The symptoms align with Anemia??

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Not trying to be a smartass but you mentioned your friend is a vegetarian, The symptoms align with Anemia??
He and his family are all Hindu, all health buffs, they have been life long vegetarians and very careful with their diets to make sure they have the correct balance. He is a dentist, his wife is a doctor, they know all about anemia and other things like that.

Covid is known, in a modest number of cases, to have a long term side effect of causing a thickening of the heart walls as well as some serious respiratory complications.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter

He has ZERO stamina.

You are posting anecdotal evidence as "facts". While your friend may be having issues this is not necessarily statistically relevant.

My dad died the day after getting a root canal, he was otherwise healthy for an 80 year old (actually healthier than most 80 year olds). I don't run around telling people to not get root canals.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
You are posting anecdotal evidence as "facts". While your friend may be having issues this is not necessarily statistically relevant.
This evidence, combined with first hand evidence posted by Pirate Girl, matches the medical evidence and university studies that were posted earlier in this this thread about people who get covid but do not fully recover. If you recall the studies, both indicated that roughly 33% of the athletes might never recover fully after getting complications from Covid. That 33% was later amended by the authors of the studies to approximately 10%. Other evidence and other studies seems to corroborate these studies as facts.

More info about the long term complications, this from the Mayo Clinic.

LINK--> https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases...th/coronavirus-long-term-effects/art-20490351

COVID-19 (coronavirus): Long-term effects
COVID-19 symptoms can sometimes persist for months. The virus can damage the lungs, heart and brain, which increases the risk of long-term health problems.
By Mayo Clinic Staff

Most people who have coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) recover completely within a few weeks. But some people — even those who had mild versions of the disease — continue to experience symptoms after their initial recovery.
These people sometimes describe themselves as "long haulers" and the condition has been called post-COVID-19 syndrome or "long COVID-19."

Older people and people with many serious medical conditions are the most likely to experience lingering COVID-19 symptoms, but even young, otherwise healthy people can feel unwell for weeks to months after infection. The most common signs and symptoms that linger over time include:
  • Fatigue
  • Shortness of breath
  • Cough
  • Joint pain
  • Chest pain
Other long-term signs and symptoms may include:
  • Muscle pain or headache
  • Fast or pounding heartbeat
  • Loss of smell or taste
  • Memory, concentration or sleep problems
  • Rash or hair loss

Video: Long-term symptoms, complications of COVID-19​

Organ damage caused by COVID-19​

Although COVID-19 is seen as a disease that primarily affects the lungs, it can damage many other organs as well. This organ damage may increase the risk of long-term health problems. Organs that may be affected by COVID-19 include:

• Heart. Imaging tests taken months after recovery from COVID-19 have shown lasting damage to the heart muscle, even in people who experienced only mild COVID-19symptoms. This may increase the risk of heart failure or other heart complications in the future.
  • Lungs. The type of pneumonia often associated with COVID-19 can cause long-standing damage to the tiny air sacs (alveoli) in the lungs. The resulting scar tissue can lead to long-term breathing problems.
  • Brain. Even in young people, COVID-19 can cause strokes, seizures and Guillain-Barre syndrome — a condition that causes temporary paralysis. COVID-19 may also increase the risk of developing Parkinson's disease and Alzheimer's disease.

Blood clots and blood vessel problems​

COVID-19 can make blood cells more likely to clump up and form clots. While large clots can cause heart attacks and strokes, much of the heart damage caused by COVID-19 is believed to stem from very small clots that block tiny blood vessels (capillaries) in the heart muscle.

Other parts of the body affected by blood clots include the lungs, legs, liver and kidneys. COVID-19 can also weaken blood vessels and cause them to leak, which contributes to potentially long-lasting problems with the liver and kidneys.

Problems with mood and fatigue​

People who have severe symptoms of COVID-19 often have to be treated in a hospital's intensive care unit, with mechanical assistance such as ventilators to breathe. Simply surviving this experience can make a person more likely to later develop post-traumatic stress syndrome, depression and anxiety.

