• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Can Lynn Swann & blacks win with/for the GOP and change America?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
African Americans vote overwhelmingly for Democrats, what is not commonly known is the fact that the Democrats haven’t won a majority of the white vote in a presidential election in over 40 years. In a country that is 2/3rds white (with a voting demographic that is over 70% white) that is what I would call a political problem.

Now we see former NFL player Lynn Swann running neck & neck with Penn Governor Ed Rendell, some polls have Swann pulling ahead by a couple percentage points in the polls for the upcoming Governor's race.

Add to that, Ken Blackwell is an African American running for Governor in Ohio, and while his chances are not as good as Swann's in winning the race, Ohio is a key state in politics and to have a prominant Black running on the GOP ticket may be a problem for the Democrats. As if the Democrats need another strike against them, African American Michael Steel is running in Maryland for state office as well.

Now look at the numbers. The Democrats typically get about 93% of the the Black vote. They have very little chance of gaining any ground since they effectively have the African American vote locked up. The GOP, on the other hand, can cause major problems for the Democrats if they only gain a small % of the total Black vote and that seems ever more likely given the candidates that are going to be running on the GOP ticket in 2006.

The liberals have traditionally held a stranglehold on the Black vote largely through the use of entitlement programs, but African Americans who vote are far more conservative socially than many would believe and the traditional use of entitlements may be losing its grip on the voting block.

Any thoughts? Will the Democrats move closer to the center to retain the Black vote that may slip over to the GOP? Will African Americans vote for a Black GOP member in great numbers? Given that the Democrats have already lost the majority of the white vote, are they doomed to the political fringe if only 10-to-15% of the non-Republican Blacks switch parties when they vote this year?

I see a very interesting year.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
I think most people are waking up to the Dems BS. All nationalities, races, etc. You just can't keep promising the world forever and not delivering.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
He'll win the governorship but he won't be able to carry the Republican vote to the presidential election. PA is a union state and will continue to support a Democratic president! Even the minority Swann won't change that culture.........

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
Bob, Being from Pennsylvania ,and a Democrat, I'll be Voting for Lynn Swann .
Why ? Just to see if the change shakes up our state goverment ..

Gatorboy

B_Skurka said:
African Americans vote overwhelmingly for Democrats

If a white person from South Africa moves to the US and becomes a citizen ... would that person be an African American?

Why the term "African" in front of American? I guess I should refer to myself as a German-American and my neighbor as an Irish American, and the guy across the street as an Italian American. Boy, this is going to get confusing.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Gatorboy said:
If a white person from South Africa moves to the US and becomes a citizen ... would that person be an African American?

Why the term "African" in front of American? I guess I should refer to myself as a German-American and my neighbor as an Irish American, and the guy across the street as an Italian American. Boy, this is going to get confusing.

Well, I'm a native American. I was born here. By definition, that makes me a native American. For some reason the election board doesn't understand me obeying their written rules.

dzalphakilo

Banned
Gatorboy said:
Why the term "African" in front of American?

How about the term "black" if the person has black skin? Actually I've been told that a "correct" slang for a black person is now "nigah" which denotes "brother" (although I still wouldn't use that term:eek: ). I given this information by three different people who I consider friends and are African american (black skin) and each one didn't know each other (although the oldest of the three, mid forties wasn't sure if he agreed with this new "term", he said it is commonly used among blacks).

I did notice that Bob used "black" to describe the "African americans" that Gatorboy asked about. Per Junkman I will leave that one alone.

Talked with my father and four cousins who still live in Pa. They all mentioned that they will most likely vote for Swann not because he is black, but because he will be against Rendell.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
dzalphakilo said:
most likely vote for Swann not because he is black, but because he will be against Rendell.
Amen...

I still haven't figured out how Rendell got the position in the first place. Screw up Philadelphia (big time) and they give you the entire state as the consolation prize?!?!?

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
bczoom said:
Amen...

I still haven't figured out how Rendell got the position in the first place. Screw up Philadelphia (big time) and they give you the entire state as the consolation prize?!?!?
Can You say UNION ,and ENTITLEMEMENT Vote ?? One side has nothing to lose, the other has everything to gain . Does that statement seem a bit over simplistic ? Probably, but that seems to be the way it is in the Peoples republic of Pa . JMHO, John

HGM

dzalphakilo said:
How about the term "black" if the person has black skin? Actually I've been told that a "correct" slang for a black person is now "nigah" which denotes "brother" (although I still wouldn't use that term:eek: ). I given this information by three different people who I consider friends and are African american (black skin) and each one didn't know each other (although the oldest of the three, mid forties wasn't sure if he agreed with this new "term", he said it is commonly used among blacks).

