• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Corona Virus spreading ... US official says no need to worry

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well in some glum news, particularly about the tragic toll Covid has taken on nursing homes, we've hit a new milestone. 100,000 people in nursing homes have died (combined staff & residents).

The full story is at the link.
As of the last week of November, Covid-19 has claimed the lives of more than 100,000 people who live and work in long-term care facilities in the United States, according tothe Kaiser Family Foundation's latest analysis of state-reported data.

The following chart depicts the growth in Covid-19 deaths among nursing home residents and staff in the U.S. since April. According to the Kaiser Family Foundation (KFF), 40% of the nation's Covid-19 deaths have occurred in long-term care facilities.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Bob, that agrees with my own observations here in Wood County, Texas. The death toll since March is at 53, up one from last week, and half of those deaths occurred in two long-term care facilities. The old and compromised are at serious risk from this virus. That's why we are still being cautious and taking precautions. I don't think that we are being paranoid about it, we get on with our lives, but we did cancel our RVing for this year and we don't attend any large gatherings especially with people we don't know.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Well in some glum news, particularly about the tragic toll Covid has taken on nursing homes, we've hit a new milestone. 100,000 people in nursing homes have died (combined staff & residents).

The full story is at the link.
The nursing facility where I worked prior to the present one, now have had 13 residents pass from covid.
My friend Holly who still works there messaged me 4 days ago and said Holy Jesus, I cannot believe this.
?
I knew many who passed.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
A local seniors home has become infected with the virus. Last Thursday they had 1 case. Friday, they had 3. Saturday, they had 22. Yesterday they were up to 63 cases and one death.
Once it gets into a facility it's very difficult to contain it. ?
It spreads like wildfire.
Many nursing homes have let their guard down after going weeks being covid free, then they start accepting new admissions, then guess what?
??

Lenny

SUPER Site Supporter
Many nursing homes have let their guard down after going weeks being covid free, then they start accepting new admissions, then guess what?
??
I wish people like you who work in nursing homes would be asked what additional things should be done to bring the virus down.....Bigger facilities? More staff? Different ventilation systems? Well, you know better than me.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
In one of the nursing homes in our county it appears that it was the staff that introduced it. 34 of them tested positive while only a few of the residents did. It didn't stay that way for long though and the nursing home was struggling to cope with that many staff being quarantined.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
??

Just heard on the local news they had a second fatality in the same nursing home.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
In one of the nursing homes in our county it appears that it was the staff that introduced it. 34 of them tested positive while only a few of the residents did. It didn't stay that way for long though and the nursing home was struggling to cope with that many staff being quarantined.
A transport person is who brought it into our place the first time around.
Contact tracing - boom, yep, it was him.
We continue to go through the staffing issue, but thankfully have agency nurses and aides on board.
All the PPE in the world and mindful practice seems to not be enough to keep it out.
I've lost track of how many times I've been tested but it's nearing 30 plus times.
Now that we're back to bi-weekly testing.

Rudi

A local seniors home has become infected with the virus. Last Thursday they had 1 case. Friday, they had 3. Saturday, they had 22. Yesterday they were up to 63 cases and one death.
Nope! Didn't happen! Its all fake!

Remember when Trump supporters claimed that ;

"The Day After the Election, Covid Will Disappear"​

I bet a lot of them on this forum claimed that very thing. How long before they claim they were just joking?

LOL

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Nope! Didn't happen! Its all fake!

Remember when Trump supporters claimed that ;

"The Day After the Election, Covid Will Disappear"​

I bet a lot of them on this forum claimed that very thing. How long before they claim they were just joking?

LOL
Moderator hat back on, just so you know, and this is a fair warning, we allow a lot of leeway in the POLITICAL debate area but we won’t tolerate nasty attitudes in other areas. Don’t be a jerk. This is not part of the political discussion area.

And just to show you how ignorant you can be, you responded to a Canadian member, talking about a care home in Canada, so probably a safe bet it’s not full of Trump voters.

Be civil. We celebrate differing views. But don’t expect us to tolerate bad behavior.

Ceee

Site Supporter
I think things will start looking up shortly. From what I heard on the news this morning, Moderna's vaccine sounds pretty promising...fingers crossed.

Edit to Add: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/30/health/covid-vaccine-moderna.html

The drugmaker Moderna announced highly encouraging results on Monday, saying that complete data from a large study show its coronavirus vaccine to be 94.1 percent effective, a finding that confirms earlier estimates.

The company said that it applied on Monday to the Food and Drug Administration to authorize the vaccine for emergency use, and that if approved, injections for Americans could begin as early as Dec. 21.

The hopeful news arrives at a particularly grim moment in the U.S. health crisis. Coronavirus cases have surged and overwhelmed hospitals in some regions, and health officials have warned that the numbers may grow even worse in the coming weeks because of travel and gatherings for Thanksgiving.

The new data from Moderna show that its study of 30,000 people has met the scientific criteria needed to determine whether the vaccine works. The findings from the full set of data match an analysis of interim data released on Nov. 16 that found the vaccine to be 94.5 percent effective.

The study also showed that the vaccine was 100 percent effective at preventing severe disease from the coronavirus. The product was developed in collaboration with government researchers from the Vaccine Research Center at the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.

Last edited:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I think things will start looking up shortly. From what I heard on the news this morning, Moderna's vaccine sounds pretty promising...fingers crossed.
I hope so.

Having a distribution background it seems like vaccination of the majority of the public will be a logistical nightmare but, if done in stages, could probably be accomplished by mid-2021 IF THE SUPPLIES of vaccines are actually available where they need to be.

