• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Carb information please... Thiokol 1202B

rockaukum

Thiokol 1202B, 200 CI with four speed transmission.
Does not seem to want to idle unless the choke is partially open.
The carb is tagged with "Autolite DOJJ F"
Anyone have the basic starting settings for this carb?
Was running good prior but I replaced the starter recently and may have hit something. All the linkages appear to be okay but still does not want to idle with the choke off.
Any help will be appreciated.
Rockaukum

Attachments

• PXL_20220802_233108179.jpg
    PXL_20220802_233108179.jpg
    570 KB · Views: 70

zspryte

Site Supporter
Having to put the choke on to idle suggests its not getting enough fuel at normal idle or the idle speed is too low. Check the screw/linkage on the idle speed screw. Turn the screw to increase the idle RPMs and see if it helps. Just count the turns. Next, explore the idle fuel screw. With the engine off, turn the idle screw in slowing counting the turns until it gently seats, and then back it out the same number of turns. Write down the number of turns. See if this helped - it can dislodge debris. If not, open the screw a half turn and check. Opening the screw allow more fuel to flow at idle. Repeat several times but don't go more than about two total turns from where it started. If this helps, the idle circuit likely has debris in it.

The carb hit might have loosened debris that lodged somewhere it the idle circuit. If you can get the engine running at a higher RPM with the choke open a bit, spray carb cleaner down the throat. This can clean debris where the ports meet the throat. Debris is other places will require a disassembly and cleaning the idle passages with air or a thin wire.

The hit could have opened the gap around either the choke or throttle shafts where they go through the carb body. This would allow air to sucked in and mess things up.

I saw a mechanic clean debris out of the idle port on my cat by reeving up the engine high and putting his hand quickly over the entire air inlet stopping all air into the engine. The vacuum from the engine sucked the debris out. He warned me that sometimes it works and sometimes it jams the debris in tighter.

I am not a carb expert nor claim to be one -

rockaukum

zsprite, Thanks for the response. I ended up visiting a mechanic friend and he basically suggested the same.
Here is what I did;
I removed the air fuel mix screw completely. Sprayed carb cleaner into air fuel mix hole. As it seems, debris can clog the small passageways. Then sprayed cleaner into the throat and saw that the cleaner flowed out the air fuel hole. I then reinserted the screw to seat lightly, then backed it out two turns. Started the motor and got it to run (choke still on) and began adjusting the screw inwards. Starter with 1/4 turn then 1/8 turns. Still not running correct. I read on the net about the vacuum line and to pull it and plug the hole to see if it ran smoother. I pulled the hose, plugged the hole and no difference. I thought I'd check the hose for holes or cracks. Pulling it off the distributer, I noticed that the distributor was loose as it spun a little! So now I am focused on the distributor, adjusting it I found the motor to run smoother. Went back to the air fuel mixture then was able to shut the choke off completely. Success!
Now I will have the mechanic put a timing light on it to get the motor all set.
If I remember correctly, the screw is set at 1 3/8 turns out form seat.
rockaukum