Because it's difficult to predict long-term outcomes from the new COVID-19 virus, scientists are looking at the long-term effects seen in related viruses, such as the virus that causes severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS).
Many people who have recovered from SARS have gone on to develop chronic fatigue syndrome, a complex disorder characterized by extreme fatigue that worsens with physical or mental activity, but doesn't improve with rest. The same may be true for people who have had COVID-19.

Many long-term COVID-19 effects still unknown​

Much is still unknown about how COVID-19 will affect people over time. However, researchers recommend that doctors closely monitor people who have had COVID-19 to see how their organs are functioning after recovery.

Many large medical centers are opening specialized clinics to provide care for people who have persistent symptoms or related illnesses after they recover from COVID-19.
It's important to remember that most people who have COVID-19recover quickly. But the potentially long-lasting problems from COVID-19 make it even more important to reduce the spread of the disease by following precautions such as wearing masks, avoiding crowds and keeping hands clean.

Last edited:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
PG mentioned that some of the residents in her care home have, what they are referring to, as "covid brain" and there is a long term issue that does affect the brain. It is mostly common in older individuals but can strike any age. Still its most commonly prevalent in those over 70.

This from Harvard Medical, full story is at the link --> https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/the-hidden-long-term-cognitive-effects-of-covid-2020100821133

The hidden long-term cognitive effects of COVID-19

Andrew E. Budson, MDPosted October 08, 2020, 2:30 pm​
The COVID pandemic has now claimed as many American lives as World War I, the Vietnam War, and the Korean War combined. Most of these deaths are due to the well-known pulmonary complications of the coronavirus. It has become increasingly recognized, however, that the virus also attacks the nervous system. Doctors in a large Chicago medical center found that more than 40% of patients with COVIDshowed neurologic manifestations at the outset, and more than 30% of those had impaired cognition. Sometimes the neurological manifestations can be devastating and can even lead to death.​
However, new research is now suggesting that there may be long-term neurologic consequences in those who survive COVID infections, including more than seven million Americans and another 27 million people worldwide. Particularly troubling is increasing evidence that there may be mild — but very real — brain damage that occurs in many survivors, causing pervasive yet subtle cognitive, behavioral, and psychological problems.​

How COVID damages the brain​

COVID can cause damage to the brain directly by encephalitis, which may have devastating or subtle consequences. In one British study of 12 patients with encephalitis, one made a full recovery, 10 made a partial recovery, and one died. This study also found that a number of patients with COVID suffered strokes. In fact, COVID infection is a risk factor for strokes. A group of Canadian doctors found that individuals over 70 years of age were at particularly high risk for stroke related to COVID infection, but even young individuals are seven times more likely to have a stroke from this coronavirus versus a typical flu virus.​
Autopsy data from COVID patients in Finland suggests that another major cause of brain damage is lack of oxygen. Particularly worrisome is that several of the patients who were autopsied did not show any signs of brain injury during the course of their COVID infection — yet all had brain damage. In one patient there was loss of taste, and in two there was “minimal respiratory distress,” but none of these patients were thought to have any brain damage while alive.​

Major cognitive effects of COVID​

In survivors of intensive care unit (ICU) stays due to acute respiratory failure or shock from any cause, one-third of people show such a profound degree of cognitive impairment that performance on neuropsychological testing is comparable to those with moderate traumatic brain injury. In daily life, such cognitive effects on memory, attention, and executive function can lead to difficulties managing medications, managing finances, comprehending written materials, and even carrying on conversations with friends and family. Commonly observed long-term psychological effects of ICU stays include anxiety, depression, and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Effects due to COVID ICU stays are expected to be similar — a prediction that has already been confirmed by the studies in Britain, Canada, and Finland reviewed above.​

Subtle cognitive effects of COVID​

It is clear that COVID can cause brain damage by direct infection (encephalitis), by strokes, and by lack of oxygen. It is also clear that when patients experience severe illness requiring an ICU stay, brain damage is highly likely to occur, and its effects are typically obvious. But what if the COVID illness is not so severe? Can brain damage still occur?​
A Chinese group of doctors and researchers examined several aspects of cognitive function in 29 individuals who were thought to have fully recovered from COVID infection. They found persistent impairment in sustained attention — the ability to attend to important information for as long as it is relevant.​

