• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

CAT TDTO oil

snowcatt

Hi I'm thinking of putting Cat TDTO oil in my Bombardier Bombi diff
I am in canada and in the winter if it will start I'll use it .Should I go with 10W or 30 W any idea's

Snowcat Pat

We just got our first Bombi, been going through it mechanically. I'm asking the same question because I see a hypoid ring and pinion in there with the wet brake bands. The hypoid gears call for 90W EP, GL-5 oil, the brake bands call for TDTO. I'm guessing it might be better to go with 30W or even 50W TDTO oil. But then will it flow thru the filter/cooler?
All the other diffs I've worked on have spiral bevel ring and pinion, much less sliding action.
-Pat

snowcatt

Hi Boggie
The guy at Cat said I should use W10 thats why I'm getting other input .
I thought it was a bit light. I was trying to find out if Cat TDOT has friction modifier in it like the Ams oil does. Cat oil is $125 5 gal Amsoil $225 5 Gal

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
For many years Bombardier was telling customers to use Dextron/mercron tranny fluid. And for many years we kept selling ring and pinions it was to light if you shop around you can do much better on the prices the way I look at it from a performance and life of equipment stand point a hundred bucks it worth it you only need about 2.5 gallons JMHO

TbayBombi

Hi All,

New to the forum.

We are rebuilding a 1973 J5 for the second time... well new motor this time round...

anyway, we are trying to sort out what to drop in the diff this time for oil.

What are you guys running these days?

We are in Thunder Bay Ontario and most use will be in the winter, say -30deg C to +10deg C

Is the Amsoil Powershift Transmission CTJ a good choice?

WE have heard that the wrong fuild will not olny cause wear issues but streeting problems as well.

Thanks !
lots of good info on here.

Bryan

Dr. Zaugg

By the way.... Use the GENUINE Cat oil! Not something at pep boys that says it is the same. IT IS NOT!!! John Deere's Hy-Guard oil is excellent too.
COOP oil used to be BAD BAD BAD for this application.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
the amzoil will work well for you I have used it successfully in my thiokol 2100 and also a bombi.

akimp

I use CAT TDMO in my J5 with good results compared to the original gear oil. Im still having problems with steering to the left and it seems like the brake band was bent a little causing the brake band to only apply friction to some of the braking surface. Anybody have problems with tweeking the brake bands when re-installing the diff? Thanks

J5 Bombardier

I've been running case , shell oils, trans / diff with good results . I wouldn't consider them a majic bullet for steering issues though, a good look at the drums for scouring and bands. Lots of material on a band is fine but they could be overheated [glazed] . The old diesel flush trick, might help , but usually the bands need to be swapped. Just my opinion:hammer:
J5 Bombardier