• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Changes once you hit 60 or 70 ...

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I asked a friend who has crossed 70 & is heading towards 80 what sort of changes he is feeling in himself? He sent me the following:
1 After loving my parents, my siblings, my spouse, my children and my friends, I have now started loving myself.
2 I have realized that I am not “Atlas”. The world does not rest on my shoulders.
3 I have stopped bargaining with vegetable & fruit vendors. A few pennies more is not going to break me, but it might help the poor fellow save for his daughter’s school fees.
4 I leave my waitress a big tip. The extra money might bring a smile to her face. She is toiling much harder for a living than I am.
5 I stopped telling the elderly that they've already narrated that story many times. The story makes them walk down memory lane & relive their past.
6 I have learned not to correct people even when I know they are wrong. The onus of making everyone perfect is not on me. Peace is more precious than perfection.
7 I give compliments freely & generously. Compliments are a mood enhancer not only for the recipient, but also for me. And a small tip for the recipient of a compliment, never, NEVER turn it down, just say "Thank You.”
8 I have learned not to bother about a crease or a spot on my shirt. Personality speaks louder than appearances.
9 I walk away from people who don't value me. They might not know my worth, but I do.
10 I remain cool when someone plays dirty to outrun me in the rat race. I am not a rat & neither am I in any race.
11 I am learning not to be embarrassed by my emotions. It’s my emotions that make me human.
12 I have learned that it's better to drop the ego than to break a relationship. My ego will keep me aloof, whereas with relationships, I will never be alone.
13 I have learned to live each day as if it's the last. After all, it might be the last.
14 I am doing what makes me happy. I am responsible for my happiness, and I owe it to myself. Happiness is a choice. You can be happy at any time, just choose to be!
I decided to share this for all my friends. Why do we have to wait to be 60 or 70 or 80, why can't we practice this at any stage and age?

Kaper

Great post !! I'm pushing 80 with a short stick and I've also given a lot of thought to my life (or what's left of it), I have an 'A' personallity and I make every effort to mellow out and it feels a lot better. Thanks for sharing those thoughts.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Doc. I am 73-years old and the road in front of me is a lot shorter than the road behind me. I have already adopted quite a few of those suggestions, not all, but some. Some I don't think that I'll ever master.

Reactions: Doc

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Doc. I am 73-years old and the road in front of me is a lot shorter than the road behind me. I have already adopted quite a few of those suggestions, not all, but some. Some I don't think that I'll ever master.
I'm right there with ya. Just 5 behind you. And much the same. Some I've taken to heart others ...well, I try.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I cannot help but wonder how this advice its with young people. The young take life too seriously.

I would suggest that one has to bruised, battered, and old to realize one does not have to be bruised and battered to get old.

The post starts off with a suggestion of self indulgent, but then advises a life of looking to the better interests of others as a means of indulging in oneself.

Clever. I like it.

Ross 650

Site Supporter
Howdy,
gonna hit 81 next month. Seems like things that I used to worry and fret about just dont make a second thought any more. Still getting around spritely and feeling good. Have a goodun!!!!!!

Ceee

Site Supporter
I realize this is kind of an old post, but it's fitting for this time of the year.

"I stopped telling the elderly that they've already narrated that story many times. The story makes them walk down memory lane & relive their past."

I never, ever said that to my mother. I may have heard the same story a million times, but I never corrected her. If anybody did that to her, I would jump on them like a rabid monkey.

Ceee

Site Supporter
Howdy,
gonna hit 81 next month. Seems like things that I used to worry and fret about just dont make a second thought any more. Still getting around spritely and feeling good. Have a goodun!!!!!!
Good for you, Ross! I hope I can say the same when I reach 80. Right now, I'm just hoping I get there.