Long-term cognitive effects of COVID infection​

Why would sustained attention be persistently impaired in individuals who were thought to have fully recovered from COVID? The Chinese group thought it might be linked to underlying inflammatory processes. But it is equally likely that patients with COVID suffered silent strokes or lack of oxygen that damaged their brains. As discussed above, strokes due to COVID are common, particularly in those over 70. We know that silent strokes frequently occur, and are a risk factor for both large strokes and dementia. Silent strokes typically affect the brain’s white matter — the wiring between brain cells that enables different parts of the brain to communicate with each other. This wiring is essential for attention, and when it is damaged, sustained attention is impaired.​

The bottom line​

There is one inevitable conclusion from these studies: COVID infection frequently leads to brain damage — particularly in those over 70. While sometimes the brain damage is obvious and leads to major cognitive impairment, more frequently the damage is mild, leading to difficulties with sustained attention.​

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
UC Davis Medical has adopted the term "Long Haulers" to describe the problems that some Covid patients seem to have, and not recover from. Now as this disease is less than 2 years old we don't know if they will ever recover or if they will suffer for the remainder of their lives.

Again, just trying to bring up part of this disease that nobody really talks much about.

The media bombards us with death counts. They try to scare us with hospitals turning people away. Few of us see that in the areas where we live but there are things we do see.

Interesting take from UC Davis VIDEO at the LINK ==> https://health.ucdavis.edu/coronavirus/covid-19-information/covid-19-long-haulers.html

Long haulers: Why some people experience long-term coronavirus symptoms Updated Dec. 8, 2020

Novel coronavirus symptoms can last weeks or months for some people. These patients, given the name "long haulers", have in theory recovered from the worst impacts of COVID-19 and have tested negative. However, they still have symptoms. There seems to be no consistent reason for this to happen.

Researchers estimate about 10% of COVID-19 patients become long haulers, according to a recent article from The Journal of the American Medical Associationand a study done by British scientists. That’s in line with what UC Davis Health is seeing.

This condition can effect anyone – old and young, otherwise healthy people and those battling other conditions. It has been seen in those who were hospitalized with COVID-19 and patients with very mild symptoms.

Common COVID-19 symptoms of long haulers​

The list of long hauler symptoms is long, wide and inconsistent. For some people, the lasting coronavirus symptoms are nothing like the original symptoms when they were first infected with COVID-19. The most common long hauler symptoms include:

• Coughing
  • Ongoing, sometimes debilitating, fatigue
  • Body aches
  • Joint pain
  • Shortness of breath
  • Loss of taste and smell — even if this didn’t occur during the height of illness
  • Difficulty sleeping
  • Headaches
  • Brain fog
Brain fog is among the most confusing symptoms for long haulers. Patients report being unusually forgetful, confused or unable to concentrate even enough to watch TV. This can happen to people who were in an intensive care unit for a while, but it’s relatively rare. However, it is happening to a variety of patients, including those who weren’t hospitalized.

Some people have reported feeling better for days or even weeks then relapsing. For others, it’s a case of just not feeling like themselves.

Why do long haulers continue to experience long-term COVID-19 symptoms?​

There's not a lot of information on long haulers, who only recently received attention from experts because it’s also so new. The vast majority of long haulers test negative for COVID-19. There’s nothing specific to test for lasting coronavirus symptoms.

One common theory about patients with long-term COVID-19 symptoms is that the virus possibly remains in their bodies in some small form. Another theory is their immune systems continue to overreact even though the infection has passed.

What is being done to help COVID-19 long haulers?​

As with many other COVID-19 issues, it’s hard to identify why something is occurring when the disease was discovered less than a year ago. Learning how to treat long haulers also requires time.

Also, because the disease is so new, much of the information about COVID-19 cases and care is anecdotal. However, that is changing.

UC Davis Health launched the region’s first Post-COVID-19 Clinic to provide streamlined, comprehensive specialty care for long haulers. We are one of only a handful of health systems in the U.S. to create a clinic that cares for these patients.