I did notice that Bob used "black" to describe the "African americans" that Gatorboy asked about. Per Junkman I will leave that one alone.

Talked with my father and four cousins who still live in Pa. They all mentioned that they will most likely vote for Swann not because he is black, but because he will be against Rendell.

I realize this isnt really what this thread is about, but I have to ask... Am I the only one that thinks this is the utmost in segragation? To purposly demand that one be identified as different from another person to whom they(their leaders) have faught many years to become equal to....:pat:

I just dont get it, if one wants to be accepted as an equal, they should stop trying to be as different as possible.... Maybe I'm just a dumb white guy...

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
HGM said:
I realize this isnt really what this thread is about, but I have to ask... Am I the only one that thinks this is the utmost in segragation? To purposly demand that one be identified as different from another person to whom they(their leaders) have faught(fought ) many years to become equal to....:pat:

I just dont get it, if one wants to be accepted as an equal, they should stop trying to be as different as possible.... Maybe I'm just a dumb white guy...
Why would You ask that ? You seem to be the one that is sensitive to color .
Personally I see color as transparent . It's fairly obvious . But. I certainly don't find it an indicator of intelligence ,or integrity . Quit apologizing for your,or any other race . BTW what "color " am I ?????? BTW the off handed term "nigah " was found very offensive , but not very discrtiptive if that is some hint to You .

Last edited:

Gerard

"You have to"
Site Supporter
Gatorboy said:

Well, I AM an American of polish descent. Why the African before the American is a good question. Maybe that phrase fits alphabetically?, but I think it goes waaaayyyyyy back, probably to ROOTS. :eek:

HGM

nixon said:
Why would You ask that ? You seem to be the one that is sensitive to color .
Personally I see color as transparent . It's fairly obvious . But. I certainly don't find it an indicator of intelligence ,or integrity . Quit apologizing for your,or any other race . BTW what "color " am I ?????? BTW the off handed term "nigah " was found very offensive , but not very discrtiptive if that is some hint to You .

:yum: Well, I find that quite laughable....:yum:

Did you read my post???

When I see a "black guy"(sorry I refuse to use the distinction of African American, dont mean to offend by it either), I see another man.. I treat him as another man, regardless of where his roots are.. Frankly it offends me when I watch the news and see all this political correctness tearing this country apart.. To see the mayor of New Orleans making his speach the other day basicly displaying his racism by calling for a "chocolate" city, was uncalled for.. This implies that to have white people there would be unacceptable.. If it was the other way around, Jesse Jackson, Al sharpton and Luis Faracon, would tear it up..

I have also seen on the news in the past, a reporter in Africa reporting a story of a basketball player who returned to his homeland to visit all the other "African Americans":pat: ...

The political correctness is not necessary, why cant we all be Americans??? We can each have our lineage to be proud of, but we are Americans if we live here....I realize all the history and trouble blacks have gone through, and no I canot say I have experienced it myself(neither can a large portion of the black population), but I fully respect you for it.... My issue comes whe I see folks that refuse to move one, if a man(or woman) applies themselves(regardless of race) they can succede.. My last couple of boss' have been men, though they have also happened to be black.. I dont have a problem with it, in my opinion its an observation, not a title....

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Its interesting to me that people are going to be voting FOR Lynn Swann, not because he is Republican, but rather because he is opposing Rendell. But more interesting is how many Blacks/African Americans will vote switch parties and vote for Swann (for whatever reason, some may do it to support a fellow Black, others may do it because they like his message, etc). But the fact is that if the Republicans can gain roughly 15% of the Black vote then the Democrats will start to lose in landslides all over the map.

Voter demographics are what this is all about. Women also tend to vote a bit more Democratic. Condi Rice may be someone who can help change that? I'm not saying it is going to be a cake walk for the GOP but the Democrats better wake up.

---as for the discussion about the term African American or the term Black. I use them interchangably but the fact is that the discussion started by talking about a sub-group of the total population. It is difficult to talk about sub-groups without identifying them. We could just as easily talk about Catholic-Irish Americans and how they are overwhelmingly Democrats.

TINGUY

I think the issue as to if /why they would change parties to vote for a Black/African America is based on an assumed like experience. I.E. they have shared the same pains of being a minority. I would find it hard to swallow that any persons mentioned as running for office in this thread has shared the same life experience as 99% of the people that may vote for them on the basses they may have shared life experience's.

