• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Cleaning the shop

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My main New Year's Resolution is to clean and organize my "stuff", primarily the contents of my buildings.

Having gone through my elderly relatives shops whom have since passed or have gotten a medical condition whereby they couldn't maintain their "stuff", I understand what it takes to go through garages and buildings to sort decades of shop possessions. My buildings were in reasonable shape 10-20 years ago but I've also taken possession of said relatives "stuff".

So, my shop and buildings are stuffed to the point where I barely have walking trails through the areas. My workbench's and just about every flat spot have been covered 6-12" deep of items that have just been set there over time. If something should happen to me, I don't want my family and friends to have to deal with it.

Starting in January, I took on the project. I'm starting with the main "shop" part of the first building. I'm a month in and have finally gotten that area almost done. I've gone through every shelf, drawer and otherwise and have cleaned and organized all. I'm pleased that there wasn't "junk" (as opposed to "stuff"). In 1 month, I've filled about 1 garbage can and half of that is probably all the baby wipes and rags I've used to clean.

It does take quite a bit of time. In general, to clean the workbench and the shelves above it, it took about 1 hour per linear foot of surface. I've been doing toolbox drawers the last couple days and it takes about 1 hour per drawer.

Every item gets individual attention. This includes cleaning, any rust removed, must be fully operational... Flashlights got new batteries as needed, every piece of paper evaluated and discarded or properly filed. (There were piles of papers, manuals and such).

I felt sorrow when I was cleaning out my cordless tools. I have 10+ DeWalt XRP cordless tools. Was cleaning them and putting back, pondering what to do with them as I only have 1 aftermarket battery (which is shit) to operate them. Do I sell or keep? Dug deeper in the area and found a brand new battery and charger. YEA! Now I can actually use them again.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I can relate. My shop has ALWAYS been on the "to do" list and in various states of clutter of junk that should be tossed but as soon as I do, I'll need it a week later. When we moved in here in 2019, my shop was the storage area for boxes until we unpacked. Then the house became priority. I have slowly worked on it and was making progress when my dad passed away in 2021 and I inherited half his shop. Thankfully we have an attached garage that had nothing in it as far as tools. So now I have a heated garage stocked with a full chest of tools, air compressor and such attached to the house and my shop which is also fully stocked for whatever mechanical, woodworking, or other project I have going on.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've got 12,000 square feet of shop
That was another issue that plagued the state of my shop. When I had my bunker which was around 18,000 sq/ft, I'd store a lot of things in there. When I sold it, everything that was in there needed to come home. My truck lost its bay in the building for a few months while I sold or organized what came back home.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
While down in Florida last month and following my resolution to clean shops/garages, I did our garage down there as well.
First pic is doing the priming. The brown color seemed dingy.
image7.jpeg

New color is applied to the right side.
image6.jpeg

Walls painted, floor is next.
image5.jpeg

All done. Pardon the darkness in this pic. Different phone and taken closer to dusk. It's much brighter than pictured.

20230115_140112.jpg

Last edited:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
For my current shop cleaning project:
A portion of my workbench before I started.
20221116_141639.jpg

The workbench now. Yea, all the shelves look chaotic but they are in fact organized.

20230201_133848.jpg

Another pic after cleaning. I couldn't close the lids on those toolboxes for probably a decade. There was no floor space either. Again, the shelves look chaotic but they are organized. Everything in the black cabinet was removed, cabinet cleaned, contents cleaned then put back in organized by contents.

20230201_132347.jpg