Learn more about COVID-19 long haulers

Learn more about UC Davis Health's Post-COVID-19 Clinic

Can COVID-19 long-haul symptoms cause permanent damage?​

The answer to this is not clear. Health care providers don't know how many of these symptoms are permanent, or if there is permanent damage being done. Some patients who have been seriously ill from COVID-19 develop acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS), which can permanently scar their lungs. But it’s not clear if there is any scarring for long-haulers who have respiratory issues but not at the severe level of ARDS.

Other patients with long-term loss of smell and taste worry about permanent damage, too. Experts believe that the loss of smell and taste won't be permanent. For most people, there will likely be resolution, but there isn't a clear answer as to how long this will take.

Learn about the frightening uncertainty for long-haul COVID-19 patients

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
IMO, PG's views are biased because she works directly in a high risk environment. I feel Bob's views tend to be alarmist but that is probably because he has pre-existing conditions and feels he is at a higher risk than the average person. I feel both of you need to be extra cautious because of these factors but I feel that the average healthy family should not have their liberties forcibly infringed upon.

At the end of the day, this is an engineered bio-weapon that has been released upon the world. The statistical impact for the average healthy population is not as bad as the media and certain groups want it to appear to be.

We as a free people can either adapt and learn to deal with this or continue to run around and scream that the sky is falling. I feel the latter view is non-productive and to a certain degree exactly what the left/democrats/globalist/technocrats want to see happening.

I've stated my position and will continue to state it as you are free to state yours.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Yes I'm biased because I know first hand what this particular virus is capable of, much like years in the past when a flu would go through facilities I've worked for. Only this virus is very different.
Early on, I spoke of how it was capable of getting into places even though we thought everything was up to snuff, did our contact tracing then boom, there it was again, only not as fierce as what happened last August-September.

When it gets into a healthcare setting and takes 17 of your residents like it did ours, that certainly makes you sit up and blink.
It recently did the same at the center where I was employed in Delphos, and I know the Toledo area was hit hard.

As it stands right now, it doesn't seem as bad as it was across the country, or else the media are distracted by the political garbage.

I want life to be normal again.
Everyone does.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
I'm not qualified to make medical judgments but my little theory is that overuse of antibacterials such as soaps, hand cleaners, etc weakens the immune system by preventing the system from fighting minor viruses etc and therefore the immune system lets it's guard down so to speak. Knock on wood we don't use antibacterials and both being over 70 we're still healthy. This is just my opinion and, like free advice, worth every penny you pay for it.

Ceee

Site Supporter
Dr John Campbell from England. I've quoted and referred to him many times in this thread. Good news for the UK, Probably coming to the US, Canada, and the world very soon. Cost = 3 Euro, about US$4

Easy to mass produce.
Cheap to make.
Easy to transport and distribute in normal medical supply chains.

About 25 minutes of video and worth watching.

I see that this has vaccine has started rolling out, which I think is really good news. Pfizer and Moderna are not moving at warp speed as expected. I believe the powers-that-be are even considering giving 1/2 doses of the available vaccines in order to administer it to more people.

Reactions: Doc

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The UK went on full lockdown this evening. I’ll find out from my sister what that actually means and report back. She was already under a no travel outside her area order.

Also the CDC finally admitted that some tests give a high rate of ‘false positive’ results. That will set up Biden as a hero when the new data starts coming out around Inauguration Day showing the infected numbers collapsing. Hate to sound political but I honestly believe it is political.

A US official stated there is more evidence that this is a lab created virus. Not that it matters at this point.

I’d post links to the above info but I’m tired from moving boxes into my daughters apartment. She moved out and into her first real place up in Chicago.

Last edited:

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The UK went on full lockdown this evening. I’ll find out from my sister what that actually means and report back. She was already under a no travel outside her area order.

Also the CDC finally admitted that some tests give a high rate of ‘false positive’ results. That will set up Biden as a hero when the new data starts coming out around Inauguration Day showing the infected numbers collapsing. Hate to sound political but I honestly believe it is political.

A US official stated there is more evidence that this is a lab created virus. Not that it matters at this point.