I think you will find also Minorities tend not to vote for Minorities of a different group even though there group has likely suffered discrimination also.

Maybe the question should be will a group that normally votes with one party change parties to vote for someone in there own group. The statistics seem to say that in the original post by Bob, Maybe he asked and answered the question as it appears in general all groups do this.

No doubt times are changing and the Democratic party has lost its way. In that the party was based on entitlements I see this as a positive, I also feel uneasy with all the power in one party.. In fact I think it is starting to show with the lobby scandal. The pendulum continues to swing in one direction!

beds

Are Americans generally Democrat or Republican? I mean lifetime? I find here that a party will stay in power until they have fed up the electorate and then a change will occur. Not necessarily because of policy. Similar to Clinton/Lewinski and Watergate. It doesn't surprise me that someone would vote across parties to ensure someone doesn't get re-elected. I see that happeneing here all the time.

dzalphakilo

Banned
bczoom said:
I still haven't figured out how Rendell got the position in the first place.

I'm still scratching my head on how Mrs. Clinton got elected in N.Y.

I'm curious, is anyone here on this forum African American (black, not a white South African who moved here:whistle: ), and if the answer is yes, what are your thoughts to Bobs question?

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
dzalphakilo said:
I'm still scratching my head on how Mrs. Clinton got elected in N.Y.

It was easy....... the voters voted for her overwhelmingly..... or at least enough that the other person lost the election. Apparently they felt that she was better qualified to represent their views. Personally, I see this as the same as Richard Nixon moving to New York before he ran for president. The hometown boy, or girl in this instance has a better chance of winning the state than a stranger from another state. Personally, I would have a hard time voting for a person that is married to a person that for 8 years couldn't remember much, but when out of the public spotlight can write their memoirs and have them published.

Mark777

HGM said:
:yum: Well, I find that quite laughable....:yum:

.. Frankly it offends me when I watch the news and see all this political correctness tearing this country apart.. To see the mayor of New Orleans making his speach the other day basicly displaying his racism by calling for a "chocolate" city, was uncalled for.. This implies that to have white people there would be unacceptable.. If it was the other way around, Jesse Jackson, Al sharpton and Luis Faracon, would tear it up..

Vanilla City???

HGM

Bob,
I'm sorry for turning it in that direction... I just think some groups thrive on descrimination to get attention... The goal is supposed to be equality, and I dont have a problem with that...By the way, I noticed that my previous post was driven more towards the black comunity.. Thats not really what I intended, I was addressing Nixons post more than my complete feelings... The same issues mentioned there also relate to every other group out there, be it the Native americans(as Dargo mentioned), Cuban Americans, Hatian Americans(often mistaken for African Americans), Puerto Rican Americans(kind of redundant dont you think?), Mexican Americans, Etc.... We can go on all day long but at the end, you will find the "white guy"......Sorry, thats descrimination and no better than what these titles are trying to overcome...

As for your intended topic, I too wonder how people will vote in such an instance.. I find it hard to call myself a Republican or Democrat... However, at this point in time with all the childish games and political muck I am the farthest from the left... When a party accepts Ted Kenedy as their spokesman, it automaticly throws a Loony Toons curve to their party.. I cannot take anything they say seriously because of him and several others, their only ajenda is to hate Bush as nothing else maters...I think America is starting to see that and this may also help..

So right now, although I do not totally agree with the Republicans, I can say that their party most closely represents me.. I couldnt care less what color the elected official is, where he comes from, or even if he is a he..... All I care about is that there is no underlying ajenda trying to be passed... If he cant be unbiased, I have no time for him.... It would be interesting to see how Condi would do, wouldnt it?

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well there is no question that the Democratic party is much farther "left" than most Democrats are. Currently the Democratic party is made up of various ethnic groups, trade groups, and a small core of ideologists. The ideologists have a much of the power at the top of the party but they actually do not represent the core members that are far more diverse.

Black voters, as a group, are generally more conservative than the Democratic party (not to imply that they are as conservative as I am). Black NON-voters are far more liberal than Black voter. So it is actually possible that many Black voters could be pulled into other parties, especially the middle-and-upper class Black voters as those tend to be the most conservative of the African American voting block.

But looking at the numbers, if Democrats currently get about 93% of the Black vote, and if high profile Black candidates run on the Republican ticket, a swing of voters may begin to switch. As Democrats already lost the majority of the white voters, if the Repbulicans can pull a total of 15% of the Blacks to the right, then the Democrats will begin to lose a lot more elections!

That would leave both parties fighting for the Hispanic vote. . .