• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Corona Virus - school

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I'm not sure what's been happening with school down in the states but up in Canada, the kids all left school last Friday thinking that they were just going to be off a week for march break. Shortly after, it was announced that the schools would remain closed until April 5th to help prevent the spread of the virus.

This was confusing to most children as they want to see their friends. They want to have sleepovers etc. Even birthday parties. All of that has been put on hold.

Now, other provinces have already indicated that school will be done for the year. See you in September. This is based on what is happening in China. They are 3 months into this and the virus is finally starting to slow it's spread. Most people are on lockdown and if they go out, they have masks and gloves on.

What are your thoughts/predictions? When do you think this will be over and people can get back to normal.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
They are 3 months into this and the virus is finally starting to slow it's spread.
Wuhan is closer to 4 or 4.5 months into this mess, not 3 months.

I started hearing about it right after Christmas with drop in factory production in China hitting the financial papers. China officially puts the start of the virus as early December. Reports now indicate they hid the problem for 30 days because they couldn't identify it so that dates this to early November. Early November makes sense if the production reports were showing plummeting numbers shortly after Christmas.

So I'm thinking 4.5 months is what China has faced.

That said, each of the US states determines what it does with each of its local school systems. Indiana closed its schools. Other states have done the same, but not all as some states have fewer problems. Some schools may be closed for a few weeks, others for the remainder of the school year. It's up to local and state governments to decide.

I expect that all schools will eventually close for the rest of this semester.

Some of our universities have already announced they are cancelling graduation ceremonies in mid-May. Universities are separate from our K-12 education system our elementary & high schools may follow very different paths than our universities.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
All schools are closed in Vermont. Daycare only for first responder and healthcare worker children.

Supermarkets opening at 6AM for seniors only until 7 or 8AM.

All restaurants, bars, clubs closed except for take out but who wants possibly infected food from poor handling techniques. Not this old fart I can tell you that. My wife and I seem to have plenty of time these days for cooking.

I got my annual physical one day before my doctor shut down all non essential appointments. Luck of the draw there, but my next haircut looks like it will be missed and the state just mandated all non essential dental appointments be cancelled so there goes my next cleaning. Looks like my wife will be giving me my next haircut, so gotta find a large bowl to fit my noggin.

Drive thru testing starts this week at the Wally World parking lot so apparently they are getting more test kits. No need for us to be there at this point.

I plan on cutting some fire wood this week or early next week so no trouble keeping busy if I so desire.

Life is good on this end. We are virus free, stocked up on supplies and necessary items to maintain.

I hope everyone here is doing equally well and maintaining. God keep you all healthy and safe.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
The schools here are closed.
My little grandies are out of pre and kindergarten.
Eldest is off from Four County Career Center.
There are enrichment courses online.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
New York City mayor de Blasio finally ordered the schools closed. Way too late.

I don't believe that New York governor Cuomo has ordered the schools closed but is rather leaving it up to local districts in the state to make their own choices.

Leadership from behind.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Schools closed for 6 weeks. Everything closing or on restricted hours.

Rumor is they will be closing all medical offices and telling them to ship their supplies to the hospitals.

Interesting times.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
All schools in Indiana are closed to May 1 by order of Gov Holcomb

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
This posting from the ManiYAC Teen Center in Idaho.
FB_IMG_1584649174827.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
My gutt says that the kids are done school until September.

Up here, they closed the schools until April 5th but it's looking very likely that will be extended. And realistically, say they do go back the first or second week in may. They don't do much of anything in june other than watching movies anyways so is it really worth going back after a month and a half for 2 weeks of actual learning? See you in September.

The last 2 years are very hard for everyone and almost the world was shut down due the Covid 19 ...
Yeah! And we complain but think about the chinese who had to suffer the zero covid policy, and now they have to suffer the consequences of a massive outbreak after such a long period of no mixing and mediocre vaccine quality ;)

PGBC

Yeah! And we complain but think about the chinese who had to suffer the zero covid policy, and now they have to suffer the consequences of a massive outbreak after such a long period of no mixing and mediocre vaccine quality ;)

Shit is getting DEEP in here.