I’d post links to the above info but I’m tired from moving boxes into my daughters apartment. She moved out and into her first real place up in Chicago.
I believe the entire response to the virus is political. We've going on a year with this response. Basically mask and distancing and now in his first 100 days he's going to do something new. Masks and distancing.

Northram has added his plan. No out and about late at night travel. The time no one is out and about.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
More info on long term illnesses. This directly addressing ‘Covid brain’ as PG called it.

So we now have more factual evidence of physical changes to the body from Covid. Lung issues showing physical changes have been documented. Physical changes to the Heart have been documented. Now physical brain issues are documented.

From United Press International: https://www.upi.com/Health_News/202...-by-immune-response-study-says/5111609427419/

COVID-19 brain damage caused by immune response, study says​

Researchers report that the effects of COVID-19 on the brain appear to be caused by the immune system's response to the coronavirus, not the virus itself. File Photo by Riff/Shutterstock

Researchers report that the effects of COVID-19 on the brain appear to be caused by the immune system's response to the coronavirus, not the virus itself. File Photo by Riff/Shutterstock
Blood vessel damage and inflammation in the brains of deceased COVID-19 patients suggest the damage is not caused by the virus, but the body's immune response to it.

Researchers from the U.S. National Institutes of Health consistently found signs of damage caused by thinning and leaky brain blood vessels in tissue samples from patients who died shortly after getting COVID-19.

The researchers saw no signs of the virus in the tissue samples, which they said may mean that the damage was not caused by the virus itself.

"We found that the brains of patients who contract [COVID-19] may be susceptible to microvascular blood vessel damage. Our results suggest that this may be caused by the body's inflammatory response to the virus," said Dr. Avindra Nath, clinical director at the NIH's National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke.

"We hope these results will help doctors understand the full spectrum of problems patients may suffer so that we can come up with better treatments," he explained in an NIH news release.

For the study, Nath and his team examined brain tissue from 19 patients who died after having COVID-19.

In 16 patients, the investigators found bright spots, which contained blood vessels that were thinner than normal and sometimes leaking blood proteins into the brain. The spots were surrounded by T cells -- signs of an immune response.

In contrast, dark spots contained clotted and leaky blood vessels but no immune response.

"We were completely surprised," Nath said. "Originally, we expected to see damage that is caused by a lack of oxygen. Instead, we saw multifocal areas of damage that is usually associated with strokes and neuroinflammatory diseases."

The researchers, however, saw no signs of infection in the brain samples.

"So far, our results suggest that the damage we saw may not have been caused by the [coronavirus] directly infecting the brain," Nath said. "In the future, we plan to study how COVID-19 harms the brain's blood vessels and whether that produces some of the short- and long-term symptoms we see in patients."

The findings were published this week in the New England Journal of Medicine.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
New York issued a special warning to people ages 75 and above. As infections soar, apparently the most vulnerable are at even greater risk.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The new "KENT" strain from England seems to be about 50% more infectious than the original strain of Covid that was passed around the world. The new "SOUTH AFRICAN" strain from, obviously South Africa, is also about 50% more infectious. There are some differences between the two. From what I can gather, BOTH of these mutations come with complications for YOUNGER people. The original Covid 19 basically harmed about 1/2 of 1% people and killed far far far less than those if you were under 50 years old.

The new strains seem to affect people under 40 the way the original strain affected people over 55. And its spreading faster, much much faster.

On the bright side we now have vaccines, so with any luck we'll be able to ramp up the vaccinations to counteract the spread and stop this by early summer?

In addition to that news above, here is a partial summary from our friends at ZeroHedge:

US Reports Another Daily Case Record; COVID Deaths In UK, Germany Top 1K: Live Updates​

Summary:

• US sees record 310K new cases
  • NJ reported nearly 20K new cases
  • CA reports 50K cases
  • UK, Germany daily deaths top 1K
  • UK tops 3MM cases
  • UK deaths top 80K
  • Portugal reports 9K+ cases
  • Japan may extend emergency order
  • China moves to expedite vaccinations

Yesterday, we reported on speculation about a new hyper-infectious COVID-19 strain that could be circulating around the US. Well, mere hours after CNN shared the evidence gleaned from a Jan. 3 report from the White House coronavirus task force, members of the committee are insisting it was inaccurate. Another example of 'Fake News' reported by CNN, we suppose. But we digress...