Seems like FIRST RESPONDERS (nurses, doctors, etc) should likely be first.
Then move on the ELDERLY and/or anyone with 2 or more co-morbidities like Diabetes, Obesity, COPD, etc
Then move on to those over 55 and/or anyone with 1 co-morbidity
Then open it up to everyone

The fact that most of these require 2 shots complicates the logistics.

Ceee

Site Supporter
I hope so.

Having a distribution background it seems like vaccination of the majority of the public will be a logistical nightmare but, if done in stages, could probably be accomplished by mid-2021 IF THE SUPPLIES of vaccines are actually available where they need to be.

Seems like FIRST RESPONDERS (nurses, doctors, etc) should likely be first.
Then move on the ELDERLY and/or anyone with 2 or more co-morbidities like Diabetes, Obesity, COPD, etc
Then move on to those over 55 and/or anyone with 1 co-morbidity
Then open it up to everyone

The fact that most of these require 2 shots complicates the logistics.
I agree. It's not going to be easy. I was wondering about all the red tape that Moderna would have to plow through. Since it's an emergency use, maybe the powers that be will cut some slack in approval. I'm hoping so.

I also agree that first responders should be first, but I *think* I heard on the news this morning that the state and local authorities would be the ones to decide on who gets it first.

Honestly, I'm not sure that I would get the vaccine right now even if it were available to me. If I were diagnosed with covid, I might change my mind.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Honestly, I'm not sure that I would get the vaccine right now even if it were available to me. If I were diagnosed with covid, I might change my mind.
Honestly I think its a 'risk' thing that will lead people to decide.

Younger healthier people have very low risk of complications. That changes with age. It also changes with weight. It also changes with co-moridities like the various auto-immune diseases, diabetes, any sort of lung disease, etc.

Not sure I'd get it if I was 35 and healthy.

But at 60 and with auto-immune disorders I'm looking for a vaccine.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Honestly I think its a 'risk' thing that will lead people to decide.

Younger healthier people have very low risk of complications. That changes with age. It also changes with weight. It also changes with co-moridities like the various auto-immune diseases, diabetes, any sort of lung disease, etc.

Not sure I'd get it if I was 35 and healthy.

Im 62 active and healthy with no co morbidity and I'm on the fence, I would like to see what happens in the long term after people have taken it. Im not a anti Vaccer just want to be cautious. If I got COVID and was having complications, I would take it in a second. Only time will tell.

Ceee

Site Supporter
The vaccine is supposed to become available here sometime within the next 2-3 weeks.
I can't say I'll exactly be pushing myself to the front of the line, but I'll get the damn thing.
If I were in your shoes, I sure would get the vaccine. Anybody who comes into contact regularly with someone who has covid would be smart to get the vaccine in my opinion. If I had anyone in my household or any immediate family with covid, I'd get it too.

Edit to Add: If you don't want to answer this, I'm okay with no answer. Where did you get the info that the vaccine would be available within the next 2-3 weeks? I thought the news people were maybe being too overly optimistic, but sure hoped not. Just curious. I'm so ready for something positive to finally happen.

Last edited:

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
If I were in your shoes, I sure would get the vaccine. Anybody who comes into contact regularly with someone who has covid would be smart to get the vaccine in my opinion. If I had anyone in my household or any immediate family with covid, I'd get it too.

Edit to Add: If you don't want to answer this, I'm okay with no answer. Where did you get the info that the vaccine would be available within the next 2-3 weeks? I thought the news people were maybe being too overly optimistic, but sure hoped not. Just curious. I'm so ready for something positive to finally happen.
Our governor announced that Ohio would be receiving it's first batch from Pfizer around December 15th.
?

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter

I'm with Melensdad, I'm 73-years old with conditions that are kept under control by meds but put me in the high risk category. I'm waiting for the vaccine. My wife who is also 73-years old but with no pre-existing conditions is on the fence about the vaccine but is leaning towards not getting it because she is allergic to so many drugs.

I'm not sure about this but I don't know that waiting until you test positive and then taking the vaccine will be of any benefit. That's not how vaccines usually work. Perhaps PG can weigh in on that.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm with Melensdad, I'm 73-years old with conditions that are kept under control by meds but put me in the high risk category. I'm waiting for the vaccine. My wife who is also 73-years old but with no pre-existing conditions is on the fence about the vaccine but is leaning towards not getting it because she is allergic to so many drugs.

I'm not sure about this but I don't know that waiting until you test positive and then taking the vaccine will be of any benefit. That's not how vaccines usually work. Perhaps PG can weigh in on that.
You have to have the vaccine about a MONTH BEFORE you are actually exposed for the vaccine to work.

The vaccine will not cure covid if you have covid.

It is designed to do 2 things. REDUCE symptoms and complications IF you get a high dose exposure. STOP you from getting covid if you have a low dose exposure.

Lenny

SUPER Site Supporter
I'm wondering about the vaccine too but If doctors and nurses are going to be first and not afraid of it,I'm thinking it should be okay to take.

Ceee

Site Supporter
On the news yesterday, they showed some footage of caregivers (in Chicago, I think) on strike. They were striking for better working conditions, more PPE equipment, a pay raise for hazardous working conditions, and maybe some other stuff that wasn't mentioned or maybe I just missed.

This morning three past presidents, Clinton, Obama, and Bush, came out and said that they would publicly get the vaccine once it has been approved.

Now the education dept in Tx is pushing for all the teachers and staff to be some of the first to receive the vaccine.

What's next :blink:

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm wondering about the vaccine too but If doctors and nurses are going to be first and not afraid of it,I'm thinking it should be okay to take.
I wouldn't say I'm not feeling a little wary.
I've had reactions to the flu vax a couple of times.
Healthcare workers and the elderly in nursing homes are going to be first according to DeWine.
I don't mind being a guinea pig as it were, but I'm also thinking of reactions in those more susceptible and sensitive.