As of Saturday morning, the the coronavirus outbreak in the US and Europe showed no signs of abating over the last 24 hours, as the US reported another record jump in new cases, according to the COVID Tracking Project.

NJ reported nearly 20K probable COVID-19 cases and CA reported over 50K cases, with both states greatly influencing the large uptick in today's total cases. In NY, 18.8K new cases were reported, with hospitalizations at a near-record 8.6K. To try and hasten the pace of vaccinations as NY falls further behind, Cuomo has again expanded the list of who is eligible, with all people 75 and older now able to receive the vaccine.

16 states in total reported their highest hospitalization numbers this week.

Germany's death toll has topped 1K for a 4th-straight day, prompting Chancellor Angela Merkel to try to hasten the pace of vaccinations. Meanwhile, in France, Emmanuel Macron is promising to have 100K of the country's most vulnerable people vaccinated by the end of the weekend. That's up from 80K as of Friday afternoon. Across the US more than 7MM people have been vaccinated.

In terms of infections, the US continues to outpace Europe, and the UK is outpacing all of its Continental peers.

Even China is intensifying is vaccine rollout plan as new lockdowns rattle Shijiazhuang, the capital of Hebei Province (situated in the northeast near Beijing). Data from trials in Brazil and Indonesia shows vaccines from SinoPharm are 78% effective, according to the Brazil trial data.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
More on complications from Covid.

Link from CBS Dallas affiliate —> https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2021/01/13...type-of-terrible-smokers-lung-weve-ever-seen/

Texas Trauma Surgeon Says ‘Post-COVID Lungs Look Worse Than Any Type Of Terrible Smokers Lung We’ve Ever Seen’​

Nicole NielsenJanuary 13, 2021 at 6:52 pm
(CBSDFW.COM) – Texas trauma surgeon Dr. Brittany Bankhead-Kendall says it’s a rarity that any of her COVID-19 patients X-rays come back without dense scarring.

In one of her Twitter posts, she says “post-covid lungs look worse than any type of terrible smokers lung we’ve ever seen.”

“Everyone’s just so worried about the mortality thing and that’s terrible and it’s awful. But man, and all the survivors and the people who have tested positive this is, it’s going to be a problem,” Dr. Bankhead-Kendall said.

Like many, she’s treated thousands of patients since March.

Of them, she tells CBS 11 News those who have had COVID-19 symptoms show a severe chest X-ray every time. And those who were asymptomatic show a severe chest X-ray 70 to 80% of the time.

“There are still people who say ‘I’m fine I don’t have any issues’ and you pull up their chest X-ray and they absolutely have a bad chest X-ray,” she said.

Here is a photo of a normal lung, smokers lung and a COVID-19 lung that Dr. Bankhead-Kendall shared with CBS 11 News.

C310CC3109FB4B12830DF25FF0E57C30.jpg

(Courtesy: Dr. Brittany Bankhead-Kendall)

The healthy lungs are clean with black representing the air. In the smokers lung, white lines are indicative of scarring and congestion. While the COVID lung is filled with white.

“You’ll either see a lot of that white dense scarring or you’ll see it throughout the entire lung. And if you’re not feeling problems now the fact that that’s on your chest X-ray It sure is indicative of you possibly having problems later on,” said Dr. Bankhead-Kendall.

She said it’s too early to know the extent of COVID-19’s impact on your body or if the scarring will heal, however she said it’s important that if you’re experiencing shortness of breath after your COVID-19 goes away, stay in touch with your primary care doctor.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
FWIW from what I can tell about 10-15% of the people who get Covid have complications and survive. Based on some research maybe 10% of those have long term issues. So maybe your chances of having heart, lung or brain complications are about 2%.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
FWIW from what I can tell about 10-15% of the people who get Covid have complications and survive. Based on some research maybe 10% of those have long term issues. So maybe your chances of having heart, lung or brain complications are about 2%.
That's accurate based on what we've continued to learn over the past almost YEAR.
Now that we're covid clear (thank God) and continue to be so, I'm hoping for some end in sight.
Looking back it's pretty much like any other virus, with those who are the most at risk. Feels like I'm saying exactly what I said from the outset.
By the way, one of our ladies who has spent months and months on a vent, feeding tube etc at St. V's in Toledo returned to us at last.
No issues other than she is now a sit to stand lift.
With PT I expect soon she will be completely mobile.
This is the best news for me personally because I absolutely adore her and clearly recall the day I sent her out thinking she would never make it.
Covid is bad, but God is stronger.
?

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The NIH has changed its guidance from being opposed to IVERMECTIN to now taking a more neutral stance. They now recommend it’s use only in clinical trials. So it’s likely a clinical trial will be started, perhaps a few of them. They will probably be completed after most of the vaccines are distributed and it’s likely we will see results sometime ahead of the next pandemic.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
And while Bank of America’s analysts focus on bad news, the number crunchers at Goldman-Sachs may have hit the truth on the head about hospitalization rates in the US

US COVID Hospitalizations Post First Drop In Months...But BofA Has Some Bad News​

Just a couple of weeks ago, while Joe Biden and Dr. Fauci were warning about a "long dark winter" ahead and encouraging local leaders in the US (along with their colleagues in the EU) to prepare for the worst to come,the COVID-19 situation internationally was looking pretty bleak.​
But as more Americans and Europeans grow increasingly skeptical of the official narrative, with many - including front-line hospital workers - declining to receive the vaccine, the most recent wave of cases and hospitalizations has packed hospitals across the country, which are desperate for a reprieve. Some 130K Covid patients are being cared for currently. Meanwhile, the country posted 213,885 cases on Tuesday, pushing the seven-day average to 246,133, Covid Tracking Project data show.​
Across the US, at least 380,825 people have died, according to Johns Hopkins University data.​
However, the number of hospitalized COVID-19 patients was roughly flat in the US this week, and likely will begin declining for the first time since September as the world heads into mid-January, despite all those warnings about the worst months lying ahead, along with the flurry of new mutated strains that purportedly infect people more quickly.​
This shift has got thousands of professionals wondering: has the outbreak finally peaked?
The numbers are now dropping compared with a week earlier in both the Northeast and Midwest, according to the Covid Tracking Project.​
In the West, they were up 0.8%, the least since Oct. 1 on a percentage basis. The South has the most alarming momentum, with an increase of 4.2% from seven days earlier.
Deaths and cases appear to finally be rolling over, but BofA is less optimistic:
As has often been the case during this crisis, there is a race going on between the negative impact of the COVID crisis and the fiscal policy offset. With the holidays behind us, there is tentative evidence that COVID cases are starting to level off. However, we do not expect much of a slowing in the next couple months. Indeed, if the new UK strain spreads, cases will probably start increasing again. Given the usual lags, hospitalizations and fatalities could trend higher for the next few weeks. As we have noted before, hospitalizations seem to be the main driver of social distancing rules, suggesting more tightening to come.

But while analysts at BofA are preoccupied with the new mutant hyperinfectious strains, a team at Goldman Sachs recently explained why hospitalizations and deaths will likely decline in the US and Europe in the coming weeks and months.
As it turns out, vaccinating long-term care facility patients first has effectively taken many of the most high-risk individuals out of harm's way.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
We're into a full province wide lockdown that's slated to be lifted by February 10th if the numbers are ok.

A stay at home order is now in effect.....unless you have to go out of course.

Stores are only allowed to open of they can offer curb side pickup. Except Walmart. You can go in there and do whatever you want.

For the first time in many years, our hospital has room and isn't filled to capacity.

We had 14 new cases of covid yesterday. 12 of them in the local jail where there was already an outbreak. 1 was in a seniors home where there was already an outbreak. One was with close contact with a previous known case.

The us/Canada border is still closed for another month so no international travel is allowed....unless you fly. Then you can go to the states. Have your vehicle shipped across the border and pick it up on the other side. Because, you know, cramming yourself onto a plane full of strangers is safer then driving your own vehicle across.

Trudeau is still bringing in plane fulls of registered voters from the middle east to ensure his re election on the next go-around.